I think I found Lafitte's treasure

Feb 13, 2021
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While flying my drone along a local watershed after hurricane Sally I was filming trees that had blown with only the intentions of familiarizing myself with my drone. I first noticed what appeared to be an ancient shipwreck, then while filming trees that had blown over I saw something that to me didn't look natural. I have now spent the past year flying the area, researching Jean Lafitte and other pirates, and flying other areas that have for one reason or another inspired me to investigate. My dilemma is the primary area is on state lands in Alabama. Alabama state law says a treasure trove cannot be claimed on state lands because the finder would have to excavate or trespass to locate it. So my question is, what do I do? As of now, I have not done either as I was flying over a public waterway and hurricane Sally did the excavation necessary to expose it whatever it is. I am hesitant to notify the State simply because I don't want to look like a moron when it turns out to be an illegal dumpsite or something. Whatever it is, it's been there over 70 years(I think 2-3x that), many items appear to be metal but show no rust, and there appear be clusters of objects like one would expect to see if the chest originally holding them had rotted away. If I could get close enough to put my hands on it and verify it is what I think it is, I would hire a lawyer and begin the battle. But right now, everything I have is highly suggestive or a treasure of some type, but nothing concrete. ANY ADVICE would be appreciated.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out... and thats to dive it.
IF you do this... dont remove anything... dont dig... IF you see anything that would indicate it is a shipwreck of some type... especially if you see cannons or otherwise...
just document it in video and pictures.

I will tell you this... your time is running short to do this.

The storm may have uncovered her... but the sand will be moving back in like it was very quickly... whats there today will be gone tomorrow at some point... and even quicker than you are / will be thinking.
I have seen things gone in days... weeks... a month... all different time to do so... Once covered with sand... will almost certainly be covered again.

THEN... and only after the above do you "have a leg to stand on"... or will justify your next move... including lawyers etc.
IT IS NOT against the law to dive and take photographs... but beyond that you will risk loosing it all.

Oh yeah... also... tell no one ANY co-ords...

Guard this location information closely.... don't even speak of general areas.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not familiar with state law there regarding trespass.
Where I am state land is accessible to be on. Yes , there are likely exceptions. But I've game hunted many areas of the states holdings.
State land for the most part is free range for citizens.

You need to do a recon.
IF you are allowed on the site.

Treasure let alone Laffite is quite a jump from seeing something that catches your eye.
But if it bugs you , stick with it.
First find the law if any regarding access to the site.
Then check it out if you can be there.
If not , what would you gain by disclosing your hunch to someone or an entity that can access it?

Did Lafitte leave treasure unrecovered by himself or agents or allies?
IF interrupted in plans , perhaps.
Options existed for revisiting sites. As well as direction folks to a site.
Avoiding attracting attention factored. As well as avoiding hostilities or conflicts with rivals. Not unlike you today. Except for observation from above your drone watching you.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021...itte-faked-death-and-lived-in-north-carolina/

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn’t see that it underwater
GO GET IT

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to know, go the site itself and confirm with your own hands on the goods, oh and don't forget to take clear pictures!

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
why cant you get close enough with the drone to see what it is? take pictures with the drone??
good luck
brad

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm a little late to this thread, and it appears that the O.P. isn't following his own thread anymore so far.

But I am humored by the following observations :

1) have you ever noticed that when these fabled treasures are discussed, that the past tense of the word "find" is invariably always used. Ie.: they "found it". Not that they're searching for it.

I grant you that in this case the O.P. did use the words "think" before that. Ok, granted. But we all know of ... uh ... "certain others" where this distinction is not made.

Because in their mind's eyes, if they've seen an anomaly in the landscape, or if their detector beeped, or their research points them to a certain valley or swamp or cave, then presto : They've "found" (past tense) a particular treasure. EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER SAW A RED CENT !

2) And , like here, there's always a reason why they're *so close*, yet can't retrieve it. Reasons like : A) durned them government regulations, or B) How can I dig a hole 100 ft. deep ? C) How can I drain this swamp ? D) Durned them people that might come steal it during the night. Etc... E) Where's a good place to smelt 100 tons of gold, and how can I get it across country border laws ?

But rest assured, they've found (past tense) a treasure. Eh ? Or at least strongly suspect. Now it's just the details of ironing out red tape, excavation, taxes, and so forth.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late to this thread, and it appears that the O.P. isn't following his own thread anymore so far.

But I am humored by the following observations :

1) have you ever noticed that when these fabled treasures are discussed, that the past tense of the word "find" is invariably always used. Ie.: they "found it". Not that they're searching for it.

I grant you that in this case the O.P. did use the words "think" before that. Ok, granted. But we all know of ... uh ... "certain others" where this distinction is not made.

Because in their mind's eyes, if they've seen an anomaly in the landscape, or if their detector beeped, or their research points them to a certain valley or swamp or cave, then presto : They've "found" (past tense) a particular treasure. EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER SAW A RED CENT !

2) And , like here, there's always a reason why they're *so close*, yet can't retrieve it. Reasons like : A) durned them government regulations, or B) How can I dig a hole 100 ft. deep ? C) How can I drain this swamp ? D) Durned them people that might come steal it during the night. Etc... E) Where's a good place to smelt 100 tons of gold, and how can I get it across country border laws ?

But rest assured, they've found (past tense) a treasure. Eh ? Or at least strongly suspect. Now it's just the details of ironing out red tape, excavation, taxes, and so forth.
Tom BRINGS out very good POINTS !1!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody beat me to giving advice. They gave you some great advice and several options.

The question has already been asked in several ways. But let me ask. Since you can see the objects with a drone, what is to prevent you from going to the site and inspecting physically? It sounds like some is even above water. What is the hold up??

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would already have been out there. I hate unsolved mysteries.
If you have to sneak in, Jeff's idea of a tree disguise might work. A good idea. But since in the deep south and swamp country you might consider an alligator outfit. Perfect disguise. But DO NOT go into the swamp in an alligator outfit during breeding season. Man, that could go bad quickly.
Go in ...invisible :)

That is cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread