I think i got a good one today!

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking to my car when i got a strong pulltab ring and thought eh today was a bust so ill dig ! Good thing i did anyone know anything about british coins ? It would be nice to date it and the denomination thnx ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441665869.693126.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441665889.534669.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441665907.859967.jpg

Upvote 11

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tanz,

Your coin has some nice age....it's one of the early George's.....the writing should be latin "Georgus" with Roman numerals after....can you make out II, III or IV after the Georgus name? that'll help narrow it down.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
A left facing bust would make it a KG2. British colonial coinage going back to at least the 1500s would change the bust to face in the opposite direction with each new monarch.

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see any numerals only georgus rex the back only says britania

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tanz,

Well I think Bill D nailed it on the ID of George 11 due to bust facing left....that would narrow the date down to his reign 1729 to 1754.

Try heating up some hydrogen peroxide is a glass jar in the microwave for about 15 seconds or so and drop the coin in and that should remove the surface crud enough to pick up some more details including possibly the date.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Bill said. Its KG11, the date is on the back under Britannia. 1729 to 59. Or something like that. IP, will nail within a few years.
Awesome find
Congrats

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That coin should not have registered as a pulltab--you might want to recheck it with your machine. If it still comes up as pulltab, a possible counterfeit I imagine. BTW, it's a (or was meant to be a ) halfpenny.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin should not have registered as a pulltab--you might want to recheck it with your machine. If it still comes up as pulltab, a possible counterfeit I imagine. BTW, it's a (or was meant to be a ) halfpenny.

Nice find, and this is a good point. Depending upon depth, degree of corrosion/oxidation, etc., buried coins can give abnormal numbers; BUT, this KGII, when laying on the surface now, should ring up similar to an American quarter.

aj

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will re- check it with my machine which is an M-6 . Also when i drop it on a table it doesn't sound like a coin more like a slug ??!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGII Halfpence can have a wide range of readouts due to the ones that were counterfeited were cast and used much less copper, some are pewter/lead, but most are a mixture of copper and other base metals. KGIII Halfpence were for the most part struck, not cast and for those the counterfeiters basically used copper, but made sure the weight of the coin was at least 10% or more less in weight, that is how profit was made from counterfeiting. So weight of a KGII can and cannot be used to say counterfeit, since adding heavy metal like mixture of lead can bring the weight up close or even above Regal weight, but for KGIII, almost all counterfeits are underweight since they were struck, not cast and were for the most part copper like Regals, but much less of it, thus weight is a big factor in helping to determine counterfeit, but a KGIII can read rather high on any detector. Your KGII sounds like it is a counterfeit, of which 40% or so that circulated in this country were counterfeit. KGIII Halfpence are without a doubt over 90%+ counterfeit that we find.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your KG