I WANT TO BURY CACHES FOR FUTURE DETECTORISTS, PLEASE HELP ME WITH ADVICE.

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was in grade school back in the early '70s, I buried a small metal toy treasure chest (identical to the one in this photo) in my local park at the edge of the woods.

In it were a few fake Roman coins I made with dies I hand carved into modern aluminum foreign coins I had first sanded smooth, then stamped into lead disks I made from melting down solder. Plus a 1943 copper penny I made using a 1949, a 1914D made from a 1944D, and a three-legged buffalo made by shaving the leg off. I was an industrious child--just wanted to see if I could do it. They weren't great fakes and wouldn't fool anyone other than another kid like me. I didn't want to keep them after my experiment so burying them seemed like the logical solution. I actually wish I had kept them as mementoes of my misguided youth. They probably would look even less convincing today than they did when I was 13.

I went back many years later but the entire area, including where I buried the chest, was turned into a large pond. No idea if anyone even found it or if it ended up carted away to some landfill.

Attachments

• treasure chest.jpg
    treasure chest.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
RelicFinder77

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
When I was in grade school back in the early '70s, I buried a small metal toy treasure chest (identical to the one in this photo) in my local park at the edge of the woods.

In it were a few fake Roman coins I made with dies I hand carved into modern aluminum foreign coins I had first sanded smooth, then stamped into lead disks I made from melting down solder. Plus a 1943 copper penny I made using a 1949, a 1914D made from a 1944D, and a three-legged buffalo made by shaving the leg off. I was an industrious child--just wanted to see if I could do it. They weren't great fakes and wouldn't fool anyone other than another kid like me. I didn't want to keep them after my experiment so burying them seemed like the logical solution. I actually wish I had kept them as mementoes of my misguided youth. They probably would look even less convincing today than they did when I was 13.

I went back many years later but the entire area, including where I buried the chest, was turned into a large pond. No idea if anyone even found it or if it ended up carted away to some landfill.
too cool

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought of this too
figure if i know im gonna die 0 get diagnosed with something bad
i might try doing this too - or if i cant hunt anymore

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple years ago after a week vacation at myrtle beach I buried six coins for someone to find, just for fun. I think it was three Canadian loonies and three silver clad memorial coins.
Never heard about anyone finding them

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have that same treasure chest coin bank from my childhood still.

Did similar things, but was around 6 or so at the time. All I remember was I was really big into pirates and burying treasure, just something I was born into doing for some reason. I remember once burying a cigar box full of plastic gold coins and plastic gems in my local playground's sand box. Never retrieved it, but I can imagine some lucky other kids did.

At some point during these incomprehensibly early years of my single digit youth, I dug many holes in my back yard and burried cigar boxes containing real coins. My dad operated several coin-operated machines at the time and would give me all the slugs and foreign coins that he sorted out because he knew they interested me. These were the coins I would put in the cigar boxes and bury for fun.

One day, some 20 odd years later, long after I had nearly completely forgotten my old treasure-burying past, I was digging in the backyard to plant some vegetables when I found one of the cigar boxes I had burried as a child. Inside along with some old pre-Euro European coins was a plastic Superman toy keychain I had treasured (and long believed to have lost) as well as a crumpled up empty bag of popcorn, the sell by date of 1997 on it confirming the era in which I had burried the box.

It had been so long I had nearly forgotten about all these tiny caches of loot, but then it hit me, and I remembered what I had done. Now, nearly 25 years after I burried these boxes I still haven't dug them all. One is burried four feet deep under a now full grown cherry tree. It was just a sapling when I was 6, so the roots have gotten in the way now. I don't remember what coins I put in that box, but it was the deepest hole I remember ever digging. I also buried an old sewing machine in the same hole. I only vaguely recall doing this but it's part of my family oral history that the cherry tree is "over the buried sewing machine". My mom still remembers the day I buried it much better than I do.

I however, remember deliberately keeping the knowledge of burying the treasure secret from my parents because I had been told not to bury valuables, the sewing machine I think was supposed to be their way of compromiseing with me - but I put the cigar box of coins in the hole too without them knowing.

I really cannot remember what's in that box under the cherry tree. But I know it was the most coins out of all since the deepest hole, of course needed the biggest loot. I also may have burried several dollar bills in a mini M&M's tube in the same hole - but I recall the hole being nearly filled in by the time I put the tube in it.

So below the cherry tree is possibly a tube of dollar bills, then below that is a cigar box of coins, and a foot or so below that is the sewing machine. There may be other things in the hole as well that I have simply forgotten.

Some person in the future will probably be perplexed when they dig in that area and find all that junk and ask themselves how an why it's all down there.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bury caches.....usally in glass jars with metal lids. Im burying small and large caches, and not all are in jars.....some are in copper pipes with end caps solderd on.
Bart that is nice of you but up here in the cold country the glass jars freeze and bust

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart that is nice of you but up here in the cold country the glass jars freeze and bust
Good thing I'm burying them down here in the warm soil....although I do pee on one of them quite a bit.🤣😂🤣

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did similar things, but was around 6 or so at the time. All I remember was I was really big into pirates and burying treasure, just something I was born into doing for some reason. I remember once burying a cigar box full of plastic gold coins and plastic gems in my local playground's sand box. Never retrieved it, but I can imagine some lucky other kids did.

At some point during these incomprehensibly early years of my single digit youth, I dug many holes in my back yard and burried cigar boxes containing real coins. My dad operated several coin-operated machines at the time and would give me all the slugs and foreign coins that he sorted out because he knew they interested me. These were the coins I would put in the cigar boxes and bury for fun.

One day, some 20 odd years later, long after I had nearly completely forgotten my old treasure-burying past, I was digging in the backyard to plant some vegetables when I found one of the cigar boxes I had burried as a child. Inside along with some old pre-Euro European coins was a plastic Superman toy keychain I had treasured (and long believed to have lost) as well as a crumpled up empty bag of popcorn, the sell by date of 1997 on it confirming the era in which I had burried the box.

It had been so long I had nearly forgotten about all these tiny caches of loot, but then it hit me, and I remembered what I had done. Now, nearly 25 years after I burried these boxes I still haven't dug them all. One is burried four feet deep under a now full grown cherry tree. It was just a sapling when I was 6, so the roots have gotten in the way now. I don't remember what coins I put in that box, but it was the deepest hole I remember ever digging. I also buried an old sewing machine in the same hole. I only vaguely recall doing this but it's part of my family oral history that the cherry tree is "over the buried sewing machine". My mom still remembers the day I buried it much better than I do.

I however, remember deliberately keeping the knowledge of burying the treasure secret from my parents because I had been told not to bury valuables, the sewing machine I think was supposed to be their way of compromiseing with me - but I put the cigar box of coins in the hole too without them knowing.

I really cannot remember what's in that box under the cherry tree. But I know it was the most coins out of all since the deepest hole, of course needed the biggest loot. I also may have burried several dollar bills in a mini M&M's tube in the same hole - but I recall the hole being nearly filled in by the time I put the tube in it.

So below the cherry tree is possibly a tube of dollar bills, then below that is a cigar box of coins, and a foot or so below that is the sewing machine. There may be other things in the hole as well that I have simply forgotten.

Some person in the future will probably be perplexed when they dig in that area and find all that junk and ask themselves how an why it's all down there.
Thats a great story....I have problems remembering all my caches.....I usually leave marks in trees....there is a cipher I use to mark my certain trees from a very old and rare pirate book.....there is one whopper cache that has no marks.....but I can see the spot once a day on my travels.......p.s. a copper pipe with end caps can hold certain coins perfectly stacked in line. Its been the best way yet for me to protect the coins. All my caches are stuffed to the brim and most contain one small gold item !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past 35 years, i have saved pocket change, and have loads of it. Rather than cashing it in, I would love to share it out in several caches, and individual coins, in many locations in my region.

If it were you doing the same thing, how would you go about doing this?

Mason jars? PVC pipe? etc.

I have saved up a bunch of odd coins from my travels. I live on a multiple acre sized property. I have seeded it so when kids who have an interest in metal detecting come over here they are certain to find something. I do like the idea of making a cache or two in addition to the random coins. The kids may get hooked on metal detecting but with unrealistic expectations about what is out there to be found.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is a great idea , but my suggestion would be cash in your change and buy some silver coinage and my reason for that is , silver wont disintegrate like the junk alloys in modern coins .Because no matter what container you put it in if its in the ground even 10 years it will leak or have moisture from hot and cold so silver !

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did bury something in the yard of my first house under a cherry tree but I wouldn't call it treasure. I've always wondered what someone would think if they ever dug it up.

It was a small wood jewelry box with my deceased pet tarantula, Sam, that I found crossing the street in the Grand Canyon back in 1982.

coast40

Apr 3, 2015
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Simplex Lite, AT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Fisher F2, TRXs, CarrotZ, Lesche diggers, Bobcat excavator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you bury this on hOaks Island?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread