What's new

I want to start detecting and have many questions.

heat45

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
I always wanted to get a detector to get into the hobby, but I always talk myself into buying more coins or bullion bars with the money. Do $140 detectors find gold and silver? Do these "coils" wear out or need replacing? What is involved in setting the sensitivity gauges? Are there other expenses? What's the cheapest, yet good, detector?
 
It is addictive to find things in the ground whether its coins or pull tabs or lead solders. First off you don't need a thousand dollar detector to have fun and since you aren't sure if its for you, I suggest you start with something long the lines of a Tesoro Cibola. It is a turn on and go detector. Coils can be submerged in water and shouldn't be pounded on but are durable. Sensitivity knobs are easy to set and do well at half way but if you use to much it chirps to you so you then back it off some till it stops. You should read all you can about the detectors from the manufacturers websites so you understand how they work.

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/tesoro-electronics-cibola There are other entry level detectors out there but Tesoro's have a lifetime warranty. :thumbsup: I suggest only buying new from a dealer that can set it up for you the first time and let you hold different ones in his store. The dealer can help you a lot with extra things you might want like aprons for trash and coins, etc. Then later if you are still enthused you can try mail order.
 
Buy the best multipurpose detector you can afford. Sell some of that gold and enjoy life. When you bought that Uzi you didn't spare the bucks. You probably don't know what you will be hunting for so get something that has preset programs for now and you can play with later. A good detector Will last many years. You can pick up a used Whites XLT on the form classified section for about $450. and XLT's have found targets worth millions. Don't start with a cheap detector. It will spoil it all for you. Frank
 
Two suggestions:
1. Read and observe.
2. Keep your finger off that damn trigger.
 
Frankn said:
Buy the best multipurpose detector you can afford. Sell some of that gold and enjoy life. When you bought that Uzi you didn't spare the bucks. You probably don't know what you will be hunting for so get something that has preset programs for now and you can play with later. A good detector Will last many years. You can pick up a used Whites XLT on the form classified section for about $450. and XLT's have found targets worth millions. Don't start with a cheap detector. It will spoil it all for you. Frank

I agree. And stay with a brand name such as White's, Minelab, Fisher as they all have very affordable machines. Personally I would not advise someone to invest in a lower end machine unless they don't plan on staying with the hobby. One thing I can tell you is that no matter what you pay for your machine you will always pay it off with your finds. I have owned several machines and I have always paid them off with my finds fairly quickly. My most recent machine is only 6 months old and I paid almost $1000 for it and it has been paid off for quite some time with my finds. Good luck and we can't wait to see your finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom