Id Buy That For A Dollar!!!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
I'd Buy That For A Dollar!!!

Yesterday, while picking up some halves at a local credit union, I happened to asked one of the tellers if she had any interesting coins. She reached into her cash draw and pulled out a rather large coin and handed it to me. To my surprise it was an 1885 Morgan Silver Dollar. I did my best not to exploded right there and said that I would gladly take it at which time I promptly paid her one US folding dollar.

I was overjoyed as this is the first Morgan silver dollar I have ever had. Things get better. I began looking for a mint mark after leaving the credit union but really did not know where to look on the coin. My son in law later found something on the eagle side and said he thought it was cc.

Further examination determined that it was in fact a Carson City mint coin. AFter I looked up the value of those I was really ready to say "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

Attachments

• 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gratz, on the find, nice looking shape too =)

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like it's in such great shape it must be a fake. Lol Congrats and obviously I'm jealous.
HH

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a Morgan by itself is awesome but a Carson city mint ta boot!? Fantastic find

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, not trying to be a stick in the mud I have some information for you. The 1885 cc is probably one of the most faked Morgans, as there were only 238k minted and they are quite rare to find in such good shape. I only say this so that I can also say this- GO get it verified by a dealer and possibly slabbed. I am not going to venture a guess on it's authenticity on this thread because I am a nice guy :). All I can say is that if it is real then you have a $600 coin in your possession! Congrats if it's real, sorry if it's not!

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm going to venture a guess and say its real because it seems to have all the wear in the right places. It has typical bag marks and wear above the ear and breast feathers on the reverse. The best thing to do is weigh it and rim check it to see if it matches other Morgan's you might have
Way to go...I hope I'm right

Vergie

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you are one lucky mother @$#&er. Your finds are amazing and fantastic. Good job!

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Thank you all, especially the fellow who suggested I test it with a magnet. Well silver and copper doesn't stick to magnets. Unfortunately this thing did. So much for my great find. Was a hell of a rush while it lasted. Thanks all for the input.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really really dislike China. Just a bunch of thieves. Hope it comes back on them, sorry for the big letdown.

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you all, especially the fellow who suggested I test it with a magnet. Well silver and copper doesn't stick to magnets. Unfortunately this thing did. So much for my great find. Was a hell of a rush while it lasted. Thanks all for the input.

I'd still buy one for a dollar. Just to have it. I've come to terms that I'll never find one in the wild. I've read of people buying fakes for $30 or more. You got yours cheaply.

I found two Peace dollars in my first month of CRHing, but that will never happen again either.

Good find still. You know what to look for now in the future, as you have a good model to base it on now. :)

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw the picture, my first guess was fake, but it's still pretty cool to have. What's even better is that it's a really good fake. There are guys at the shops and shows that sell fakes (listing them as such). You can still make some money off of it—just be clear that it's a fake. Somebody will still want to buy it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about your CC... But every now and then we all have let downs......

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im such a rookie, Id fallen for it. Dayum Chinese......

1) you are only out a buck.
2) you learned something.
3) as others have said, you can probably sell it for more then a buck. ( selling it as a fake I mean )

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I would still buy it for a dollar myself. If you can't afford the real thing and knew it was a replica. at least you only lost a dollar instead of the 600 dollars it would have been worth.

sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread