Id Buy That For A Dollar!!!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
I'd Buy That For A Dollar!!!

Yesterday, while picking up some halves at a local credit union, I happened to asked one of the tellers if she had any interesting coins. She reached into her cash draw and pulled out a rather large coin and handed it to me. To my surprise it was an 1885 Morgan Silver Dollar. I did my best not to exploded right there and said that I would gladly take it at which time I promptly paid her one US folding dollar.

I was overjoyed as this is the first Morgan silver dollar I have ever had. Things get better. I began looking for a mint mark after leaving the credit union but really did not know where to look on the coin. My son in law later found something on the eagle side and said he thought it was cc.

Further examination determined that it was in fact a Carson City mint coin. AFter I looked up the value of those I was really ready to say "I'll buy that for a dollar!"

Attachments

• 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say your out a buck but you can always take it back and tell them it's fake and they will tern it in and give your dollar back. Lol just my .02

Yes, exactly, make a scene and give silver/value education to someone who is obviously ignorant to the idea...

Like others have said, it's still kinda cool for $1. I'd take it knowing it was a fake.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Smitty, I am sorry to hear your "chinese counterfeit" stuck to the magnet, I still think it is a neat find, fake or not, it is a coool conversation piece.
keep on hunting my friend,
hh
buff

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1) you are only out a buck.
2) you learned something.
3) as others have said, you can probably sell it for more then a buck. ( selling it as a fake I mean )

You do realize that this wasn't the OP?...

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a fake one just to see what it looked like in person for future buys..only paid a few dollars for it, totally worth the money.

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Counterfeits are illegal to have in your possession. Just sayin'.

No it's not. By buddy sold something and the guy payed him in 100$ bills and one was a fake and he didn't know and spent it at a gas station then they found out and called the cops after he left and and 5 mins later he got pulled over by 12 cops and secret service tested the bill and everything and passed all of them but the security strip was a water mark and not real strip. They said it is the best counterfeit out to date and they let him keep it saying he can destroy it or keep it but they took full record of the bill. I just know this because I was with him

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Man...Sorry to hear bout that...That happens thou..I had a guy try and sell me one for 50 bucks once...same year and Mint mark

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a fake one just to see what it looked like in person for future buys..only paid a few dollars for it, totally worth the money.

Yea I did the same, infact when the China Counterfiets were there, i bought a Morgan & Peace, and a Capped bust..mainly because i hadnt owned any real ones at the time, But now they are great to have to check for fakes..they weigh the same, but are slightly thicker.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Thank you all, especially the fellow who suggested I test it with a magnet. Well silver and copper doesn't stick to magnets. Unfortunately this thing did. So much for my great find. Was a hell of a rush while it lasted. Thanks all for the input.

Ohhhhhh bummer. It stuck ti the magnet.

Great rush though, and still worth the $1 for the shot. :-)

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Or take it to get engraved that says "copy" some where so your future family doesn't sell it

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Have the word copy engraved on the side edge or in really small print so it doesn't take away from the interesting find. I personally would have bought it for a dollar, especially since I can't afford a 600 dollar coin otherwise, LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do realize that this wasn't the OP?...

Oops. Yes I do realize that now. The post I responded to sounded like it was the finder of the fake talking about it. My bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread