Id like to share a story about a Morgan dollar I found when I was a kid

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
I'd like to share a story about a Morgan dollar I found when I was a kid

When I was about 10 years old, I was helping my family clean up my grandfathers farm house in northern Virgina when he died. my mother and my aunt (her sister) were talking about them remembering their father having a small mason jar with about 10 or so gold 20 dollar gold coins in it. Us kids (there were 3 of us) were driving the adults crazy, so they told us to go find the jar of gold coins in the backyard.I found out years later that my grandmother had told my mom and her sister that my grandfather had sold the coins and that they said it to keep us kids occupied. Anyway,we were digging in the backyard and I dug up this 1885-o Morgan dollar! I was only 10, so I didn't appreciate how special it was. Dad kept it so it wouldn't get lost. Every since then I have wanted to get a metal detector and always found a reason not to. As time went by My father kept the coin and before my he died, he gave me the coin back. I had forgotten all about the coin by then and my want of a metal detector, until he gave me that coin back. That was in 1998 and and I finally got A whites mxt pro about 3 months ago after much consideration and saving.Its a good machine and when I found that merc dime a few days ago it reminded me of this story,so I decided to share it. I didn't find it with a detector, but I did dig it out of the ground, so I would like to hear if it counts or not. Thanks AA

Attachments

• PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0057.JPG
    PICT0057.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'd like to share a story about a Morgan dollar I found when I was a kid

I wish I'd find a Morgan Dollar when I stick a shovel in the ground looking for a non-existent jar of gold. :D

Great find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro

Thanks, brings back a lot of memories. I'm going to contact the people who own the farm now to see if maybe I can detect there(it is still a farm I checked it out last year when I was visiting down there last year). My photographic skills aren't the best AA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Interesting story. I remember digging for clams on the beach, as a young teen, and accidentally digging up an old foreign coin. Amazing the things that can coincidentally pop up during const. digs, gardener finds, etc....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool story. Bet you're glad Dad held on to it for you, otherwise the guy who owned the candy store would be telling the story ;D

Evyballing & parking lot finds & hand digging all counts in my book :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
A

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro

I know what you mean, Theirs no telling what you can find any time your digging in the ground, chances are I wont ever find another one and it was just by luck that I happend to dig a little hole right there as the hole wasn't that big either. and the coin is in good shape except for some tarnish. I would have to be really hard up for cash to get rid of it. Thanks, AA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread