ID Ohio Chert

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this Flintridge or Coshocton ? I've seen knowledgeable people call it both.

Flintridge Mini-Platter.jpg

Upvote 0

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Flintridge and it can be quite colorful.
Coshocton typical run black or greyish sometimes with white veins and even brown or yellowish veins.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one would be hard to tell with out seeing it first hand, and maybe even then without certainty. I have some pieces from a cache that are more white than gray and my archy friend says Coshocton.

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nellie blue/upper Mercer is my guess. The bottom right corner in your pic shows darker material than the older surfaces. From the few pieces I have in coshocton or zaleski they stay black. I've seen pics of Nellie that are now gray. The problem here in Ohio is there's so many native Cherts and others transported here.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Tough call, seen a ton of Coshocton, I hunt the county...but the high quality of silica content in there makes me think Flint ridge as well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nellie blue/upper Mercer is my guess. The bottom right corner in your pic shows darker material than the older surfaces. From the few pieces I have in coshocton or zaleski they stay black. I've seen pics of Nellie that are now gray. The problem here in Ohio is there's so many native Cherts and others transported here.

I believe he is correct.

Nwohseeker

May 13, 2015
Nw ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
holy moly grim thinks I'm correct, I take that as an honor. I apologize for a previous post that I still believe in, but may not have come across correctly although I stand by it. But I want to start contributing here because I read every day and enjoy this site and would like to share and have questions on some of my finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread