What's new

If you are afraid of snakes dont look

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
4,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are afraid of snakes don't look

If you live in the US you know all about the Mississippi River floods happening right now, and you've probably heard about the Morganza Spillway here in Louisiana. Since they started opening the spillway over the weekend the rising water in the Atchafalaya Basin has been displacing people and animals alike. This picture was taken along the road near the spillway over the weekend. Made the news up in that area. How'd you like to run into this guy while you're out in the woods?

News link : http://9reports.wafb.com/MediaItemView.aspx?id=1290866
 

Attachments

  • bigsnake.webp
    bigsnake.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,195
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Is the Atchafalaya the bayou that I-10 goes over for about 3-4miles?Beautiful bayou.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

WOW!!! Very impressive, I wonder what type it is?
Richard
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

warsawdaddy said:
Is the Atchafalaya the bayou that I-10 goes over for about 3-4miles?Beautiful bayou.

yes it is, just west of Baton Rouge, it'll be a good time to get out there when the floodwaters are finally gone, should wash a lot of stuff out of the banks along the river.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Lived near Honey Island Swamp and Pearl River La. for 50 years. That monster snake doesn't look like a indiginous animal to me. It looks like a big python. Not surprising since i have heard reports over the years of pythons moving steadily west from the Everglades, Florida. Also heard they're growing to enormous size, since they're apex predators with no real enemies. Disturbing to actually see one though. Great picture.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

NOLA_Ken, you're sorely mistaken... That is no snake, it's Nessie on land :laughing7:
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Definitely not a python. The heads up position while cruising reminds me of a black snake. It's hard to tell his length from that picture but I know a Black Indigo can get 8' plus. That's my guess and, if it is, it's as big as they come. They are endangered in FL. Very cool and harmless predator.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Never been afraid of snakes, but seeing one that size I think a new world record 100yrd dash would be set! Prayers to all those affected by the floods. Stay safe and HH.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

You could step over that snake in the woods and think it was just a log and never know what you had done .
I'll say one thing I am not afraid of snakes either but if I was detecting in a field and came upon this big boy you would see me leave the field in record time . In fact I would leave a dust trail on my way out.
Wow that is one big snake , and I have seen some big ones in the woods over the years but not even close to that size.

I would like to have this one on the wall , but I would not kill it just for that. I would say we are getting to see something very rare and not often out of the deep woods or swamps .
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

If I saw that in the woods I would soil myself and run as fast as I could
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Rooter said:
Definitely not a python. The heads up position while cruising reminds me of a black snake. It's hard to tell his length from that picture but I know a Black Indigo can get 8' plus. That's my guess and, if it is, it's as big as they come. They are endangered in FL. Very cool and harmless predator.
Just about all snakes(and them nasty green cuban lizards) are endangered around my house.
Got machete!

I'm thinking, could be what we called black runners. Bad enough to come up on one, but they will CHASE you, that was one of the scariest times of my life!
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

You never know, almost looks like it could be a king cobra. Stranger things have happened. :laughing7:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

I got a video of a honey badger, put them snakes to shame.
But it's got a little foul language in it, so probably not best to show.
Guess we gotta stick to snakes.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Looks like a Black Snake - saw one not as big in Central Indiana.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

I really don't mean to sound cynical but I do believe the photo has been manipulated. (Enlarge the photo and look at the area around the raised head) Couldn't find that photo in the link provided either. Judging from the fence posts in the background it would be around fifty feet long...It's difficult for me to believe this is real.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

I went and looked at the link again and couldn't find it either....but judging by the fence posts I'd call it close to 20 feet which wouldn't be too far of a stretch for a python or anaconda let loose in the swamps. I wish I had seen it in person, just to try to ride on it ;D
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

I've seen some huge snakes down in the jungle but nothing like this, most have a thicker body when they reach this length, if the photo hasn't been "enhanced". A Python this long would have a body well over a foot in diameter. Then again, I'm not a Herpetologist..
Richard
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

WoW what a big snake. I hate snakes and yes Iam scared of snakes. I would be scare to come out the house if I saw that thing around here.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

I think the photo was Photoshopped. Largest known American snake 9.2 feet Indigo.

I believe this snake may be about 17 feet. I'd guess King Cobra. Anacondas or boas (forget which) have taken up residence in Florida, so who knows? I'd be happier knowing what date and time this was taken, as most digital cameras today put that information on the photo automatically. I too couldn't find the photo on the link provided.

Too much here unlikely/impossible to be taken as fact.
 
Re: If you are afraid of snakes don't look

Thought I'd throw ya up 2 really bad pic's of a pic.
The hubby killed this python with his backhoe, in the Everglades, tearing down the "8.5 square mile" area of Miami, in the Everglades. They demo'd 386 houses.
000_1324_0002.webp
Everbody got in the shot! Yeah!
000_1326.webp
Not the best pic of pic, but you get the idea.
I forgot how long he saud it was, I'll ask later and post.

I like the big black snake pic best, myself. That's cool!

ps. Nola Ken, he gonna bypass ya'll next week, on way to Oklahoma, Wish we could help save all and everybody going underwater, just one person, can only do so much. We trying to help.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom