What's new

If you found a large treasure....would you be willing to prove it to others?

Human natures dictates that most people will "need" to tell someone about there treasure. To give an answer about proving a treasure, I look at it this way; if you are going to get online and talk about a great treasure you have found or are close to finding and am trying to get investors, you need to give up some of the goods if you expect people to invest. You either show part of the treasure you have located or you show detailed plans and proof it is where you say it is. You don't have to give up the location or anything like that, but you can't expect people to freely hand over hard earned money without some sort of proof you should be invested in. Don't get online with colorful tales or truths and not expect to have people skeptical and want some form of proof before they invest.
 
Not to turn this into a religious forum. But as a hypothetical analogy. Christ said the Good news is like unto a treasure, that when it is found, the finder runs straight away and hides it again. He also said that the Info leading to that treasure was like unto pearls of wisdom, that sholdn't be carelessly thrown about a pig sty, only to be trampled under foot. So too, any treasure worth finding should be kept hidden and the info not thrown about for every naysayer, or non believer to belittle.
 
Philvis said:
Don't get online with colorful tales or truths and not expect to have people skeptical and want some form of proof before they invest.


Absolutely. Even if one is not seeking investors, why even go online at all and tell anything about your secret find?

If you do, then I don't think it unreasonable at all for others to expect some proof, if someone makes certain claims. Are readers supposed to believe everything, just because someone posts it here, lest they be considered negative?

Suppose you were on a Fishing forum and one guy always posted about the big fish he caught, but refused to ever say where or to show any photos.
How about a guy who always bragged about the women he was always bedding, but you never saw him with any and he refused to let you meet any?
How long before you stopped taking anything they said seriously?

Of course I understand why a treasure finder would keep it a secret. But don't then go online and say " I just found a ton of gold.........but I'm not going to say anymore........yeah, that's it."

...and then be offended if some doubted you.


Jay
 
I said it elsewhere and Here it is again for the record.

The only person anyone needs to prove this stuff to is themselves.
And then only once.
The rest of the world is not your worry.
Once you have convinced yourself,
It is up to them to prove it, not you.
If they want to naysay... Whatever makes them happy.
Sit back and have a smug little gut laugh at them
you know they can't prove you wrong.

Just leave it up to them.

Thom
 
Yup, right on Dog ! Laugh away dudes ! Let the poor naysayers suffer. They're all just jelous anyway cause they've never put in the time or effort to really try and find anything on their own. It's their own disbelief which keeps them down and afraid to even try to follow up on any leads that are plentiful out there.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just wanna point out that I'm not claiming that I ever found anything or not. But I'm sure as heck not afraid to look. ;D And I'll never tell if I do find something. ;D
 
The sad part of all of this is the following. Our wonderful country makes all these rules so they get the big cut and we get to spend out shares on chewing gum. The whole country suffers for these dumb laws. What i know most would gladly give to museums etc to show so all could enjoy winds up melted down over seas or stuck in private collections. Its not like any government employee would ever get out and bust his butt to find anything when its easier to steal from the poor who do find it. Our laws on treasure need changed big time. Sad when most countries that we call communist or otherwise are prob less strict on finds then we are. Can only image how many old clay pots or valubles have just been tossed into attics or burried broken into the ground again knowing we cant keep them or share with the world. And insurance laws on claims found they paid off a hundred years ago shouldnt be bothered. Not like they dont clean up enough in interest rates on money paid to them. Thats how they pay claims none of their money is touched its money thats drawn interest all these years they use to pay off claims. So basicly we already paid them for what we find. Plus would be nice to know exactly what treasures have been found would sure ease a lot of research on all our parts. Okay getting off my soap box now i vented i can once again sleep. HH all
 
Lt1stone said:
Depends on what it is.Liquidate it a little at a time and not tell any one about it, but maybe a chosen few.

So you'd tell Big Brother? ROFL
 
Al-nm,

It is a sad thing indeed.
But until the government comes to it's senses and adopts a law like England has...
The finds will remain I am sad to say unmentioned and private.

Thom
 
he probably feels that he can tell people or not tell people... but i think alot of people wouldnt feel obligated to have to prove it to anyone...
 
If you have been in this hobby as long as I have there is one basic fact that is in play here.
There has been and will always be a thundering herd of people who claim to have found a "great" treasure. The problem is that for whatever reason they simply have not dug it up yet. Probably more common with LRL users. Years later you heard about another person who has claimed to have "found" the same treasure and again he "has not dug it up" yet.. Commonly they need investors and still more investors to finance their efforts. Commonly past investors were not of "the right stuff" or tried to "steal" the treasure according to the "finder" of said treasure.

You can see now why there are a lot of skeptics out there. The old time treasure hunters did not publicize their efforts. TT has pointed out the problems. Mum was the word. Some of their successes are only known because passersby stumbled upon them retrieving the cache but their names are unknown. They simply did not seek recognition or fame for their efforts as the monetary gain was good enough.

The finder of Peg Leg's black gold nuggets never revealed himself- He took his secret to the grave.

George
 
Show proof, tell everyone?
I think the ones that do....are creating or extending an old or new "Legend". For whatever reason, some feel the need for attention to the extreme. I'm not saying there aren't legitimate grand finds and recoveries but it's hard for me to believe someone whould actually tell details and show "Proof" to anyone.
For me, the stories and legends are just that, stories and legends. But that is why I hunt for Treasures. Be it coins or lost Spanish gold.
Most to the best finds are those found by happenstance like finding that diamond ring on the last swing before getting in the truck to go home......

PS: Isn't it odd that many treasure stories end with "After years of searching, I finally found the cave with 10 tons of gold bars laying about, but it was late and I got hungry so I'll come back later"........
 
I'm with the ones who say , don't make boasts about finds you're not willing to back up . Anyone can
claim they found anything but very few will believe them without proof . I'd keep my mouth shut !!!
 
RUDY2003 said:
Isn't it odd that many treasure stories end with "After years of searching, I finally found the cave with 10 tons of gold bars laying about, but it was late and I got hungry so I'll come back later"........


"It's funny 'cause it's true"
Homer Simpson
 
If you don't want attention, keep quiet. Any news of a large treasure find will spread like wildfire. Within a short time you can either be a hero, or just another blowhard, depending on evidence, of course. If your not willing to divulge information about your find, then you will probably be labeled a liar or blowhard that nobody trusts anymore. As for me I'm not an attention getter, so I would never let it out. It would be nice though, If there was a place to post treasures that have been found, by ourselves or others anonymously. That might save some of us some trouble trying to find what has already been found. We could delete some of the treasure tales in question if some honesty were involved. And only tell if your sure it's been found.
 
HI room: There is another type, one that has found his / her treasure and is secure in the knowledge that he has, yet for political or legal reasons, is unable to move or touch it. The protection is that only he knows of the actual "deposit's" location.

Yet, he / she also has knowledge of other treasures, some associated with his that he has no intention of ever going after, he is willing to readily share the details with others.

He / she also shares the story with others to help keep up their confidence and faith in the knowledge that treasures really do exist. Success stories are essential to this business, too many completely negative ones are floating around.

Obviously, she / he will never post an actual photograph of the deposit's location, but may of anything else. After all, a picture by itself is no proof unless it includes such data as to be proof in itself, say a Custom Inspector gleefully handling your cconficated find..

And yes, "ego does have a part", . even the posts here suggest this. It is well known that any robbery will eventually be solved because of this inherent weakness in the human. -- "look what I did".

This presents a condition that one must decide upon him wthout physical evidence, mostly based upon his / her past actions and posts. Have any of them ever been proven to be fabrications, unduy active imagination, or misguided..


Don Jose de La Mancha

for the gals.





Our cumputer / composing room

 
I would keep my big mouth shut and keep it all for myself.
No need to 'prove' anything to the nay sayers. IMHO

Finders Keepers
Mine, Mine, Mine.

You did the research, you did the work, you found the treasure. You get to keep it all. I would always be available to take any excess treasure, that you do not want, off your hands for you. LOL Just because I am a nice guy. ;D


HH
Ray S
 
The real irony of the whole thing is there is one post on T-Net that does just that.
Posts all the signs right up to discovery. Instead of showing a whole treasure he does show a coin.
I'll leave it to you guys to find it ... but it is here.

That kind of post is cool.
The location is still concealed and the site is still protected.
If I were looking for proof of a find,
I wouldn't expect more than this.
 
That is a tough question to reply to... there are SO many varables.

I'd like to think I could keep it secret, but what if circumstances dictated otherwise - like being with other people when it happened?

Too many variables.  

Some people think the treasure was put there for them to keep.
Some people think the treasure was put there for them to return.

And I'm not sure I can say either way what I would do unless it happened to me.

My perfect scenario is that nobody ever finds out and I live my days out quietly and without burden.  But Old Dog is right... there is a story out there... and it's a fantastic read!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom