What's new

If you knew were a Cache or Lost Treasure ??

Interesting topic, ego manifest itself in many ways and I can be guilty of it at times. Making somebody elses business my own is ego in all its glory. The "only" times I do this is to subconsciously make myself come across as right or superior. To openly belittle a find of my own, say a common silver dime,etc. knowing there are members that would be excited to find one, is IMO my ego. When I debate why my opinion is more right than anothers is ego fed. As far as posting finds, I am reserved and I get turned off by bragging especially in public forums, internet, tv, newspaper etc.. However I cannot make other decisions or even influence them unless I do it in an agreeable helpful way. To think I have that power is EGO in its extreme. Besides I am a member of this forum that I enjoy and it would close down quickly if no finds were posted.
 
Well Keppy, Dobie and Wilson have made tons of money that way. More so than the average treasure hunter. Are you familiar with 'Coronado's Children' or 'Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales'? Probably you are, but if not, check them out. And in the real world, lots more money is realized from writing about treasure than actually finding it, it seems to me. If not, Robert Louis Stevenson would have been a 3rd rate author, and there would be no TV programs about people lookin for Jesse James' hidden 'cash-ays'.
 
RGINN said:
Well Keppy, Dobie and Wilson have made tons of money that way. More so than the average treasure hunter. Are you familiar with 'Coronado's Children' or 'Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales'? Probably you are, but if not, check them out. And in the real world, lots more money is realized from writing about treasure than actually finding it, it seems to me. If not, Robert Louis Stevenson would have been a 3rd rate author, and there would be no TV programs about people lookin for Jesse James' hidden 'cash-ays'.
RGINN........ That is true a lot of money is made by writeing about treasure................. And a lot of money is made by selling treasure hunting equipment.................... I would say more money made by writeing about treasure and selling equipment......... Than there is in finding treasure....... But there are some that made some really nice treasure finds ..... That has set them up really nice for life ......And some that make a nice living from hunting
 
illinidigger said:
Interesting topic, ego manifest itself in many ways and I can be guilty of it at times. Making somebody elses business my own is ego in all its glory. The "only" times I do this is to subconsciously make myself come across as right or superior. To openly belittle a find of my own, say a common silver dime,etc. knowing there are members that would be excited to find one, is IMO my ego. When I debate why my opinion is more right than anothers is ego fed. As far as posting finds, I am reserved and I get turned off by bragging especially in public forums, internet, tv, newspaper etc.. However I cannot make other decisions or even influence them unless I do it in an agreeable helpful way. To think I have that power is EGO in its extreme. Besides I am a member of this forum that I enjoy and it would close down quickly if no finds were posted.

"Besides I am a member of this forum that I enjoy and it would close down quickly if no finds were posted." - quote

Good point! At least the "Today's Finds" forum would. ;D I don't think ALL posting in Todays Finds is bragging, or ego feeding. In my opinion in most cases, it is a form of expression...sharing the excitement of something we have found with others of like minds. Seeing others finds also serves as motivation and encouragement to ourselves and other treasure hunters.
 
thrillathahunt said:
illinidigger said:
Interesting topic, ego manifest itself in many ways and I can be guilty of it at times. Making somebody elses business my own is ego in all its glory. The "only" times I do this is to subconsciously make myself come across as right or superior. To openly belittle a find of my own, say a common silver dime,etc. knowing there are members that would be excited to find one, is IMO my ego. When I debate why my opinion is more right than anothers is ego fed. As far as posting finds, I am reserved and I get turned off by bragging especially in public forums, internet, tv, newspaper etc.. However I cannot make other decisions or even influence them unless I do it in an agreeable helpful way. To think I have that power is EGO in its extreme. Besides I am a member of this forum that I enjoy and it would close down quickly if no finds were posted.

"Besides I am a member of this forum that I enjoy and it would close down quickly if no finds were posted." - quote

Good point! At least the "Today's Finds" forum would. ;D I don't think ALL posting in Todays Finds is bragging, or ego feeding. In my opinion in most cases, it is a form of expression...sharing the excitement of something we have found with others of like minds. Seeing others finds also serves as motivation and encouragement to ourselves and other treasure hunters.

Both are well stated, excellent points/observations. :thumbsup:
 
I think the today's finds are motivated by pride rather than ego and we could all use a dose of that. Frank
 
Frankn said:
I think the today's finds are motivated by pride rather than ego and we could all use a dose of that. Frank
Your could be right there Frankn..
 
Last edited:
Both are well stated, excellent points/observations. :thumbsup:

Had I not come across this forum and seen what was being discovered, I never would have begun detecting,
being quite happy to purchase my collectibles.
I soon discovered that recovering them yourself is much more rewarding.
After a few years of sharing everything dug, from scrap metal to goodies, I now find myself less inclined to post stories and pics of recoveries.
Still excited every time I uncover a decent target, just not so much in posting about it.
And less interested in the newest and 'best' detectors, I'm having great results with machines from one of the inexpensive Bulgarian manufacturers while the ** top name brand detectors ***** rest in my garage.
Keppy, I am guessing the 'Detectors Used' segment of your profile to be in jest, Egoism? :laughing7:
 
It seems to me that stories and photos posted online convey the exhilaration of discovery in a way that none of the television attempts have been able to do as of yet. If the TV programs can't excite someone who knows the thrill, how can they ever interest the general public. Maybe the fact that forum posts are from the horses mouth rather than being filtered through the production and advertising approval systems.
 
The post is darn near a year old, and I didn't post in it them, don't know why I'm doing it now. I agree with Keppy. I've posted some finds in the past, and posted a lot of arrowheads photos, but most of my finds have been non spectacular, and why post them, unless an ID is needed on a button or something like that. I think I'm posting now because to me detecting is like getting a present. Even with the the readout saying what it thinks it is, it's still and adrenalin rush when you see silver or gold in the hole, and it's fun, or in my case at least, it was fun to share that rush on today's finds. But I don't do that anymore, just seem to be finding the samo samo clad all the time, and who cares. But I do like to help with ID's my 76 years experience has gifted me with, and I do like to see what others have found, so I'm kind of glad they like to post their finds. But anyone should be cautious about talking about large finds. There are lots of lawyers out there, and even if you eventually prove ownership, there is a good chance that a lot will be lost to lawyers and you'd still have income tax on the full amount found before paying your legal help. In this area of Oregon regarding the protected lions, the word is, "shoot, shovel, shut up." Nobody pays the rancher for the livestock the protected lion eats so the problem is taken care of. Same applies here.
 
Last edited:
I just got back from ice fishing, I would have rather been metaldetecting. At least I could come home and get on TN and look at some finds and read a couple stories. Is'nt that what sites like this are for?
 
It's fun to share our discoveries from TH'ing, but on the big stuff I'm a student of KMV and other wizened TH'ers...golden rule. "Keep your mouth shut! Which will probably be one of the hardest things you've ever had to do in your life"
 
The vast majority of posts on this site have nothing to do with cache or real wealth discoveries of any kind . I do agree with the premise of this
thread that it would be much smarter to keep quiet about any really valuable treasure found . T-net has been a real education for me with
questions and answers about the odd buckle , coin , bottle , Roman artifact , Anglo Saxon ,or Viking period finds - it is an amazing classroom
and I can afford the tuition ! Happy Hunting !... and enjoy the free education everybody !!!
 
Where to start? Where to start?

I will try to keep this from becoming a tome, so, here we go:

I guess it all boils down to the person making the find. A person could have several reasons for posting about a big find;

1. EGO. This is by far the biggest reason I can imagine. All the time, people try and sound like professionals here. Offering advice on pictures and finds. If they have something to back up their history (other than their own words), they may seem more like someone for people to take their advice.

2. HOPE; Giving people in the hobby/obsession hope that even if they have not found anything of value, that there are things out there worth the trouble of it all.

I will tell the story that I don't believe I have ever posted before: About 22 years ago, I met a guy that retired at 50, and had a mansion in Newport Beach, Ca. Very cool guy. He told me that he was a treasure hunter. I asked him if meant diving on shipwrecks, and he said no; that he searched for land treasures. I didn't quite understand, and he explained about the whole process of marking and monumenting mines and treasure caches. When I asked him about his finds, all he said was that he had been somewhat successful in the business. It took two years for him to break out the photo album that showed him kneeling next to a stack of gold bars six feet long by three feet wide by three feet tall. There were eight partners, and his share allowed him to buy his mansion and retire at about 50 years old.

THAT gave me the bug.

A few years after that, I found an old gold mine with about $20,000 worth of Colonial Spanish gold and silver coins in a rotten leather bag inside.

THAT gave me the obsession.

In the years that I have been doing this, I have had the fortune to meet seven people whose great grandchildren will not have to work. The last one made his find only about five years ago.

A friend of mine, that is only peripherally involved in treasure hunting told me that when it comes to taking someone's advice, he only listens to two people; Chuck Kenworthy and myself, because we are the only two people he knows for certain that ever actually found anything.

.................. as for myself, maybe part is ego, but the major part is that there are a lot of people claiming to be experts. They pretend to know everything. I know enough to know that they are full of shiite. I have seen people say to greenpeas that they should dig under such and such a boulder. I see that doing so could get them killed. Whenever I see someone giving advice that could feasibly get someone hurt or killed, I step in and rudely tell them the truth.

I don't know. Honestly, some part of it is ego; "Take my advice, because I know what I am talking about!" Some of it has to do with keeping greanpeas safe. Some part of it may even be philanthropic. I doubt that though. There is some info that I keep to myself.

Best - Mike
 
I can think of two instances where ego,pride or stupidity come into mind. The first is on an episode of the show Doomsday Preppers where people get ready for the end of modern society and natural disasters such as the poles changing position causing great floods or a complete collapse of world economy and anything in between. On this one show a guy whose name was given his hometown and pictures of his house and what he has done to be prepared he shows his stacks of precious metals, gold, silver and even some platinum, he even trades some silver of something he needed. Now if that is not asking for trouble what is. The second thing is really about ego I would think. Go to youtube and search silver bars and see how many videos there are with guys showing off their silver stacks, one guy even has himself in to video, now if someone who is dishonest recognizes him it could cause trouble. I don't know if you can track someone from their films but you don't really know. Anyway I think it's not a good practice to show the world all you have accumulated. This makes as much sense and letting a realtor video the inside of your house letting thieves know what you have.
 
That's it, I'm selling my computer today.:laughing7:
 
Where to start? Where to start?

I will try to keep this from becoming a tome, so, here we go:

I guess it all boils down to the person making the find. A person could have several reasons for posting about a big find;

1. EGO. This is by far the biggest reason I can imagine. All the time, people try and sound like professionals here. Offering advice on pictures and finds. If they have something to back up their history (other than their own words), they may seem more like someone for people to take their advice.

2. HOPE; Giving people in the hobby/obsession hope that even if they have not found anything of value, that there are things out there worth the trouble of it all.

I will tell the story that I don't believe I have ever posted before: About 22 years ago, I met a guy that retired at 50, and had a mansion in Newport Beach, Ca. Very cool guy. He told me that he was a treasure hunter. I asked him if meant diving on shipwrecks, and he said no; that he searched for land treasures. I didn't quite understand, and he explained about the whole process of marking and monumenting mines and treasure caches. When I asked him about his finds, all he said was that he had been somewhat successful in the business. It took two years for him to break out the photo album that showed him kneeling next to a stack of gold bars six feet long by three feet wide by three feet tall. There were eight partners, and his share allowed him to buy his mansion and retire at about 50 years old.

THAT gave me the bug.

A few years after that, I found an old gold mine with about $20,000 worth of Colonial Spanish gold and silver coins in a rotten leather bag inside.

THAT gave me the obsession.

In the years that I have been doing this, I have had the fortune to meet seven people whose great grandchildren will not have to work. The last one made his find only about five years ago.

A friend of mine, that is only peripherally involved in treasure hunting told me that when it comes to taking someone's advice, he only listens to two people; Chuck Kenworthy and myself, because we are the only two people he knows for certain that ever actually found anything.

.................. as for myself, maybe part is ego, but the major part is that there are a lot of people claiming to be experts. They pretend to know everything. I know enough to know that they are full of shiite. I have seen people say to greenpeas that they should dig under such and such a boulder. I see that doing so could get them killed. Whenever I see someone giving advice that could feasibly get someone hurt or killed, I step in and rudely tell them the truth.

I don't know. Honestly, some part of it is ego; "Take my advice, because I know what I am talking about!" Some of it has to do with keeping greanpeas safe. Some part of it may even be philanthropic. I doubt that though. There is some info that I keep to myself.

Best - Mike
..Very well said………….
 
That's it, I'm selling my computer today.:laughing7:
…. Don't sell your computer ….. There are a lot more interesting things here on t net … Than what one's find…..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom