I'll show you mine'You show me yours

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well let's hit that, You be the Scout I'll be the Muscle

Wrmickel1

Sorry Mick.......already lined up all the help I'll need for that one.
Besides, ain't you got enough already ?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG - never seen anything like that!!

Would be pretty rare I think, but I have seen the odd photo of similar veins like that online.
There's a second narrower vein coming down from the left side as well, and a mostly quartz part of the same run showing at the bottom.
That ledge might have a fair amount of loose stuff on it. Like a big gold pan maybe....

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be pretty rare I think, but I have seen the odd photo of similar veins like that online.
There's a second narrower vein coming down from the left side as well, and a mostly quartz part of the same run showing at the bottom.
That ledge might have a fair amount of loose stuff on it. Like a big gold pan maybe....

Always like seeing that buttery yellow color in the rocks! At least I can see what you're pointing out in your photo - that's better than 99% of the other photos I see online :). Hope to see you in October.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now all we need from you are the coords ... (chuckles! Sorry, just couldn't help myself).
It is still an awesome formation - I have never ever seen anything like that, on such a scale. Kudus! I really hope it will work out for you - it is well-earned!

OP
OP
wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Mick.......already lined up all the help I'll need for that one.
Besides, ain't you got enough already ?

Take me there if It checks out You can retire without even lifting a finger.

Swimming Pools and Movie Stars

Wrmickel1

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take me there if It checks out You can retire without even lifting a finger.

Swimming Pools and Movie Stars

Wrmickel1

You mean a real live cement pond?

OP
OP
wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
You mean a real live cement pond?

Might even throw in a new set of cement boots, Perhaps to keep the location secret for the next generation looking for the LSM, THE LOST SOMEHIKER MINE

Wrmickel1

OP
OP
wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see it now, Under Somehikers bed they will find 40 pounds of gold and a mason jar of tar sand oil in a old side pork box, and Frank will tell the story how he followed him and at every bend in the trail he was waiting cooking a chunk of side pork. And slamming it down, Then he told Frank next time you follow me I'll make you eat this whole box of side pork, Frank replied in a ruff Clint Eastwood voice. GO AHEAD, I'm tired of peaches anyway! Later Frank will write the SIDE PORK MANUSCRIPT!

Sorry couldn't resist

Wrmickel1

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always like seeing that buttery yellow color in the rocks! At least I can see what you're pointing out in your photo - that's better than 99% of the other photos I see online :). Hope to see you in October.

I'm hoping to be able to swing ten days, so that's fairly certain.
Might have some samples by then, so we can see how they compare with what it looks like in the photo.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Pan some dirt from the bottom area. Gather samples at the base of any little wash coming off the hill. Most gold will collect in the top 4". You find anything then head up that wash sampling as you go. Could be other things of value.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a lode, with that big vein following a well defined boundary between what appears to be decomposed granite and basaltic rock, I don't think I'll need to pan much.
Even the quartz at the bottom of the shot looks to have gold inclusions, and might actually be part of the rock face that has more recently broken away from the upper area of that same vein. The side facing the camera does does look relatively fresh, and the curvature of the quartz seems to mirror the upper part of the vein. Lots more broken rock on that slope as well.
Who knows, maybe you have already found some of what originally came from out there ?
It was other things that had me interested in the place, old diggings and rock walls mostly, and I'd been down there on several occasions. Just hadn't stood in that spot at the top of the waterfall before, or taken any photos of what I could see from there to either side and down the wash. But it was probably getting to be around 115 down in that canyon, and where I was going had water and shade, so I just took the shots and headed for that instead of climbing up there. Put it on the bucket list instead.

thunder god gold quartz.jpg

Last edited:

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1490172

I wonder if any of the gold found by various DH'ers over the years, or even what Frank had in his pan, began it's journey from a place like this ?

Simply unfamiliar with anything previously discovered which is comparable to this.

Maybe someone can tell me what I am looking at in this photo?

Can someone point me to a previous discovery which would be comparable on this scale?

I am talking thickness and homogeneity.

Thank you.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure wish I had taken a picture of my little Tia Juana so I could show it to ya'll...But sadly I did not take any pictures of it...I tried to look for a similar picture of a diamond online and the closest I came was this one here... https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...xFCt4nz5a8lN6p2EVwbfRn4g&ust=1504665810216263 Though mine may have been a little smaller...The color and clarity looks about the same...But my little Tia Juana had what appeared to be a little oily looking patch on one side...Go figure...I still wonder if it really was a diamond???

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply unfamiliar with anything previously discovered which is comparable to this.

Maybe someone can tell me what I am looking at in this photo?

Can someone point me to a previous discovery which would be comparable on this scale?

I am talking thickness and homogeneity.

Thank you.

Only time I've seen such myself.
But I can't think of anything else that can form such veins of that color and soft-looking texture, other than gold.
But it's probably veins like that where specimens like some of these came from...... http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/gold_specimen/Natural_gold2.htm
Any other guesses at what it could be....with comparable photos ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread