Im back with a 6" Build

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Alright, I have to move out on Thursday. I was going to see about extending my rent for another week or two but can only do it by a monthly basis, which I really dont want to do.

Due to the circumstance I'll be returning the brawn dredge floats, scrapping my partial steel frame, and ordering the Keene floats/frame combo as well as the motor/pump plate to mount my 16hp/p350s combo. I'll have to have it mailed to my fathers place in Nevada and pick it up when I move my belongings to his place for storage while Im dredging.

Anyone interested in a hardly used newer Keene highbanker/powersluice? I just lowered the price to $750 on craigslist. I was hoping to sell it before I move, as the less stuff I have the better.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another failed homebuild... Let this be a good reminder for everyone that is going to build their own dredge. Start with the right flotation for the sluice box and pump weight you are going to use and then and only then, after everything is drawn out and configured, start building.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Not a failed build... Just switching to the quickest/easiest/cheapest method of purchasing a premanufactured frame and pontoon set given my current situation. I can easily finish what I have now but I'd have to pay another $1400 per month rent fee just to stay an extra week to finish it. Would have been done by now but other projects (such as installing a 454 into a Tahiti jet boat, head job on a Honda civic, jet ski motor rebuild, and lift block install on a 20' flat bed) that pushed the dredge back.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I could have gone with the easy and cheap method of fabricating a simple frame around some 30 gallon barrels but unfortunately I'm a perfectionist in my work and I'd rather spend the few extra bucks on building my stuff to not only perform well, but look good.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yahoo Reed love them barrels but blue is hard to camo as I prefer white. I've floated 3-4-5-6" with them bullet proof devils and coveth beyond all others. TOUGH is the word-John

Attachments

• Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_0371.jpg
    100_0371.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 162
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I got the sluice and riffle trays back today. They look good, I'm happy with them. I was hoping they were going to have them plated as well but I'll just undercooat them.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Update:

2 days ago I was able to negotiate with my land lord to stay at my current home for another week or two and pay rent on a daily basis. I went ahead and ordered 4 more floats straight from prospectors plus and continued to build my custom frame. They were supposed to call me and let me know whalllt the shipping would cost before sending them out. I received an email from them yesterday stating they had shipped the floats and the shipping cost is $200. The floats from them (the manufacturer of the Brawn Floats) was $650 plus shipping puts them at $850. Yet I was able to buy the first set of floats from Cabelas for $600, with free shipping other then a $55 oversize charge, for a total of $655. Why didn't I order from Cabelas? They are out of stock.

Turns out Prospectors plus sells them to Cabelas for $78 each in bulk. Yet, they find over a 50% inflation in price to single buyers is reasonable. I'm waiting for them to call me back as I refuse to pay $200 for shipping without having a heads up.

Also to make things worse, I got a call from my land lord this morning that I have to move out by tomorrow... No clue why he changed his mind on me staying an extra week.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Just heard back from them, I won't have to pay for the shipping. They were not very nice about it either. Last time I do business with them.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got 5, 15, 30, and 55 gallon white plastic drums for sale dirt cheap if you change your mind again for whatever reason..

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some nice riffles, still have to get some made for my 5" build.
got a new 11hp motor coming, still have to lower the frame where the sluice sits.
DSC05505.JPG

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
those are some nice riffles, still have to get some made for my 5" build.
got a new 11hp motor coming, still have to lower the frame where the sluice sits.
View attachment 1156871

Nice looking dredge.

The ruffles came out well. They are made out of a thicker gauge steel to prevent bending/flexing when large rocks roll over them. They ought to work well.
Here is another picture, I didn't realize I posted the same one twice.

0429151651a_zpszza1oapu.jpg

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice looking riffles. Could you provide the dimensions for them with the ankles they were bent at.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Got all moved in down here in Nevada. Back to work on the dredge. Hoping to have it finished by the end of the week. Dredging season dowesnt start on my claim until June 15th so I'm cutting it close. Dredge is looking good though.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Dredge is just about done. Just have a few small things left to put together. Working on installing the clamps for the riffle system but trying to decide if I should trim some length off of the sides of the sluice. I currently have 9" tall sides on a 20"x6' sluice box. I'm pretty sure that is a bit more then I need. I'm thinking more about 7" sides for the lower 3/4 length of the sluice. That will leave me with 6" of side height above the riffles.

Any suggestions on side height? What are the sluice box's on keene and proline 6" dredges? The keene 6" I had a few years ago d definitely wasn't 9" tall but I don't remember the exact dimensions.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Im back with a 6" Build

I would definitely go with a twin engine for portability and better GPM output for better suction.

And I'll go with the 20-30 gallon barrels over the Pontoons like the rest of the guys said.
Means more money to spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
I would have went with twin engines and pumps but I already had 2 New 16hp engines and a keene 3x4 pump to use.

As of the barrels for the floats, I probably would have went with those but the company who I ordered my floats from wouldn't take returns so I've got these laying around to use as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread