What's new

Im certain you know what this is

Badfrog

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
92
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
I'm certain you know what this is

Can any of you tell me what those are ? I also found some last year, but didn't bother to ask. Now, with four in the same area, I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks

T
 

Attachments

  • wi.webp
    wi.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 417
  • wi2.webp
    wi2.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 414
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

They are about an inch wide.

T
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

I have dug these too. I wonder when they date?
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

Badfrog said:
They are about an inch wide.

T

yeah, leather decors for horse tack
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

I'd have said shoe/boot protectors,worn on the sole to save wear of the leather.German army used them on their jackboots a lot,as did old time workers."Hob nailed boots".
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

Hope you don't mind a little music to go with the picture, but here's a great shot of the decorative studs in the beginning of this tune. It shows where they were usually placed. (the rest of the shots can make you wish you knew the location so you could detect that old mud today!)
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

I really enjoyed the Video. I had to track it down and send it to my 90 year old uncle. He drove a "Twenty Mule Team" for show and demonstration in San Francisco and The Denver Stock Show.
He just finished a book that was published and released just THIS week....
called..."Tales of Mule Twister". I know Mule Skinner Blues is older'n dirt but its nice matched up with those old photos.... I bet he gets a smile out of it.

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
Re: I'm certain you know what this is

Tired iron, I'm glad you liked it. I wish so many of the old timers like your uncle were around here now, as they could answer 90% of our questions for us. My father was born in 1896 and thankfully I asked him just about everything ( but not enough!). He knew about those old teams too, as he was an instructor in the horse artillery WW1. He told me about when he was a small boy living with his father on Fort Sam Houston (probably 1905 or 6) how the old borax 20 mule team would sometimes ride through town! Anyway I digress. It's sure a "treasure found" when we can talk to the old timers who are still around. maybe you can sign your uncle up here?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom