Im in a slump. Please talk me through it!

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I'm in a slump. Please talk me through it!

Been CRH 9 months now. In the last 3 weeks, everything has just dried up. My boxes of halves are yielding less than one silver on average. I've had 7 skunks so far this month, more than any full previous month. Will I keep getting the same coins over and over again from now on? 1st 3 weeks of April I was averaging 9 silver per box, my best month ever. Then it just died. I'm relatively new to this hobby and haven't been through this so I want to hear from some long time CRH veterans. Will the silver come around again, or is this the new normal (as someone else called it)?

Tom

Upvote 0
Re: I'm in a slump. Please talk me through it!

what area are you in? you may have alot of competition out there. I think everyone is seeing the same thing as collections are not being turned in. I know in my area there has been alot of new guys jumping in, so instead of 2 or 3 of us reaping all of the silver, there is probably 15 or more. Just keep at it. Good things come to those that wait.

You may have noticed that there are a lot of new guests on the forum. We are experiencing a ton of growth in searchers. As silver approaches $20 an ounce, some of the fence sitters become serious searchers. We are just experiencing growing pains. More people searching the same coins produces more skunks. Hang in there, the pendulum will swing back your way. JP

This is a very random kind of endeavor , We tend to want to impose patterns on this that
really don't apply . You'll be going thru roll after roll of nothing but clad - then bang you
get a Ben . try letting go a little emotionally or in terms of expectations , also mix it up -
take a break from halves - maybe dimes for a month or two - I've been on dimes for the
last month or so -lots of fun , don't think I've had a skunk day yet ! although I've had lot's
of skunk boxes . Pick up a metal detector for a stretch - take a break from CRH. and come
back re-energized ! Hope this helps - Argentium.

Sorry to hear its not going your way, please can you explain the terms:

Boxes?
Skunks?

Cheers, HH Dan :icon_thumright:

If you cant take the skunks, its time to give up. Sorry to say it that way but there isn't that much silver out there for the demand. The silver gravy train is coming to an end. Those who want to endure skunk after skunk will stick with it, others will either cut back or quit. Its the nature of the economy and the hobby.

dont worry about it, the finds will pick back up soon enough, & i know exactly how u feel...very discouraging sometimes, but it always pays off in the end...stick in there :)

I didn't mean to come across whiny, but the optimism I've always felt (like Gump and his box of chocolates :D) has definitely turned around. I don't know the mechanics of how coins are circulated through the system, am hoping some new (unsearched) ones will come around at some point. I'm in the Southern Calif. desert. Most of my 90% halves have come from loose and customer rolls, but the boxes have yielded by far the majority of the 40% coins. I'm not surprised that the yield has dropped, just how suddenly it happened, like flipping a switch. I figured the long time collectors have probably been through a slump or two over the years and wanted to hear if it was not unusual, even when silver was flowing. I know I'm not the only one getting skunks, that's a consolation. No plans to give up hunting, just want that feeling of pleasure when I find a silver, not one of relief.

If i remember correctly i went through 55 boxes and bags last month for 10 silvers. I would have been thrilled with 1 per box haha.

peanuttom said:
Been CRH 9 months now. In the last 3 weeks, everything has just dried up. My boxes of halves are yielding less than one silver on average. I've had 7 skunks so far this month, more than any full previous month. Will I keep getting the same coins over and over again from now on? 1st 3 weeks of April I was averaging 9 silver per box, my best month ever. Then it just died. I'm relatively new to this hobby and haven't been through this so I want to hear from some long time CRH veterans. Will the silver come around again, or is this the new normal (as someone else called it)?

Tom

Sometimes you have a streak of good luck, and then you hit a slump. What I do in bad times, is order more boxes from a different source, and hit the dimes.
When things go well, I cut back on the boxes, and stop doing dimes.Not because I want to, but to cut down on the dumps.
There are a lot of newcomers to CRHing, but most don't last.
I don't see a shortage of silver out there,I'm averaging way more than last year.
I have to give a lot of credit to those who endure seemingly endless skunk boxes, and never give up.
I get anywhere from 4-8 skunk boxes a month, so your 7 boxes so far this month isn't excessive. I wouldn't even consider changing banks for that amount of skunks.
Keep at it, and your luck will change for the better.
HH
Rich

Been doing this 2.5 years now. Have never gotten more than 11 pieces of silver out of any box.
Most weeks are 6 boxes, some 8. Avg take is 3-4 40%ers for the week, and maybe one 90% every third week or so. I would love to average one 40%er per box.

But its always been like this so never had "glory days" highs to come down from. I know other people have much more success, but why complain? The hoard is still accumulating, though slowly.

Moral: Never give up, keep searching boxes, and a long run of skunks interrupted by one 40%er and then another long run of skunks is not disappointing; its merely

:hello2: One more 40% for the hoard! :hello2:

My 10 boxes last week produced 0 keepers. 14 the week before produced 2 keepers. Worst its ever been. So 2 40%'s out of the last 24 boxes. I already reduced my weekly order and may stop completely if things don't pick up soon.

When I went to dump the other day there were 4 empty half boxes next to the coin counter. Lots of competition in my area now.

Mojo

It's all gone. Most of you need to stop looking. :tongue3:

Put the gun down- doing that will only make things worse! And besides you can't never look for Silver again if ya does that. :laughing7:

coinmojo said:
My 10 boxes last week produced 0 keepers. 14 the week before produced 2 keepers. Worst its ever been. So 2 40%'s out of the last 24 boxes. I already reduced my weekly order and may stop completely if things don't pick up soon.

When I went to dump the other day there were 4 empty half boxes next to the coin counter. Lots of competition in my area now.

Mojo
whoa thats thin

As far as regularly ordering boxes of halves, I gave that up about a year and a half ago. Cheaper for me to buy my coin outright. Almost no finds at all. Too much competition and others ordering boxes, pizzed tellers, etc.
Silver should systematically enter areas quarterly, as that's just how it happens. No explanation, be ready to grab it! I don't know where it comes from, it just shows up magically. If you can put up with a string of skunks for months at a time, you shall reap your small reward, quarterly.

Just got back from my dump run. Hit a number of banks and picked up 27 rolls of customer halves. 20 of them were in new wrappers and rubber banded together in groups of 5. They yielded nothing. The other 7 had 3 solid rolls of silver, and 4 with a good portion of silver. Total take was 24 '64 Kennedys and 74 40% Kennedys. No Franklins or Walkers. No pictures either, sorry. The slump is definitely over. I wouldn't have even been in the 2 productive banks had I not been dumping my non productive boxes. I've got a smile on my face now. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back