Im just not finding the good stuff

soonerdan25

Jun 17, 2008
Siloam Springs Ar
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been hunting steady for 3 years at least once a week. The town I live in has some history but I have ran out of places to hunt without asking permission from someone. I find myself hunting in coin mode nearly all the time because I just want to find anything before I go home ::). Can anyone give me any ideas on how to ask permission to hunt on private propert and any other tips that would help me find more treasure! Thanks HH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
soonerdan25 said:
Ive been hunting steady for 3 years at least once a week. The town I live in has some history but I have ran out of places to hunt without asking permission from someone. I find myself hunting in coin mode nearly all the time because I just want to find anything before I go home ::). Can anyone give me any ideas on how to ask permission to hunt on private propert and any other tips that would help me find more treasure! Thanks HH
Well all the years i have hunted .............. I would never hunt were i would have to ask permission......Never had to or the need or want to........I don't like to beg......Well if you hunt in the coin mode you will never find any....Gold Jewelry........... You should hunt in the jewelry mode........... Better yet the all metal mode............

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
What is your total silver coin count? What are some of your deeper finds? Nowadays, think outside of the box. Try to start hitting houses and private lawns. Everything public is a tough row to hoe. Try digging every pull tab and steel crown cap you can find, maybe free up some deepies.

OP
OP
soonerdan25

soonerdan25

Jun 17, 2008
Siloam Springs Ar
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice I have only found 4 silver quarters one is 1902 4 silver dimes oldest 1898 a buffalo and an 1889 penny but its been so long since i have found anything exciting. I will try the all metal mode and not be so lazy :icon_thumleft: and see what happens HH

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
soonerdan, good finds, you have a few good old coins under your belt. I was just trying to get an idea of where you are at, experience-wise. You are not new to the game, so I'll be frank with you (not Uncle Frank!). The way I look at it is, there is no magic anymore. Just good spots. Good spots are out there. If you find one, can I go tectin with you? Please? Pretty please?? I'll pay you. :(

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the dirt was here before we showed up. No telling where our ancestors lost something like pen knives, coins, etc.... If your only in coin mode your limiting your fun to just coins. You need to over lap your sweeps to cover all the ground. It is easy to ask permission with the right approach. Try friends homes first and hope they live in the older section of town. Even in parks all the trees and bushes weren't always growing in the same spots they are today.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are jusy not into it mentaly. Try giving it a rest. Never hunt when you are distracted.
You have to have a clear mind and be in the zone. I don't find any thing unless I am focused 100% on getting good stuff. Good luck.

OP
OP
soonerdan25

soonerdan25

Jun 17, 2008
Siloam Springs Ar
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
soonerdan, good finds, you have a few good old coins under your belt. I was just trying to get an idea of where you are at, experience-wise. You are not new to the game, so I'll be frank with you (not Uncle Frank!). The way I look at it is, there is no magic anymore. Just good spots. Good spots are out there. If you find one, can I go tectin with you? Please? Pretty please?? I'll pay you. :(
I think thats some good advice from Sandman and yourself its like the realestate moto.location! location! location! first of all and be mentally prepaired to do it which usually isnt a problem because I love to put those headphones on and forget everything else for awhile. HH

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
soonerdan25 said:
...Can anyone give me any ideas on how to ask permission to hunt on private propert and any other tips that would help me find more treasure! Thanks HH

I have never found anything good when I was just walking around, willy-nilly. I had to go to the areas where older buildings/houses/etc used to be. It just takes a little research. For example, if you are looking for 1800's coinage/items, you need to know where the most people were in your area during the 1800's. I am frequently surprised at how many places today are just an overgrown piece of land (now annexed by the city), but in the 1800's, they were Homes/Saloons/Stables/etc.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Location,location & location

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk up metal detecting to everyone. Barber, pharmasist, grocer.... everyone. Like a salesman.... generate leads. Everyone has, or knows someone who has lost something of value. Get your name spread around, and maybe even a business card, and they will look for YOU. Keep a notebook and FOLLOW UP, just like a salesman. If that just sounds too hokey for you, consider it a test and watch the leads roll in! TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never hunt an area I didnt have to ask!!I look at as the landowner has "protected",it for all these years and I dont have to take some elses seconds.Just ask,offer to show them that you leave no evidence of a "dig",show respect,I offer them some of the finds.Dont beg,if the answer is no,then its no.Move on.Research,research research

U

umrgolf

kuger said:
I would never hunt an area I didnt have to ask!!I look at as the landowner has "protected",it for all these years and I dont have to take some elses seconds.Just ask,offer to show them that you leave no evidence of a "dig",show respect,I offer them some of the finds.Dont beg,if the answer is no,then its no.Move on.Research,research research

:icon_thumleft:

Over the last few years, 95% of the better stuff I've seen come out of the ground was on private property. Really simple to ask and receive permission.. Go into it with the mindset that even if they say no, you'll be in the same boat you were in if you didn't ask. Show respect and start by introducing yourself, tell them you like to metal detect and find old relics and you were just stopping by to see if they would mind. Assure them that you will take care of their property by removing any trash you find and you'll be replacing the small plugs you dig. You really don't need to say much more than that. If they ask to have some of the finds, I always say absolutely. Doesn't hurt to give them a portion of the finds if they ask. From past experience, I'd say its about a 60%-70% success rate. Just can't get discouraged or embarrassed to hear "No".. It's gonna happen. Just reply with a simple "Ok, thanks anyway", smile and move on.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
kuger said:

Over the last few years, 95% of the better stuff I've seen come out of the ground was on private property. Really simple to ask and receive permission.. Go into it with the mindset that even if they say no, you'll be in the same boat you were in if you didn't ask. Show respect and start by introducing yourself, tell them you like to metal detect and find old relics and you were just stopping by to see if they would mind. Assure them that you will take care of their property by removing any trash you find and you'll be replacing the small plugs you dig. You really don't need to say much more than that. If they ask to have some of the finds, I always say absolutely. Doesn't hurt to give them a portion of the finds if they ask. From past experience, I'd say its about a 60%-70% success rate. Just can't get discouraged or embarrassed to hear "No".. It's gonna happen. Just reply with a simple "Ok, thanks anyway", smile and move on.
:thumbsup:
Very well said!!
Many may think its crazy but they dont mean much to me....I carry Merc dimes,Indian head pennies,even Barber coins I have found,and always give one or two to landowners if I found them there or not

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
You Want to find the Good Stuff? Gold Rings? Silver? Natral Gold?

TURN OFF the decrimination, Hunt All Metal , Dig it All.

Hunt places that coins was used.

You have to put the Coil over the goods and know what to hear to find it.

Oh, Computer TID numbers Lie!

LOL

U

umrgolf

kuger said:
umrgolf said:
kuger said:

Very well said!!
Many may think its crazy but they dont mean much to me....I carry Merc dimes,Indian head pennies,even Barber coins I have found,and always give one or two to landowners if I found them there or not

For sure, I've never done that, but if the landowner asks to have some things, it doesn't hurt to give him some of the more common finds from the property. Most of the yards I dug where there was civil war stuff turning up, I offered them an eagle button or two. Never ever had anyone ask for more, as most of them are shocked anything was in their yard to begin with. On the really fruitful properties, I'll make a little display case with some relics as well. Wherever you may fall into the spectrum of "how much to give to the landowner" is up to you. Some give nothing, some give a little, some give all. Personally, I'm not in the business of breaking even. :laughing7: I like to keep most of what I find.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
kuger said:
umrgolf said:
kuger said:

Very well said!!

For sure, I've never done that, but if the landowner asks to have some things, it doesn't hurt to give him some of the more common finds from the property. Most of the yards I dug where there was civil war stuff turning up, I offered them an eagle button or two. Never ever had anyone ask for more, as most of them are shocked anything was in their yard to begin with. On the really fruitful properties, I'll make a little display case with some relics as well. Wherever you may fall into the spectrum of "how much to give to the landowner" is up to you. Some give nothing, some give a little, some give all. Personally, I'm not in the business of breaking even. :laughing7: I like to keep most of what I find.
Exactly,I usually pull the coin stash,only when not much has surfaced.Many people automatically think we are getting rich doing this stuff and if you say you didnt find anything at all it can raise suspicions.I consider it just a token of thanks though.I used to do the "you can pick what you want",but that has bit me,so I dont usually offer that anymore but never hide anything either.I have a very good friend that dug 8 $20 gold coins in a stash back in the 80's on a family's property,that is about 2000 acres.He gave 4 of the family member each a gold coin.......that man has never had to ask for permission since.....word traveled like wildfire and he is now the godfather of land in my area

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looking at the map of watts i can see there are all sorts of farm fields
i would start by asking the farmers for permission to hunt their fields

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
This summer my wife and I got wind of the city purchasing the old golf course. we went to the city Mayor and got written permission to hunt the property any time we wanted to.

The property was in use from 1917 to 2007, now we ain't getting rich out there but we have found many Silver coins and old Wheat Pennies. To date no jewelry, but we did find a old Silver box about the size of a Silver Half Dollar with a Silver child's Rosary in it, to me a nice find.

We are always keeping our eyes and ears open as opportunity's are out there you just need to watch for them. Most people know what metal detectors are about and are willing to go along with you.

Good luck and keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to talk to people and ask permission. Rick :coffee2:

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
Soonerdan, I don't know if you tried this before, but I have found silver in the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the road. Some of it I have found in as little as a 6 inch wide strip. No permission should be needed but I would be careful about it if it is well maintained in front of a well maintained house (well sodded, mowed, and edged, etc.). The areas by small churches have been the most productive. Use Google Earth and have it map out the churches in your area. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread