SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to CRH so whats DUMPING???

I apologize for the "newbie" question but I hear all this "dumping" and I don't exactly understand what that means... I am assuming you are returning the halves (or whatever coins that you CRH) to the bank or what is that?

I'm thinking about going to the bank and getting my first box of some coins to look through... Is quarters a good idea or sticking to halves?

I just picked up metal detecting and this is another way to get to the treasure :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize for the "newbie" question but I hear all this "dumping" and I don't exactly understand what that means... I am assuming you are returning the halves (or whatever coins that you CRH) to the bank or what is that?

I'm thinking about going to the bank and getting my first box of some coins to look through... Is quarters a good idea or sticking to halves?

I just picked up metal detecting and this is another way to get to the treasure :icon_thumleft:

Quarters are a great idea for someone starting off. Easy to rim check, you can search through it quick. Dont have to worry about 40 percentas. And banks will have them on hand. Quarters are easier to return (dump) as well, looks less suspicious.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Quarters are a great idea for someone starting off. Easy to rim check, you can search through it quick. Dont have to worry about 40 percentas. And banks will have them on hand. Quarters are easier to return (dump) as well, looks less suspicious.

That is true, but halves will have better finds in general. Also dimes may be worth hunting over halves in some areas.

Read the Beginner's Guide, it will answer a lot of questions:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, quarters are by far the easiest to start off on but pennies are even better to start off on because wheat pennies (last minted in 1958) are easy to spot. try buying $100 in quarters or $10 in pennies each time and work your way up from there. Don't be afraid to get skunked though :)

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Id start with pennies and dimes. Quarter results are always slim. Where as you'll be sure to hit something with the dimes and pennies.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest edge checking the dimes (use a silver dime for edge comparison, they can be bought for under $2.50 at the coin shop if you don't have one), then date check the dimes until you're comfortable to just edge check! But I still recommend pennies or quarters first for a beginner :)
Id start with pennies and dimes. Quarter results are always slim. Where as you'll be sure to hit something with the dimes and pennies.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters ALL the way

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sure you have a bank with a good coin sorter or else dimes wont be worth it.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you take the coins back to a DIFFERENT banking company, or at least a different branch of the same bank. That makes people cranky.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your input guys, I am going to buy $30 in dimes and $15 of pennies to start me off tomorrow.

:3coins:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well dumping is typically when you take the clad, and take it back to the bank and they give you cash for the clad if you know what I'm sayin. Also AgLust91, good thing you asked that Q here cause if you asked that to a teller she would probably tell you to leave.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well dumping is typically when you take the clad, and take it back to the bank and they give you cash for the clad if you know what I'm sayin. Also AgLust91, good thing you asked that Q here cause if you asked that to a teller she would probably tell you to leave.

"Yes ma'am I did ask what is dumping" ..... "I certainly beg your pardon sir"..... "DUMPING... What is it?"....... "Get out of here you disgusting hessy" haha

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Am I Laughing???

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: 8-)

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if this is any help to you, but I wrote a quick primer on coin roll hunting to introduce new people to the hobby. It very briefly covers your topic. Let me know if you think it's any good! :dontknow:

What is Coin Roll Hunting?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if this is any help to you, but I wrote a quick primer on coin roll hunting to introduce new people to the hobby. It very briefly covers your topic. Let me know if you think it's any good! :dontknow:

What is Coin Roll Hunting

Golden Eagle,

This was a well written article that was right up my alley! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with the whole community far beyond most peoples concern... This hobby has a lot of "doers" and it makes it a great experience for all levels.

CHEERS
:occasion14:

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any tips on how you're able to dump large amounts of coin? I see folks dumping thousands in halves every week. My local banks seem to frown on a couple hundred. Would love to step it up.

OP
OP
S

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you take the coins back to a DIFFERENT banking company, or at least a different branch of the same bank. That makes people cranky.

Thanks for the sound advice accordselux, I tried to go into a local bank today to return all the quarters I hunted ($100) and they turned me away cause I didn't have an account with them... I get that kind of but I was a little bummed not to be able to trade my quarters in for a run on dimes :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread