In case you were wondering what 4-h is...

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H History

4-H didn't really start in one time or place. It began around the start of the 20th century in the work of several people in different parts of the United States who were concerned about young people.

The seed of the 4-H idea of practical and “hands-on” learning came from the desire to make public school education more connected to country life. Early programs tied both public and private resources together for the purpose of helping rural youth.

During this time, researchers at experiment stations of the land-grant college system and USDA saw that adults in the farming community did not readily accept new agricultural discoveries. But, educators found that youth would "experiment" with these new ideas and then share their experiences and successes with the adults.

So rural youth programs became a way to introduce new agriculture technology to the adults. A.B. Graham started one such youth program in Ohio in 1902. It is considered the birth of the 4-H program in the U.S. When Congress created the Cooperative Extension Service at USDA in 1914, it included boys' and girls' club work. This soon became known as 4-H clubs - Head, Heart, Hands, and Health.

Nearing its 50th anniversary, 4-H began to undergo several changes. In 1948, a group of American young people went to Europe, and a group of Europeans came to the United States on the first International Farm Youth Exchange. Since then, thousands of young people have participated in 4-H out-of-state trips and international exchanges. 4-H began to extend into urban areas in the 1950's.

Later, the basic 4-H focus became the personal growth of the member. Life skills development was built into 4-H projects, activities and events to help youth become contributing, productive, self-directed members of society. The organization changed in the 1960's, combining 4-H groups divided by gender or race into a single integrated program......Now, get your kids and reletives involved in good old country education! and yes, we teach hunting,fishing,rockclimbing,skeet,crafts,livestock,games,3 huge square meals,4 with s'mores around the campfire at night, Appalacian heritage,History of all sorts,talent shows,swimming in the olympic size pool,archery,hiking......need I go on? Yep! last but not least! .......A treasure pit built by myself with metalic 4-h treasures to teach kids.....Metal Detecting.....can I breath now or do you get it? lol

Attachments

• Camp-30.jpg
    Camp-30.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 196
  • baseball-58.jpg
    baseball-58.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 190
  • AlWright-60.jpg
    AlWright-60.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Camp-30.jpg
    Camp-30.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 195
  • girl ft lodge -car_1950\'s.jpg
    girl ft lodge -car_1950\'s.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 195
  • girlWorkout_7-14-30.jpg
    girlWorkout_7-14-30.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Plucking chicken_40-49.jpg
    Plucking chicken_40-49.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 194

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, 4-H staff,
This is a pretty good wrire-up and pics. Brings back some memories of when I was in the 4-H.
I didn't get to the camp but had some good learning experiences and a lot of fun and competing
against some of the other 4-Hers in our various projects. Our Achievement Day at the end of
the year was especially enjoyable. We would all get a day off school and all our projects
and livestock was all judged and we would all get to see a free movie in town. That was in
Manistique Michigan. In the upper penninsula.

Thanks for sharing

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread