In search of Pirate Treasure in the British Virgin Islands. Warning kind of a long po

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
I had the opportunity to do some work in BVI and was able to bring my Equinox 800 along for the ride. Had a boat drop me off on an island near Virgin Gorda on 3 separate occasions and went full Robinson Caruso on the island. It was probably the roughest detecting I’ve ever done, no marked trails, steep inclines, cliffs, head tall vegetation full of cacti and throned bushes, spiders, bees, hoards of wild goats and 85 degree heat with almost no shade.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658536.671627.jpg

Day 1: I spotted a tree about half way up the hill that stood out as being bigger then the rest of the vegetation and made my way to it. It was obviously an old camp site. Along the hills edge were countless old broken bottles (unfortunately I couldn’t find any that were intact) and burned cong shells. None of the items were more then 2-3 inches under ground dude to rocky terrain.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658631.578031.jpg

I found several what I believe are musket balls .65 - .67 caliber according to my caliper.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658660.830037.jpg

Several smaller musket balls with punched out holes (apx .59 in). I’m open to suggestions on what you guys think these are. I’ve seen musket balls being re-purposed as fishing net weights. However the holes seem very narrow? Could these have been used as jewelry?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658762.335142.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658775.269196.jpg

I pulled out (and completely scratched :( a flat button). It has the word “Plated” on the back.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658802.353526.jpg

Favorite found of the day was a lead playing die!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554658852.206735.jpg

Day 2: I decided to push to the top of the biggest hill. Again there was evidence of a camp site. Old broken glass bottles, pottery fragments, and more of the same;

Day 3: this was yet another overgrown camp site between two hill tops. I snagged a nice button. The back reads “Rich Gold Surface”.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659031.600833.jpg

A couple of what’s its???
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659068.419909.jpg

And a few more musket balls.

A rather large .97 in (apx 25mm) lead shell fragment. This one stumps me. I found fragments of these shells all over the base and middle of the island.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659112.170789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659133.104476.jpg

Although I was really hoping for a coin to help date the site, I still had a blast, not to mention a hell of a workout.

I’m hoping the TNet community can chime in on ANY pictures you see to help with dating these finds!!!

Few more group pictures:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659303.265731.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1554659326.399925.jpg

Upvote 23

Kmatch7

Mar 24, 2013
New jersey
Detector(s) used
At pro
Bounty hunter quick draw
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dice piece is pretty cool. Sounds like a fun experience.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That “what’s it” is a pipe stem. Find the hole diameter and you have yourself a date range[emoji256]

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool hunt! Hope you had a bottle of rum to keep hydrated for the full pirate experience. Congrats

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Musket Ball...That Has Been Wormed?

Several smaller musket balls with punched out holes (apx .59 in). I’m open to suggestions on what you guys think these are. I’ve seen musket balls being re-purposed as fishing net weights. However the holes seem very narrow? Could these have been used as jewelry?
View attachment 1700350
View attachment 1700351

Jim Davis[FONT=q_serif], Provider of Options at Alternative Resolutions LLC (1976-present)

[/FONT]
Updated Jan 10
[FONT=q_serif]I believe what you have found are balls that have been “wormed.”
Since a musket was loaded from the muzzle and was essentially a tube open only on one end it was a problem to remove the ball and charge if for some reason the propellant charge failed to ignite.
The answer is a device called a worm, which is an old term for a screw.
main-qimg-a3c0451236b791cbe0ac6150532a1f55

The worm was screwed on the end of a ramrod, pushed down the barrel, and then screwed into the soft lead ball. The ball was then pulled out of the barrel.
This is what they looked like after.
main-qimg-90fe504bdc7ea26fc9abf09e464d2cb7

I wouldn’t say they were common, on the other hand I wouldn’t say they were not!

[/FONT]

OP
OP
Locke

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
That “what’s it” is a pipe stem. Find the hole diameter and you have yourself a date range[emoji256]

Thanks! I didn’t realize that’s what it was, assumed it was a bead of some sorts!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool Die recovery! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Locke

Locke

Oct 16, 2007

Jim Davis[FONT=q_serif], Provider of Options at Alternative Resolutions LLC (1976-present)

[/FONT]
Updated Jan 10
[FONT=q_serif]I believe what you have found are balls that have been “wormed.”
Since a musket was loaded from the muzzle and was essentially a tube open only on one end it was a problem to remove the ball and charge if for some reason the propellant charge failed to ignite.
The answer is a device called a worm, which is an old term for a screw.
main-qimg-a3c0451236b791cbe0ac6150532a1f55

The worm was screwed on the end of a ramrod, pushed down the barrel, and then screwed into the soft lead ball. The ball was then pulled out of the barrel.
This is what they looked like after.
main-qimg-90fe504bdc7ea26fc9abf09e464d2cb7

I wouldn’t say they were common, on the other hand I wouldn’t say they were not!

[/FONT]

Thanks for the input! The holes are very similar to the middle one in your picture!

OP
OP
Locke

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
the lead with a hole - fishnet weights?

Bill

Perhaps. Although the holes seem a little too small? They definitely fished there though, as I did find hand made fishing weights. Might be drilled out musket balls as well?

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A Dark Story?..From History?

I would like to “Speculate” on what may have taken place on this island.

What concerns me is with the numerous finds of “Wormed Musket Balls”.

I do not believe these Musket Balls were used for fish nets.

Usually the Musket Balls used for fish nets are found with holes drilled right through the ball.

I would surmise with the frequent problems occurring, of Musket Balls becoming stuck in the barrels, that this would indicate whoever was loading these Muskets were either unknowable as to the right quantity of powder to use, had inferior powder, or allowed the powder to get wet.

It would have been highly unlikely of a British Military Regiment to suffer these consequences, along with the presence of what appears to be gambling and drinking.

It would have been illogical for Pirates to have used this distant location for a camp, so far from the safety of their ships.

I believe what you quite possibly located was once an encampment of “Rebel Slaves”.

The British Virgin Islands suffered a Dark Time in History starting in 1823 with what was called The Slave Revolt.

Britain in 1807 enacted the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act and in 1833 the Slavery Abolition Act.

The Slave Revolt started when the Slaves heard that Britain had freed Slaves other than the ones working in the British Virgin Isles, along with rumors that they would only be freed on a gradual basis, if at all.

The resentment grew when numerous Freed Slaves from other territories were noticed living amongst them.

These rebellions started with raids against the wealthy Plantation Owners.

I believe the Button you located came from one of these raids.

This Button may have been made by the William Wallis Button Mfg. Company of England 1800-1829.

It appears to me to be of a higher grade (Rich Gold Surface) than those made for the Military, but rather ones purchased by the Rich Plantation Owners.

The Rebel Encampments were eventually put down by the British Grenadiers with the execution of these Rebels on the spot.

There may be found burial locations near where you found this encampment.

As is said…Metal Detecting…Can locate more than metal…It can also locate…History!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm gonna have to chime in on your drilled lead balls. I found a pile of them on Antigua years ago. The holes went all the way through which is not indicative of a wormed musket ball, and most were too "out of round" to be musket balls. We considered them fishing net weights.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm gonna have to chime in on your drilled lead balls. I found a pile of them on Antigua years ago. The holes went all the way through which is not indicative of a wormed musket ball, and most were too "out of round" to be musket balls. We considered them fishing net weights.

I’ve found plenty of those way up on the Southern New England coast. Simple and easy fishing weights made from a readily available source.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one button with 4 holes appears to be off of Gilligan's shirt. I'd spend a bit more time there looking for Mary Ann.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a dream hunt wow I love detecting so much just wow Thanks for sharing your hunt and finds hope you find a treasure half the fun is hunting for it

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread