Incredible Civil War Finds....sword buckle, spencer bullets, ring, buttons

L

lovedigging

Incredible Civil War Find's....sword buckle, spencer bullets, ring, buttons

Had to go to the dentist today so when I was done, I thought that I'd go out and hunt for a few hours at a spot where I found 2 camps in previous hunts. Wow! Am I glad I did! I found the ring within 5 minutes of turning my machine on. It is obviously hand carved, no interior markings, yet there are "carve" marks. I decided to hit that area hard, and within 20 yards I dug my first spencer bullet of the day. From then on, I literally was digging every 2 minutes. After 3 hours I had dug, non-stop, it was getting dark when i hit a great signal and dug the buckle. All in all I dug 23 spencer bullets, a ring, a buckle, 2 flat buttons, numerous spencer casings,lots of melted lead.. One of the cooler bullets (I thought) was a half melted 3 ring bullet. All of this stuff came from a very small area, approximately 20 yards x 20 yards. It literally looked like I had taken a tractor in there and plowed to plant a garden from all the holes that touched each other... Before I could completely cover the area I ran out of daylight so I hope to get back there soon to see what else is left...

Attachments

• img_0419.jpg
    img_0419.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • img_0420.jpg
    img_0420.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,234
  • img_0421.jpg
    img_0421.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • img_0425.jpg
    img_0425.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 796
  • img_0424.jpg
    img_0424.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Incredible Civil War Find's....sword buckle, spencer bullets, ring, buttons

Beautiful Sword Plate. The close up pictures show the detail for sure! :wink: Let me stress from me personally, that I was suggesting that it was a clean near flawless plate! :wink:

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

civilman1 said:
Tc....Probably one of the best dug sword plate's I've seen,Great Job :thumbsup: The ring is something else though,a little bit more personal.Excellent day and good job on the Spencer's and button's.Congrat's and HH!!
Thanks Civilman for your reply, I would say it was my best evening digging so far and I'm looking forward to hitting it again....

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

{Sentinel} said:
Beautiful Sword Plate. The close up pictures show the detail for sure! :wink: Let me stress from me personally, that I was suggesting that it was a clean near flawless plate not a counterfeit.
No problem Sentinel... I plan on carrying my camera with me on future hunt's and hopefully if I'm lucky enough to find something else cool I'll photograph it while it's still in the hole so I can post it on TN...

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

I want a buckle like that to WEAR!
Very patriotic and American image.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc

for a 20 x 20 spot all I can say is WOW but I have to ask why did you go home? let us know how you do on your return trips great spot congrats HH Vrent

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

Vrent said:
for a 20 x 20 spot all I can say is WOW but I have to ask why did you go home? let us know how you do on your return trips great spot congrats HH Vrent
Vrent, Beleave me I didn't want to leave. I dug until I could'nt see anymore and was actually sifting through the dirt to find my last bullet. I knew by the signal it was a spenser bullet but had a hard time finding it. Usually I have a hat in my pouch that has built in lights but last week I got caught in a down pour and took everything out to dry, Just had'nt put it all back in yet. Won't have time to hit it again until the beginning of the week so hopefully I'll update you then. Thanks for the reply....

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

Wow...Wow! With all those bullets, the ring, and the buckle found in that small of area, it sounds like a life was lost there. So sad to think what bit of history could of taken place on that spot. The dirt probably was soaked with blood.......

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA

Does the ring look to have hammer marks on it ; Like wrought iron marks ? Soldiers with time on there hands would often fashion rings out of coins by hammerring the coin to shape with a spoon and then carving away the center to provide the finger hole .

dorkyguy

Feb 20, 2008
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

TC/DC (not be confused with AC/DC ;D).....
Holy schnickeys! now that's a day's haul!

shame some people have to be like that......make'em all squirm with jealousy with some awesome "in the hole" pics!

they'll look like this: :tard:

Keep posting the pics, 'cause I like em!

DG

OP
OP
L

lovedigging

PRAIRIEWOLF said:
Does the ring look to have hammer marks on it ; Like wrought iron marks ? Soldiers with time on there hands would often fashion rings out of coins by hammerring the coin to shape with a spoon and then carving away the center to provide the finger hole .
Prairiewolf, The ring does have hammer marks on it and I had hoped to of found initials on it after I cleaned it up but their was nothing there. To me it kind of look's like a stainless nut that was made into a ring. No matter what it is made out of I really like it and was very happy to find a ring from that long ago. Thanks for the reply...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is most certainly a banner find! Come on mods...how often do we see a find of this nature in this condition!!! BANNER!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! I love finding those Spencers. They're such a late-war addition to the CW arsenal. I assume you know that even though the casings have deteriorated over time, the circular bottom end of the casing is usually still in the hole...

Did you clean that belt plate with brass polish or something?

Regards,

Buckleboy

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrats on some incredible finds! Thats the kind of day we all dream about. Which machine were you using the DFX or XLT?
Mike

Nuttdriver

Mar 9, 2008
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/stock 5"x8" coil, NEL Snake 3.5"x6.5" coil and NEL Hunter 12.5"x8.5" coil.
Shadow X2 with 4" (coin sniffer in trash), 7" and 9" coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like you've got an outstanding spot!! I can't wait to see what else you find. :thumbsup:

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000

Thats AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see what other finds you will get around the area.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dcooper1 said:
I would like to thank everyone who replied about another nice set of finds by my brother. One the other hand I would like to remind some of the other commenters about the inappropriate questions and comments, not only my personal opinions but the "site" as well. For those of you who haven't read, here is the quote:

Occasionally a member may have doubts about the authenticity of an item posted by another member. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).

2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.

3. Members are free to express such opinions to one another in private messages, but should NOT continue to do so if those messages are unwelcome.

4. Do NOT report doubts, suspicions, possibilities, or rumors to moderators or the administrator. Any formal report or complaint should be accompanied by full and absolute proof from independent, authoritative sources that the item is not, and cannot be, genuine.

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in censure, loss of privileges &/or access to certain forums, or outright banning from TreasureNet.

All finds posted are presumed to be genuine, and those who post them are to be respected.

Anyone with remaining doubts about his finds could only be caused by extreme jealousy. He has only been hunting for a short time and has already compiled a collection that MOST people could/would never find in a lifetime. He has spent a LOT of time in the woods during the past 6 months and has worked hard for everything he has found. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with him on several occasions and almost every time he comes up with something great (Buckles, cannon ball, $6,000 diamond ring).

The doubters should feel extremely fortunate that he is willing to share his recoveries by posting the pictures/stories on here. I/we will make note of who you are so when we open our museum with all of the stuff, you certainly will NOT be allowed in the door.

Thanks again to all of the positive supporters, for the rest, well.......I'll enjoy my membership for a little while longer and refrain from telling you how I really feel..............

Don't think it was necessary to remind us of the rules of TNet, we all know where to find them, thanks. I have NEVER seen a buckle come out of the ground looking like that, it is an amazing and fortunate find, congratulations to him again. I was simply asking for a larger photo so I could see the detail.

And just you know, I would protect my brother with my life, but please be careful how you address the members of this forum, I certainly don't appreciate it.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TC,
Fantastic hunt!!! That ring & buckle are awesome. :thumbsup: Great job, and congrats on all of your finds.
I'm embarrassed to post my measly finds now. :'( :wink:
Thanks for the post.
Looking forward to seeing more from that site!
-MM-

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions