Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe Buckle,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer has been a tough one so far with a ridiculous work load and zero time to do much hunting. This weekend I got a rare opportunity to get out for a couple days. My boss told me to take Friday off and relax for a weekend. I asked Brad (OutdoorAdv) if he wanted to come up. It's a 10 hour drive so I never expected he'd be able to. Amazingly he's working in Ct next week so he was able to come up on Friday and we hunted the hell out of a few of my spots. Let me start by saying that Brad is a GREAT GUY!!!! Genuine and respectful and has a level of respect for history that is rarely seen. I have to say that I was a bit nervous and really wanted him to have a great experience here in Maine. He showed up with an killer electrolysis setup that he built for me. He also brought some gear for pit digging which I've always wanted to try. Now for the hunt. Friday we went to an area that contains 4 colonial cabin sites that were settled for a short time. None of these have cellar holes and they are all virgin. If not for a small iron patch you would never know there was ever a home there. The first site was one that I have hammered to death. Brad found one keeper there and Abe found nothing if I remember correctly. The next site gave up a few random keepers. The third was one that I'd never found before. I walked directly into an iron patch and quickly dug a complete pewter rat tail spoon. I dug a set of links right next to the spoon. About 40' away I found a really nice complete shoe buckle. I also dug two fragments of a pewter shoe buckle. These babies don't show up too often. On the way back to the truck we stopped at a small cabin site that I'd briefly detected before. This is where my find of the weekend came. I got a great high tone right on the edge of the old road. Out came a copper coin that looked like it had lots of designs and detail. I didn't think much of it until I got it home.
Day two was a trip to my War of 1812 site. We dug a pit that I had found and also did a lot of detecting. The pit gave up a few cool pieces of ceramic and also a couple of buttons. The detecting was a whole different ballgame. Brad found a small 20'x20' patch and we collectively dug 9 marked pewters I believe. Brad dug a pile of em. It was awesome. I was and am still so happy that he got all of those awesome early military buttons. I was happier seeing his excitement then I was to dig one myself. It was an amazing day!!!!
Last night ended with about 8 lbs of sushi and pewter button cleaning. Today ended with massive lobster rolls. In between all of this Brad showed me how to do the electrolysis. We chose a couple ugly pieces of rusty iron to do. I am shocked at how great these ax heads came out. After the electrolysis he waxed them for me. They are incredible....and I have a pile of rusty iron ready for the tank.
I can't begin to express how much fun I had this weekend. A great person to hunt with, some amazing finds and some great food. Perfect I say.
Now for the finds. I really would like more info on this coin. From what I understand it's related to King Philip iv. It's Spanish and the is counter marked with the BX. I can't find much info at all but would love to know more. This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found. The detail is fantastic on it. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This shoe buckle has a great story. I found the big fragments a couple months ago. Friday Brad dug another piece and I dug another piece. Amazingly when we got home the pieces all fit together to form a complete frame.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
War of 1812 Finds. Brad crushed me at this site 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These 1600s items were found a few weeks ago.banither Latten spoon and a great marked pipe stem that's quite early. I was able to find the mark
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
The electrolysis/wax items
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pit ceramics
image.jpeg

Upvote 48

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer has been a tough one so far with a ridiculous work load and zero time to do much hunting. This weekend I got a rare opportunity to get out for a couple days. My boss told me to take Friday off and relax for a weekend. I asked Brad (OutdoorAdv) if he wanted to come up. It's a 10 hour drive so I never expected he'd be able to. Amazingly he's working in Ct next week so he was able to come up on Friday and we hunted the hell out of a few of my spots. Let me start by saying that Brad is a GREAT GUY!!!! Genuine and respectful and has a level of respect for history that is rarely seen. I have to say that I was a bit nervous and really wanted him to have a great experience here in Maine. He showed up with an killer electrolysis setup that he built for me. He also brought some gear for pit digging which I've always wanted to try. Now for the hunt. Friday we went to an area that contains 4 colonial cabin sites that were settled for a short time. None of these have cellar holes and they are all virgin. If not for a small iron patch you would never know there was ever a home there. The first site was one that I have hammered to death. Brad found one keeper there and Abe found nothing if I remember correctly. The next site gave up a few random keepers. The third was one that I'd never found before. I walked directly into an iron patch and quickly dug a complete pewter rat tail spoon. I dug a set of links right next to the spoon. About 40' away I found a really nice complete shoe buckle. I also dug two fragments of a pewter shoe buckle. These babies don't show up too often. On the way back to the truck we stopped at a small cabin site that I'd briefly detected before. This is where my find of the weekend came. I got a great high tone right on the edge of the old road. Out came a copper coin that looked like it had lots of designs and detail. I didn't think much of it until I got it home.
Day two was a trip to my War of 1812 site. We dug a pit that I had found and also did a lot of detecting. The pit gave up a few cool pieces of ceramic and also a couple of buttons. The detecting was a whole different ballgame. Brad found a small 20'x20' patch and we collectively dug 9 marked pewters I believe. Brad dug a pile of em. It was awesome. I was and am still so happy that he got all of those awesome early military buttons. I was happier seeing his excitement then I was to dig one myself. It was an amazing day!!!!
Last night ended with about 8 lbs of sushi and pewter button cleaning. Today ended with massive lobster rolls. In between all of this Brad showed me how to do the electrolysis. We chose a couple ugly pieces of rusty iron to do. I am shocked at how great these ax heads came out. After the electrolysis he waxed them for me. They are incredible....and I have a pile of rusty iron ready for the tank.
I can't begin to express how much fun I had this weekend. A great person to hunt with, some amazing finds and some great food. Perfect I say.
Now for the finds. I really would like more info on this coin. From what I understand it's related to King Philip iv. It's Spanish and the is counter marked with the BX. I can't find much info at all but would love to know more. This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found. The detail is fantastic on it. Thanks for looking guys
View attachment 1324407
View attachment 1324420
View attachment 1324423
View attachment 1324424
View attachment 1324425
View attachment 1324428
This shoe buckle has a great story. I found the big fragments a couple months ago. Friday Brad dug another piece and I dug another piece. Amazingly when we got home the pieces all fit together to form a complete frame.
View attachment 1324429
View attachment 1324430
View attachment 1324431
View attachment 1324433
View attachment 1324434
War of 1812 Finds. Brad crushed me at this site 8-)
View attachment 1324435
View attachment 1324436
View attachment 1324437
These 1600s items were found a few weeks ago.banither Latten spoon and a great marked pipe stem that's quite early. I was able to find the mark
View attachment 1324440
View attachment 1324441
View attachment 1324442
View attachment 1324443
The electrolysis/wax items
View attachment 1324444
View attachment 1324445
Pit ceramics
View attachment 1324446

Great write up Abe8.
Looks like you guys had a wonderful time Awesome relics ; Those Ax / Hatchet heads should display Nicely.

ODA , has his Electrolysis technique down to a science.

Davers

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You've had a VERY busy weekend! Great finds!! :thumbsup:

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great weekend. Congratulations on the Spanish and I love the shoe buckle.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great outing you fellas had. That was super nice of you to share your sites with B-Rad and that was cool he was able to make some great finds. As for you, you're the spoon King! Though not as old as that latten spoon, the rattail is one heck of a find and will look great with the thousand others in your collection. Good luck with the coin ID.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah you guys are back on your "A" game once again! Very nice well thought out and researched post. Research is everything and you guys prove it!
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a heck of a thread, you guys had a great weekend. Where do I start, the copper is a really good find, the buttons, the buckles...the spoons lol! I'm also really liking how the axe heads came out, they are beautiful. Nice job dude!

Thanks buddy. I love these weekends with a huge variety of finds. This one sure checked all the boxes and covered a huge dare range

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Spanish copper is a great one to add to your collection... very different! That may be the theme for you this year having got the French 15 Deniers recently. I only know of one early Spanish copper found around here.... early copper cob dug by a friend many years ago.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see that you both had a nice weekend.

The copper cob is really sweet... I like that they call it "pirate money"... just makes it seem all the cooler. The shoe buckle frame story is a good one too.

I hope that you are able to get out a bit more. I really like to see your older finds. GL Abe!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Spanish copper is a great one to add to your collection... very different! That may be the theme for you this year having got the French 15 Deniers recently. I only know of one early Spanish copper found around here.... early copper cob dug by a friend many years ago.

Glad to hear from you buddy. I was really curious how scarce that coin is around here. One of those things you would never expect to find. The detail is fantastic on the one side and a date is always awesome. Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear from you buddy. I was really curious how scarce that coin is around here. One of those things you would never expect to find. The detail is fantastic on the one side and a date is always awesome. Thanks

It's something where I think you need the real early sites first, and then just a matter of it being what turned up.

Seems you want that dollar back pretty bad.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what an amazing weekend for you and Brad! So many early finds in outstanding condition. The cob is a rare find, especially one that early in the US-my banner vote is in. Great job guys!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great copper, glad the date stayed on it for oh so long for you.
And yet another complete buckle.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found.
?????
Are you forgetting your 1652 ??

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found.
?????
Are you forgetting your 1652 ??

First 1600s "copper". And I could never forget about my 1652. I love her so very much lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredibly fun and productive weekend you guys had, and thanks for keeping me in the loop. I thought we had that coin ID'd as a copper cob, but after seeing the back I have no clue. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. And great job on all those other early relics, especially that crude pewter rat tail spoon which is my favorite. And I'll certainly second the motion about Brad being a great guy. They don't come any better than him, and his generosity and willingness to help are second to none. We're both very privileged to have him for a friend. Congrats again on all the outstanding assortment of early relics.

Yeah this coin is a bit of a mystery. From what I've read there's a million different counterstamps associated with this time period. It's hard to sift through them all and figure out exactly what's what. You know how hard these 1600s coins are to find. To get one in this condition that's so unique is a dream come true. One more for the 1600s collection. Awesome!!!!
As for Brad....that guy is a true gentleman and the nicest of the nice. We are very lucky to call him a friend. Generous, kind and passionate.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome weekend hunt you guys had!
Awesome finds too! Congrats!
The copper cob is awesome, i love the spoon!

Super electrolysis job! :thumbup:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an incredibly fun and productive weekend you guys had, and thanks for keeping me in the loop. I thought we had that coin ID'd as a copper cob, but after seeing the back I have no clue. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. And great job on all those other early relics, especially that crude pewter rat tail spoon which is my favorite. And I'll certainly second the motion about Brad being a great guy. They don't come any better than him, and his generosity and willingness to help are second to none. We're both very privileged to have him for a friend. Congrats again on all the outstanding assortment of early relics.

Yeah this coin is a bit of a mystery. From what I've read there's a million different counterstamps associated with this time period. It's hard to sift through them all and figure out exactly what's what. You know how hard these 1600s coins are to find. To get one in this condition that's so unique is a dream come true. One more for the 1600s collection. Awesome!!!!
As for Brad....that guy is a true gentleman and the nicest of the nice. We are very lucky to call him a friend. Generous, kind and passionate.

That means a lot guys and thanks a ton to the both of you. I say the exact same things about you guys.

Abe I wanted to add that I did cast my banner vote yesterday for this INCREDIBLE copper! That was the coolest thing I've ever seen unearthed and it probably wasnt funny when you handed it to me and I said "this looks like a chuck e cheese token" :laughing7: Its probably the oldest piece of history I will ever hold in my hand and certainly the coolest coin I've ever seen dug. Amazing job dude :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread