Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe Buckle,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer has been a tough one so far with a ridiculous work load and zero time to do much hunting. This weekend I got a rare opportunity to get out for a couple days. My boss told me to take Friday off and relax for a weekend. I asked Brad (OutdoorAdv) if he wanted to come up. It's a 10 hour drive so I never expected he'd be able to. Amazingly he's working in Ct next week so he was able to come up on Friday and we hunted the hell out of a few of my spots. Let me start by saying that Brad is a GREAT GUY!!!! Genuine and respectful and has a level of respect for history that is rarely seen. I have to say that I was a bit nervous and really wanted him to have a great experience here in Maine. He showed up with an killer electrolysis setup that he built for me. He also brought some gear for pit digging which I've always wanted to try. Now for the hunt. Friday we went to an area that contains 4 colonial cabin sites that were settled for a short time. None of these have cellar holes and they are all virgin. If not for a small iron patch you would never know there was ever a home there. The first site was one that I have hammered to death. Brad found one keeper there and Abe found nothing if I remember correctly. The next site gave up a few random keepers. The third was one that I'd never found before. I walked directly into an iron patch and quickly dug a complete pewter rat tail spoon. I dug a set of links right next to the spoon. About 40' away I found a really nice complete shoe buckle. I also dug two fragments of a pewter shoe buckle. These babies don't show up too often. On the way back to the truck we stopped at a small cabin site that I'd briefly detected before. This is where my find of the weekend came. I got a great high tone right on the edge of the old road. Out came a copper coin that looked like it had lots of designs and detail. I didn't think much of it until I got it home.
Day two was a trip to my War of 1812 site. We dug a pit that I had found and also did a lot of detecting. The pit gave up a few cool pieces of ceramic and also a couple of buttons. The detecting was a whole different ballgame. Brad found a small 20'x20' patch and we collectively dug 9 marked pewters I believe. Brad dug a pile of em. It was awesome. I was and am still so happy that he got all of those awesome early military buttons. I was happier seeing his excitement then I was to dig one myself. It was an amazing day!!!!
Last night ended with about 8 lbs of sushi and pewter button cleaning. Today ended with massive lobster rolls. In between all of this Brad showed me how to do the electrolysis. We chose a couple ugly pieces of rusty iron to do. I am shocked at how great these ax heads came out. After the electrolysis he waxed them for me. They are incredible....and I have a pile of rusty iron ready for the tank.
I can't begin to express how much fun I had this weekend. A great person to hunt with, some amazing finds and some great food. Perfect I say.
Now for the finds. I really would like more info on this coin. From what I understand it's related to King Philip iv. It's Spanish and the is counter marked with the BX. I can't find much info at all but would love to know more. This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found. The detail is fantastic on it. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This shoe buckle has a great story. I found the big fragments a couple months ago. Friday Brad dug another piece and I dug another piece. Amazingly when we got home the pieces all fit together to form a complete frame.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
War of 1812 Finds. Brad crushed me at this site 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These 1600s items were found a few weeks ago.banither Latten spoon and a great marked pipe stem that's quite early. I was able to find the mark
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
The electrolysis/wax items
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pit ceramics
image.jpeg

Upvote 48
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had a VERY busy weekend! Great finds!! :thumbsup:

I slept for 14 hours after this crazy adventure. Worth every second

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great weekend. Congratulations on the Spanish and I love the shoe buckle.

Thanks Tom. Always nice to add another shoe buckle to the growing collection.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great outing you fellas had. That was super nice of you to share your sites with B-Rad and that was cool he was able to make some great finds. As for you, you're the spoon King! Though not as old as that latten spoon, the rattail is one heck of a find and will look great with the thousand others in your collection. Good luck with the coin ID.

It was such a pleasure to share my sites with somebody who loves and respects the history like I do. There's not a whole lot of us out there who are completely obsessed with this stuff. Having him call me over to show me a pewter button in the plug over and over was awesome. The look on his face was priceless. Like he couldn't actually believe he was digging early marked military buttons. And for him to bring me an electrolysis machine and show me how the master does that and waxes was fantastic. Oh and he bought my sushi and beer as well lol. What could possibly top that????

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty wild to think of the journey this coin had before you swung your coil over it. It no doubt traveled across the Atlantic by ship at least once. The odds that it fell where it did, and you wandered over it are so small, its pretty incredible... it also makes me wonder if finds like this copper are made randomly, then there must be a ton out there just waiting for us. Once again... KILLER COIN. I wish I could vote twice for this thing.

Untitled.jpg

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty wild to think of the journey this coin had before you swung your coil over it. It no doubt traveled across the Atlantic by ship at least once. The odds that it fell where it did, and you wandered over it are so small, its pretty incredible... it also makes me wonder if finds like this copper are made randomly, then there must be a ton out there just waiting for us. Once again... KILLER COIN. I wish I could vote twice for this thing.

View attachment 1325633

Definitely worth a banner, but nothing surprises me anymore on what makes it and doesn't make it. But this is about Ahabs coin.

Most examples I've seen are the 8's denomination. Of those examples, most are worn and/or counterstamped until no date is visible. Yes, there are others found out there but the condition of Abe's belongs in a museum display or book. The date is clear as day...

Banner or not, Abe you win. Holding a coin like that is the real gift. That'll look real nice next to your Pine Tree shilling

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah you guys are back on your "A" game once again! Very nice well thought out and researched post. Research is everything and you guys prove it!
HH
TnMtns

You're spot on. Research is where it begins and ends. I happen to love the research which certainly gives a huge advantage

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see that you both had a nice weekend.

The copper cob is really sweet... I like that they call it "pirate money"... just makes it seem all the cooler. The shoe buckle frame story is a good one too.

I hope that you are able to get out a bit more. I really like to see your older finds. GL Abe!

Thanks CT. Hope all is well my friend

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what an amazing weekend for you and Brad! So many early finds in outstanding condition. The cob is a rare find, especially one that early in the US-my banner vote is in. Great job guys!

I appreciate the vote DND! Damn your avatar is a beauty. I would love to find one

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great copper, glad the date stayed on it for oh so long for you.
And yet another complete buckle.

Thanks Rick. Hard to imagine mid 1800s coppers are slick but 200 years older I get a great date

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a early one, IMG_7745.JPG IMG_7749.JPG i was just looking over the one i found last month and notice the numbers 38 on one side.is that the date? if it is its my 3rd 1600's coin found here in Salem Co. plenty of pirate action around here then and this coin was found in a field next to a river.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been out of town on business and haven't had a chance to keep up with things on the forum. Looks like you guys had a good time an covered a lot of ground. The early Spanish copper is a cool find that you don't see posted often if at all. Love the spoon and the electrolysis work turned out good. Nice saves on the War of 1812 pewters as well.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a early one, View attachment 1326116 View attachment 1326117 i was just looking over the one i found last month and notice the numbers 38 on one side.is that the date? if it is its my 3rd 1600's coin found here in Salem Co. plenty of pirate action around here then and this coin was found in a field next to a river.

pigeonman....they counterstamped the heck out of some of these coins. I will do some research and see if I can help to id your coin. Some interesting markings for sure

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome weekend hunt you guys had!
Awesome finds too! Congrats!
The copper cob is awesome, i love the spoon!

Super electrolysis job! :thumbup:

Thanks Ms Beep. Brads got the electrolysis thing down. One more addiction for me....just what I need lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really too bad these types of coins are so common, but it is great they can be appreciated as much as they are when dug.... and really that is the case for a lot of things we find.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really too bad these types of coins are so common, but it is great they can be appreciated as much as they are when dug.... and really that is the case for a lot of things we find.

pleased to add a 1600s copper to my collection with a nice readable date. getting back to those dates is tough. Would you do anything as far as preservation?
I'm going to check out a new spot soon. I'm really hoping it gives up some early military items. I'm guessing nobody has found it as it's just one sentence in some obscure article and I had never heard a thing about it. I can find nothing else about it. We shall see my friend. When is your season starting? I know I'm going to have to nail a few more good ones this season to keep my damn dollar

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Excellent hunt and good times with two well-respected hunters. Those axe heads are killer!
Congrats!
Thanks Palmetto. I'm so impressed with the iron

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a haul! The copper is really amazing! Sounds like you guys had a great hunt - way better than my last weekend! Well done!

Great hunt with a great buddy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pleased to add a 1600s copper to my collection with a nice readable date. getting back to those dates is tough. Would you do anything as far as preservation?
I'm going to check out a new spot soon. I'm really hoping it gives up some early military items. I'm guessing nobody has found it as it's just one sentence in some obscure article and I had never heard a thing about it. I can find nothing else about it. We shall see my friend. When is your season starting? I know I'm going to have to nail a few more good ones this season to keep my damn dollar

I'd just put it in a 2x2. I'm sure it will outlast both of us and not change a bit.

I like research like that... maybe a little less % it will work out and actually be there, but like you say very unlikely if it is there that it will have been hunted.

Still a long time before I will be digging any amount of serious holes. Have a friend planning to visit next weekend and may pack the detectors one of the two days, but if we swing it will be more of a demonstration and very short hunt, than an actual day out. Then in July my newfie buddy is back for his son's hockey school, and we'll get out a few times then I'm sure, but tough to find fields to swing, and a very productive one almost out of the question.... however last Summer we got very lucky so who knows. Other than that, it will be Oct. before Ironhorse and I hit the trail. I'd like to find a keeper of two before then, probably unlikely, but any day a person swings the coil, even if not very much, great things can happen. I'm looking forward to Fall, but am also very content to enjoy the Summer and get my fix by seeing what everyone else if finding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread