Incredible Weekend with OutdoorAdv....1653 Copper, War of 1812 Buttons, Shoe Buckle,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer has been a tough one so far with a ridiculous work load and zero time to do much hunting. This weekend I got a rare opportunity to get out for a couple days. My boss told me to take Friday off and relax for a weekend. I asked Brad (OutdoorAdv) if he wanted to come up. It's a 10 hour drive so I never expected he'd be able to. Amazingly he's working in Ct next week so he was able to come up on Friday and we hunted the hell out of a few of my spots. Let me start by saying that Brad is a GREAT GUY!!!! Genuine and respectful and has a level of respect for history that is rarely seen. I have to say that I was a bit nervous and really wanted him to have a great experience here in Maine. He showed up with an killer electrolysis setup that he built for me. He also brought some gear for pit digging which I've always wanted to try. Now for the hunt. Friday we went to an area that contains 4 colonial cabin sites that were settled for a short time. None of these have cellar holes and they are all virgin. If not for a small iron patch you would never know there was ever a home there. The first site was one that I have hammered to death. Brad found one keeper there and Abe found nothing if I remember correctly. The next site gave up a few random keepers. The third was one that I'd never found before. I walked directly into an iron patch and quickly dug a complete pewter rat tail spoon. I dug a set of links right next to the spoon. About 40' away I found a really nice complete shoe buckle. I also dug two fragments of a pewter shoe buckle. These babies don't show up too often. On the way back to the truck we stopped at a small cabin site that I'd briefly detected before. This is where my find of the weekend came. I got a great high tone right on the edge of the old road. Out came a copper coin that looked like it had lots of designs and detail. I didn't think much of it until I got it home.
Day two was a trip to my War of 1812 site. We dug a pit that I had found and also did a lot of detecting. The pit gave up a few cool pieces of ceramic and also a couple of buttons. The detecting was a whole different ballgame. Brad found a small 20'x20' patch and we collectively dug 9 marked pewters I believe. Brad dug a pile of em. It was awesome. I was and am still so happy that he got all of those awesome early military buttons. I was happier seeing his excitement then I was to dig one myself. It was an amazing day!!!!
Last night ended with about 8 lbs of sushi and pewter button cleaning. Today ended with massive lobster rolls. In between all of this Brad showed me how to do the electrolysis. We chose a couple ugly pieces of rusty iron to do. I am shocked at how great these ax heads came out. After the electrolysis he waxed them for me. They are incredible....and I have a pile of rusty iron ready for the tank.
I can't begin to express how much fun I had this weekend. A great person to hunt with, some amazing finds and some great food. Perfect I say.
Now for the finds. I really would like more info on this coin. From what I understand it's related to King Philip iv. It's Spanish and the is counter marked with the BX. I can't find much info at all but would love to know more. This is my first 1600s copper and one of the coolest coins I've found. The detail is fantastic on it. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This shoe buckle has a great story. I found the big fragments a couple months ago. Friday Brad dug another piece and I dug another piece. Amazingly when we got home the pieces all fit together to form a complete frame.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
War of 1812 Finds. Brad crushed me at this site 8-)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These 1600s items were found a few weeks ago.banither Latten spoon and a great marked pipe stem that's quite early. I was able to find the mark
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
The electrolysis/wax items
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pit ceramics
image.jpeg

Upvote 48

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's really too bad these types of coins are so common, but it is great they can be appreciated as much as they are when dug.... and really that is the case for a lot of things we find.

I agree they are common overall, but not commonly dug. I haven't seen many posted. And you're absolutely correct that dug coins are much more appreciated. Some of my finds that mean the world to me can be found for $50...

Good luck getting out this summer IP, I'm sure you'll kill it (and keep that $1) lol

Steve

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree they are common overall, but not commonly dug. I haven't seen many posted. And you're absolutely correct that dug coins are much more appreciated. Some of my finds that mean the world to me can be found for $50...

Good luck getting out this summer IP, I'm sure you'll kill it (and keep that $1) lol

Steve

When I look at all my favorite finds they range from being worth maybe $10 to in the thousands... and most much closer to $10 than $1,000. :) No question a 1600s copper cob is not an easy one to find, and I'd be surprised if i ever get one.

Abe is playing for keeps now, so it's hard for me the see a path to victory.... although all it would take would be one incredible find to sway things, so that might be my best chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I look at all my favorite finds they range from being worth maybe $10 to in the thousands... and most much closer to $10 than $1,000. :) No question a 1600s copper cob is not an easy on to find, and I'd be surprised if i ever get one.

Abe is playing for keeps now, so it's hard for me the see a path to victory.... although all it would take would be one incredible find to sway things, so that might be my best chance.

I'm still pretty grumpy about getting passed on the home stretch last year. I still feel like I better nail a few stunners before this season ends. I will be putting myself in the best locations possible. Some will suck but maybe one of two will pay off big time. I don't care about average finds anymore. I won't this show stoppers!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still pretty grumpy about getting passed on the home stretch last year. I still feel like I better nail a few stunners before this season ends. I will be putting myself in the best locations possible. Some will suck but maybe one of two will pay off big time. I don't care about average finds anymore. I won't this show stoppers!!!!

Yep.. now you're talkin! :headbang: The George coppers and shoe buckles will always be great, but I want some wow factor out of the dirt! Every day I go out I have two goals... to hit something incredible, and if that doesn't work out add something cool to my collection.. but make no mistake which is the main focus. I was very happy with last year and am pretty happy with the win, because it was my best year in quite some time so had I lost... well I'd likely never beat you. But as it stands I am the King and you are just a poor Colonist attempting to revolt. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.. now you're talkin! :headbang: The George coppers and shoe buckles will always be great, but I want some wow factor out of the dirt! Every day I go out I have two goals... to hit something incredible, and if that doesn't work out add something cool to my collection.. but make no mistake which is the main focus. I was very happy with last year and am pretty happy with the win, because it was my best year in quite some time so had I lost... well I'd likely never beat you. But as it stands I am the King and you are just a poor Colonist attempting to revolt. :happysmiley:

And you know how that played out lol

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coins, buttons, and other finds. Well done, all! I love the "puzzle piece shoe buckle." Great when that works, because it so often does--but it rewards those of us who keep good records and know which sites which finds came from.

Congrats, everybody!

-Buck

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coins, buttons, and other finds. Well done, all! I love the "puzzle piece shoe buckle." Great when that works, because it so often does--but it rewards those of us who keep good records and know which sites which finds came from.

Congrats, everybody!

-Buck

Thanks Buck. I'm an avid journalist when it comes to my hunts. I record every pertinent factor and log the finds. It normally pays off

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Buck. I'm an avid journalist when it comes to my hunts. I record every pertinent factor and log the finds. It normally pays off

Just remember to log another defeat Jan. 1st, unless you wave the white flag again. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly I am on the right and Abe is screaming like a little girl titan.

I don't see any spandex on that little sissy moth creature

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread