Indian artifact creek hunting tips and tricks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rake???

Look behind things that would hinder the current in a stream, that is where I use to find the most when I hunted in Missouri. After heavy rains the sides of creeks and streams would cave in and artifacts would fall in the water, I would look downstream behind rocks, logs anything that would hinder or block the current, points would fall there and not move..... At the bottom of small waterfalls were also good.....

I never took a rake to a stream...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back pack leaf blower does a really good job. I mean as long as you have permission ,blows water on everything that is dry and makes it pop. I am laughing :laughing7: cause I did this on a creek one fall on some land where I owned one side and the neighbor owned the other. If not a good flipping stick to move the things around once you hit flint concentrate from there on.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could take a small sifter with you to the higher probability areas and sift the material that has gathered in the gullies behind rocks that are deep enough to still hold water. Like TreasureHunter said that's where the more dense items like points wind up. You may have walked past alot if you never tried that. In places like creeks where artifacts tend to gather from the forces of nature there is usually alot more artifacts that are covered as compared to those that chance left visable on the surface. So I usually try to do one of two things 1) cover alot of ground or 2) uncover alot of material. Hope this helps....good luck and please let us know in the North American Artifacts forum how you do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cpc988

cpc988

Greenie
Dec 5, 2012
Thanks ,good tips ! I'm going to bring a sifter and see what turns up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread