Indian marker tree

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Found this marker in woods at my workplace. Question is would it be worth it to hunt the grounds. Our town had a trading path. I think is is one of the branching fork paths . Besides maybe some arrowheads would could I possibly find ? I guess it depends I. If they had traded with the white man at that point in history

Attachments

• AB405095-12C8-4B4F-9FFE-9E313BC95124.jpeg
    AB405095-12C8-4B4F-9FFE-9E313BC95124.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 82

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One never knows.

Others followed native trails as well.
Depending on trail length , it's users and the weather there can be sites along the trail more time was spent on.
Water. Shelter. Shelters not obvious anymore. Even some waters not seen any more or just seasonally.

Depending too on hostilities or by having a desire to note trail traffic , a site to stop along a trail can be off trail on a vantage point. Uphill at a distance for example. With or without a marker to indicate it's direction .

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want to find points in the woods, as opposed to a farm field... find a stream and look where the gravel accumulates. Or find a high spot with a good territorial view, a rock overhang, a meadow that would have attracted game, think like a hunter.

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Those trees are maybe 30-40-50 years old. The one in question suffered a near-fatal break, but managed to send up a leader, and survived. Unusual, and could be used as a land mark, but I think it's just a natural survivor.
Ok that makes sense. I wasn’t sure since it’s not a massive tree

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Those trees are maybe 30-40-50 years old. The one in question suffered a near-fatal break, but managed to send up a leader, and survived. Unusual, and could be used as a land mark, but I think it's just a natural survivor.
Three damaged spots on it.
The "nose" hints of more than natural damage.
Those damaged areas (well two of them) took a lot of potential growth out.
The third area of note (inside the elbow) it just right for cordage or a deliberate tree fork used to pin a sapling down to have made.

The pines in the background and most of the forest succession are post time frame of the oaks era.

Not saying I'm right.
Suspecting tree rings are dense (close together with seasonal/annual variances due to weather) and that the pictured tree is quite old compared to any other in the view..

A compatible sized trunk of a local tree felled could give a hint. A clean stump for example. Plus some delay of growth credited in the injured one.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three damaged spots on it.
The "nose" hints of more than natural damage.
Those damaged areas (well two of them) took a lot of potential growth out.
The third area of note (inside the elbow) it just right for cordage or a deliberate tree fork used to pin a sapling down to have made.

The pines in the background and most of the forest succession are post time frame of the oaks era.

Not saying I'm right.
Suspecting tree rings are dense (close together with seasonal/annual variances due to weather) and that the pictured tree is quite old compared to any other in the view..

A compatible sized trunk of a local tree felled could give a hint. A clean stump for example. Plus some delay of growth credited in the injured one.
All good points. I would have to say, regardless of the tree's estimated age, it is well beyond the days of stone blades. If someone was to want to hide a cache though, what better marker? At least run around it with your detector, for sure.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
like following a game trail.... not all that hard. Add to that the fact.... trail to just where? Tribes tend to stay where they belong, not to risk capture and punishment.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I have a similar example in one of my timbers. It is a sycamore. Kray Gelderland explained it perfectly.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I have a similar example in one of my timbers. It is a sycamore. Kray Gelderland explained it perfectly.
Gelder. I did not put the “land” on the name. It wasn’t there until AFTER I hit post. I read it twice before posting. Can’t figure out how to edit this one. Frustrating 😖

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought the whole "Indian Bent Tree" stuff was just wishfull thinking. I think the old boys knew their way around enough to not have to bend trees to find their way around.
In this area seasonal migration from the great lake to inland river valleys was quite a trek for some.
Similar worked lithics hint of quite a N-S range of others along the West side of my state. An area not known for as heavy a use as the East side. Considering those days ranges involved , a sign now and then wouldn't surprise me.

Accounts exist too of natives going from Green Bay Wisconsin to Detroit Mi.. And back again.
Trails existed. Some destination based , and others simply a passing through a region use.
The few trees saved South of me I have not checked out to see where they point. I'll have to ask about one in particular a nephew is pictured near.

In the dark or heavy snow or fog a sign would be useful at an intersection or fork.
Or just to know where to leave a "main" trail to a secondary sight.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought the whole "Indian Bent Tree" stuff was just wishfull thinking. I think the old boys knew their way around enough to not have to bend trees to find their way around.
I kinda agree with newnan man. However, there was a place in SWOK with some bent pecan trees pointing to an area. Some older Kiowas told me those Comanches used to camp over there, where the trees pointed. County came out and cut them down when working on the ROW. I know the country and can always remember where I camped and don't have to mark it to remember how to get there, and me and those old people ain't much different. I do have a theory that in the 4 Corners area when you see a Kokopelli pictograph or petroglyph, that means a trader passed through there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread