Indian nut grinder

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I had read a forum on Indian nut grinder rock but could not find the thread. I remembered I had one at my cabin that was found beside a small branch along Wilson Creek in NC. My Dad had a small campground back in the day, about ten sites. I was twelve then and an old man had a site near the branch. This rock was in the ground with only the bowel sticking out of the ground. He would wash it out and eat his pork & beans out of it which was cool. He would also give me a cigarette and part of a beer in a paper cup and tell stories about the area. He moved out and I dug the rock up and put it in Dad's store building. The Game Warden stopped by and said the rock was a nut grinder and the sides were used to sharpen stone tools. I kept ever since along with a few spear points found in the area.

Attachments

• i nut stone 4.jpg
    i nut stone 4.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 57
  • i nut stone 5.jpg
    i nut stone 5.jpg
    785 KB · Views: 57
  • i nut stone 3.jpg
    i nut stone 3.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 56
  • inside cabin phone wall .jpg
    inside cabin phone wall .jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 8

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Looks like one to me and a big one to. I’ve got a few small ones I’ve found. Good save

OP
OP
Batea

Batea

Greenie
Jan 31, 2023
Weaverville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Nice Metate!
I had not heard that word Metate used in years. The Game warden mentions that. The Indians would grind chestnuts, walnuts, chinquapins and pawpaw seeds into a mill for a patty. That is a good Scrabble game word. Thanks for your mention.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread