Indonesian Gold Mining and Mercury

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
its just one of those things we deal with in mining full time,
the gold she so fine the only way to get it is Hg.
you cant sluice this fine gold to get it, use a bowl or even a table is a pain. when running tons of material you end up with buckets n buckets of heavys unless you can afford to leach the only way to access the gold is Mercury.
Without mercury we dont mine.

I have tried many differant ways to recover fine hardrock gold its a beast in its self. best way i could find was Hg just cant beat it for grabin that fine gold.

GT.....................

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i know most don't like my post, but here goes anyway, have ya all seen the this, It a Fin joke
where the borax used in the process, it's not used until they go to the retort stage
i will stick to my method, mercury and retort

so point out please help me understand what i missed

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
its just one of those things we deal with in mining full time,
the gold she so fine the only way to get it is Hg.
you cant sluice this fine gold to get it, use a bowl or even a table is a pain. when running tons of material you end up with buckets n buckets of heavys unless you can afford to leach the only way to access the gold is Mercury.
Without mercury we dont mine.

I have tried many differant ways to recover fine hardrock gold its a beast in its self. best way i could find was Hg just cant beat it for grabin that fine gold.

GT.....................

What size do you consider too fine for any other method? Thanks

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know most don't like my post, but here goes anyway, have ya all seen the this, It a Fin joke
where the borax used in the process, it's not used until they go to the retort stage
i will stick to my method, mercury and retort

so point out please help me understand what i missed

It looks to me like they heat the borax, sand, and gold in to a molten sea till the sand floats on the borax flux. They get a glass bead with a gold bead in it.

I am not familiar with mercury, do you end up with a glob of gold of unknown purity? Cause that's what the borax guys get. It's gotta be hard to trade for a fair price.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
After watching the video that Dizzy posted the link to I was struck by how similar that palm matting is to Miners Moss. Looks like about the same structure only a lot finer on the weave. If someone was smart and took a sample of the palm matting and examined the structure I really think that a man made substitute could be made. Maybe a fine weave version of "Scotch-Brite" in large enough sizes to be used in a sluice? I'll have to give that a try one of these days I guess.

While I do use Mercury, I've always been very careful in handling it to make sure that none is released into the environment and that I' don't expose myself or others to it. Proper retort method etc. Even so, it's a time consuming process and not without its dangers. If I could get away from using it at all I'd be a lot happier.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a small leaching system setup a few months ago Herb. Guy had made it out of hydroponic stands and trays. I'll see if I can find the article again and send you the link. It's small enough where you could do it on the cheap.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a small leaching system setup a few months ago Herb. Guy had made it out of hydroponic stands and trays. I'll see if I can find the article again and send you the link. It's small enough where you could do it on the cheap.

I have a pachuka system already just have to assemble and get chemicals,
may attempt to do this next summer.

will have to go back to work for a spell to be able to afford to buy the needed supplies, i have the ore, thats the most important part of the opp.

Thanks GT..................

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
anything that stays above 45 we can get clean enough to smelt, the finer it is just to much trouble trying to get out of sulfide mix, very time consuming to table.

Wish i had some one wanted to play around do some leachings with me.

View attachment 1204394

Angus Mackirk sells a workshop scale leaching system...check it out on their website, it's on sale right now!

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
anything that stays above 45 we can get clean enough to smelt, the finer it is just to much trouble trying to get out of sulfide mix, very time consuming to table.

Wish i had some one wanted to play around do some leachings with me.

View attachment 1204394

Color me surprised at that large size. Many of the sluicers clean up way beyond that.

What do you do with the finer stuff, and can I have it?

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
45 mesh or microns? Both can be caught, concentrated, and cleaned up in a pan or sluice easily. Only below 37 microns would you want to start looking at chemical/mercury extraction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread