Infinium evaluation

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
I bought this machine 3 months ago for winter hunting. I wanted to go deeper to get my winter gold. It is very easy to get use to and pin pointing is pretty easy . The trick is make sure your first scoop gets as deep as possible. I am up to 18 rings since i bought it and i will not pull out my Excalibur until Memorial Day. The thing i like about it is if i want to hunt for gold only then i just dig the high tone folled by the low tone. if i want to hunt for old silver coins or silver rings then i just focus on the low tone followed by the high tone. I haven;t used the reverse discrimination much because i am water hunting and scooping is not that hard to do. The sound of the tones reminds me of a harmonica
Lowtones

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very happy with mine. I water hunt mainly with it. On land, I use a variety of detectors including the Infinium. Depends on my frame of mind on any given day. Like LowTones said, you can focus on the G.O.L.D. with the Infinium and it takes all of the guess work out of the task. A High/Low tone, sounds like a doorbell (ding dong) means that your target is possibly gold. The opposite Low/High tone or reverse doorbell (dong ding) means possible silver. If there is lots of metal in the water, I focus only on possible Gold signals. If it is a slow day with few targets in the water, I dig em all. You can adjust the depth by using smaller coils. I have all the coils available for the Infinium. I use the 8 inch mono coil the most. It is very easy to handle and requires you to go slower and be a little more deliberate which equals more finds for me. The stock 11x14 DD Coil is not hard to work with in the water but is noticeably heavier. It covers more ground and the DD Coil will limit your depth some. If you want depth, the 11x14 mono coil would be the deepest coil available. The 5x10 coil is also very good in the water while wading but it is hollow cored and will float on you.

Garrett customer service is great and the machines are American Made. The infinium is easy to belt mount leaving your arm free of the weight of the control box. Everything you need to hip mount is there but you may want to invest in a nice 2 inch velcro belt available at all police supply places or online.

The stock shaft is a little wobbly, my only gripe, but I fixed that by simply putting one wrap of scotch tape on the small ends of the shaft pieces before I inserted them into the larger ends. No more wobble! The cuff is comfortable and the weight of the just the shaft and coil when hip mounted is very light.

The Infinium is built like a tank! I just don't believe you can hurt it. It is easy to operate and it gets results.

If you have done your homework and you believe you like the features of the Infinium, it will be a good choice. It is very different than a VLF detector so it takes some getting use to but I love mine. I own 6 detectors and I like them all. There is nothing wrong with the Excalibur either. Just a matter of preference but when I looked at what I was looking for in a detector for the water, I made the Infinium my choice.

I stated in my reply to a recent post that you should make a list of what you believe is important in a detector and then read about them all in as many posts as you can from people that use the top brands. As you read, you will see a repeated pattern of the things that are important to you. It makes making your choice a whole lot easier to live with.

Good luck and good hunting.

DaChief

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the insight Da Chief, I've a question:
Can you swing fast with the 14" mono and still pick up good targets? I'm looking at getting an Infinium in the "slightly distant" ;D future and I don't want to put up with having to swing TOO slow.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DWars. I have no problem moving at a good pace with the Infinium but as with any detector, too fast will cost you many targets. I have always been most productive with any detector including Whites, Tesoro, Minelab and Garrett, by taking my time. If you read most posts by experienced hunters, they are going to repeat that theme. Slow down, overlap your swings, keept the coil parrallel and near to the ground and you will be successful if you have your machine set up properly. I go behind the speeders quite frequently and pick up many good targets. Recently, I went to an old park where I got permission from the County Recreation Manager to hunt. His parting words as I left his office was that three men had hunted the park the week before and cleaned it out. He said they were good and showed him their finds. I had been there about 5 minutes and hit an 1870's Seated Liberty Dime. I followed that with three more old silver before the end of the hunt. All of these were in the midst of where the previous guys had dug.

Speed will get you a few quick surface finds but you will even miss some of those if you go too fast. You can move fairly quick with the Infinium once you learn the machine. I see no difference in the speed with it and the other machines I use. Some of the older machines back years ago required you to whip them back and forth quickly for more depth. My first like that was an old Bounty Hunter Red Baron or RB-7. That was in the good higher quality days of Bounty Hunter. They still make a useable product though. Something in the electronics of those machines made them perform better at a higher swing rate. The message today is take your time and increase your loot. You won't find many who will argue with that. Good luck!!

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
DaChief said:
ahh the good old days! i had a BH 550 D and a red barron man i found a ton of silver back in those days it was easy.then i got the whites 49'r it was killer on coins and the Fisher 1220,1240,1235 then the whites 6000di....wow easy pickins back then around the late 60's.
Hey DWars. I have no problem moving at a good pace with the Infinium but as with any detector, too fast will cost you many targets. I have always been most productive with any detector including Whites, Tesoro, Minelab and Garrett, by taking my time. If you read most posts by experienced hunters, they are going to repeat that theme. Slow down, overlap your swings, keept the coil parrallel and near to the ground and you will be successful if you have your machine set up properly. I go behind the speeders quite frequently and pick up many good targets. Recently, I went to an old park where I got permission from the County Recreation Manager to hunt. His parting words as I left his office was that three men had hunted the park the week before and cleaned it out. He said they were good and showed him their finds. I had been there about 5 minutes and hit an 1870's Seated Liberty Dime. I followed that with three more old silver before the end of the hunt. All of these were in the midst of where the previous guys had dug.

Speed will get you a few quick surface finds but you will even miss some of those if you go too fast. You can move fairly quick with the Infinium once you learn the machine. I see no difference in the speed with it and the other machines I use. Some of the older machines back years ago required you to whip them back and forth quickly for more depth. My first like that was an old Bounty Hunter Red Baron or RB-7. That was in the good higher quality days of Bounty Hunter. They still make a useable product though. Something in the electronics of those machines made them perform better at a higher swing rate. The message today is take your time and increase your loot. You won't find many who will argue with that. Good luck!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaChief, your "Ding-Dong" way of describing the sounds for Gold and iron items is the best I've read. Very nice posts... :thumbsup:

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Dixie. "Back In The Day", you could hardly step out of your car with a detector and not find silver. I went through a similar succession of machines like you. I moved out of the BH and into the White's 6000 Di Pro SL, sweet machine and still is. Then I moved into the Eagle Series, Digital! I took a try at a new machine called the King Cobra, out of Texas. Not bad there either but they folded. They were out of Texas if I remember right. I stayed mainly with Whites. Layed out of the hobby for a couple of years and then bought a Tesoro Toltec 100. Still have it. Later got an Toltec 80 for a son of mine. Now I have the Sovereign and the Infinium as my main machines with the Bandido for my smaller kids but I use it too. Still love the hobby.

Thanks Sandman. The other description that I have of the Infinium and its noises is the slow melodic high then low. I get that at times when the waves are big. It sounds like it is breathing. Slow high breath in and then a slow low breath out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread