Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"
jb7487 said:
Jim, I totally agree with everything you just said. I was simply pointing out that I think hoarding nickels and pennies is probably not going to net you any really big money over the long term due to the costs of processing. Just the cost of trying to sell 200,000 nickels or 1M pennies is mind boggling. And I know that you didn't personally tell people to hoard nickels. That's what the original article was trying to do. So I apologize if it sounded like I was attributing that advice to you.
Take care.
Ok, so I'm sitting in my cubicle and I've got nothing better to do right now than analyze your scenerio of hoarding 200,000 nickels. I used coinflation.com for some of the data.
Basic Facts: 200,000 nickels = 100 boxes (2,000/box) = 1 or maybe 2 pallets
Or: 200,000 nickels = 2,220 lbs.
$0.0479755 is the melt value for the 1946-2009 nickel on August 12, 2009
Current Ni(25% Comp.) Price= $9/lb, Current Cu(75% Comp.) Price= $2.80/lb
So, if you compare todays non-ferrous metal prices to the recent 5 year highs, in which:
Nickel was $24/lb and Copper was $4/lb
Then, it's plausible that we could see a melt value value in the $.06 to $.075 range if demand picks back up.
So let's assume the prices go way up based on global demand (BRIC countries) and we see those recent highs again,
$.075 melt value/nickel x 200,000 nickels = $15,000 (or $5,000 profit) (before shipping)
SO, WOULD IT BE WORTH IT TO SHRINK WRAP A COUPLE OF PALLETS OF NICKELS OUT IN THE WORK SHOP FOR THE NEXT 5 TO 10 YEARS IN HOPES OF MAKING $5,000.00 PROFIT?
(I'm assuming min. shipping, delivering by my personal truck to one of the local scrap/salvage yards)
Although, I doubt I'd get full melt value, but I'll pretend that the buyer is feeling generous that day.
I'm thinking that after adjusting for inflation and other various expenses that it just doesn't make sense to do it right now.