What's new

Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

wharghoul

Full Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/rawles1.1.1.html

I don't agree with a lot of this article, but it's interesting all the same.

Especially like the parts where the author points out that it is useless to look for silver coinage in circulation because it has all long since been picked by collectors.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Why don't you just leave and go steal some little kids lunch money.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

wharghoul said:
Shake,

Well done, don't think there is anyone more qualified to address that....

However, don't throw you're back out b**** slapping this kid around, we missed you and we don't want you to disappear again.

Thank You,
I wont be going anywhere anytime soon!

I have wasted enough time with the guy, I am done! This site is full of great people trying to help others, obviously this person does not want to learn from experienced kind people.

I have given many people on here inside info and how to make money which people have and I would never give information to bocephus. Have fun learning this great hobby with-out the help of this great group of people...
Jason
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Shake-N-Bake said:
bocephus said:
John,
I would like to see you sell a $50.00 bag of pennies for $80.00. If you can tell me someone that has bought one then i belive you. But don't tell me that a year ago they sold for $80.00 because right now is not a year ago

I dont know why I am wasting my time with someone that obviously has no clue but i will try to shed some light.
Go to Ebay right now and do an advanved search under user name "DGCOINS" be sure to check the box completed auctions in the last 15 days... WOW bags of $50 copper pennies selling for WHAT ? ? ? OH!!! $90

Wow, next time learn the market before you try to argue with people that know a whole hell of a lot more about this than you!!!

OH bye the way I sell copper pennies everyday as in right now NOT LAST YEAR for 1.7 cents each which I will do the math for you is $85 per $50 bag...
Jason


It seems that there are great profits in copper pennies. But I personally stay away from culling pennies and nickels since it is not legal to melt them, or send them out of the country for such. I would suppose that if a person just "collected" them and saved them for the future, there is no risk in that.

However, if someone is buying them from you at such a price, I wonder what they are doing with them? If they are violating the law by melting them or sending them out of the country for melt, and they get busted and tell the gov where they were getting their "supply" from, it would worry me if I was such a "supplier".

The fed gov has very broad "conspiracy" and RICO type laws, and they could possibly say that you "knew or should have known" that the coins were being melted illegally, and that you helped further that end by selling them. I am not referring to wheats or other collectibles, but simply pre-1982/1983 pennies.

If somebody is paying you $90 for $50 worth of pennies on a consistent basis, I wonder what they do with them?

Jim
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

WOW!!! didnt think this was going to raise so many feathers! First of all people should google "penny forum". there is a forum just like this that is all about people that hoard copper pennies, by hoarding I means tons and tons of copper pennies. I have seen the 55 Gallon drums full of them. IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO BUY, SELL, OR HOARD COPPER PENNIES!!! Myself I think it is follish to hoard copper pennies, but I think it is very wise of me to kick on my Ryedale machine and sort thousands of pennies each day and sell them for a profit, which in return buy silver and gold... And by the way it is completely legal to do.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

I see absolutely no problem with offering "goods" and selling them for a profit. He does all the work by sorting the "goods" from the bads and if people want to pay for his work then let them (they could just as eaisly sort their own pennies but they choose to buy his and save the time). Who knows what happens to the pennies once they leave his hands, its not his business. He is just offering a product and nothing else, what others do with them is on them. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

TreasureFiend said:
I see absolutely no problem with offering "goods" and selling them for a profit. He does all the work by sorting the "goods" from the bads and if people want to pay for his work then let them (they could just as eaisly sort their own pennies but they choose to buy his and save the time). Who knows what happens to the pennies once they leave his hands, its not his business. He is just offering a product and nothing else, what others do with them is on them. :thumbsup:

Shake-N-Bake said:
WOW!!! didnt think this was going to raise so many feathers! First of all people should google "penny forum". there is a forum just like this that is all about people that hoard copper pennies, by hoarding I means tons and tons of copper pennies. I have seen the 55 Gallon drums full of them. IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO BUY, SELL, OR HOARD COPPER PENNIES!!! Myself I think it is follish to hoard copper pennies, but I think it is very wise of me to kick on my Ryedale machine and sort thousands of pennies each day and sell them for a profit, which in return buy silver and gold... And by the way it is completely legal to do.


Not in reference to selling coins, but I have seen people prosecuted for things that a "normal" person would not think was a crime.

I would not want to take the risk myself.

My 2 cents.

Jim
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

"At present, visually date sorting pennies simply isn't worth your time. Although I suppose that if someone were to invent an automated density-measuring penny sorting machine, he could make a fortune"


bwaaahhahahaha This guy must not have done ANY research. I can't believe none of you that own one of these "magic machines" didn't catch that.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Bo,

I honestly believe that there are people out there: Survivalists, Conspiracy Theorists, Opportunists, etc....that are willing to pay for pennies or nickels (see article) at a premium and hoard them because of something they believe in. Rest assured, as ridiculous as it sounds, there will be people that go out and pay $2.25/roll for nickels because this article says to do it.

These beliefs help create this market, whether we see the logic in it or not.

For me, I personally wish I had the $$ to hoard more copper pennies, but I throw everything I have at acquiring face value silver because I know that eventually the end will not justify the means and when that day comes then maybe putting away a box or two of pennies will be my next endeavor.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

I find it comical that he suggests people would buy rolls for $2.25 each, when anyone could waltz into a bank and buy a sh*tload of nickels for face value....but then again people are retarded.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Cherryman68 said:
"At present, visually date sorting pennies simply isn't worth your time. Although I suppose that if someone were to invent an automated density-measuring penny sorting machine, he could make a fortune"


bwaaahhahahaha This guy must not have done ANY research. I can't believe none of you that own one of these "magic machines" didn't catch that.

LOL! I didnt even see that part, I lost interest in the first sentence on the story...

Nice catch Mike
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

shake,
I am very sorry. I was simply trying to learn. I hope that we can all still be friends my man.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Jim, damn man you are paranoid lol. The copper penny market has cemented itself over the past year. Those who hoard know the time and cost factor of sorting and are happy to pay a premium to get cents already searched.

Cherry I saw that as well but figured I wouldn't touch the subject. If things keep going the way they have on this forum i may just quit sharing my knowledge all together.

One more thought though. Copper cents are considered bullion Cu. They are guaranteed 95% pure by the US mint. If you were around about 1970 don't you wish you had put back all the silver you found in circulation? Then cashed in in 1980? Its the same premise its speculation. But there are many more reasons to keep the Cu that I wont get into. Cu has worldwide uses. Everything from jewelry to cable is made out of it. Plus it is cheaper to recycle than to mine and refine. I plan to keep a few hundred dollars worth back a year until percentages drop or something changes drastically with the economy. I'm happy if others don't share my view and happy if they do. In the end it doesn't affect me either way.

a final thought....while most people on here are very easy to get along with and even if their view is different than yours they will in gage in a thoughtful debate. Not everyone is this way. To those handful that would rather call something dumb than to listen and maybe learn something. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had from our members. We are willing to share it. Some of us will have different views on different things but most will post a well informed reply to questions asked. For the new people and the ignorant please use the info here to enlighten yourself or just go to another board.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

bocephus said:
shake,
I am very sorry. I was simply trying to learn. I hope that we can all still be friends my man.

My Man!!!

Hmmm....
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Well said klava (above explaination)

klava said:
bocephus said:
shake,
I am very sorry. I was simply trying to learn. I hope that we can all still be friends my man.

My Man!!!

Hmmm....

I wasn't going to touch that one. LMAO!!!

Jason
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

bocephus said:
John,
I would like to see you sell a $50.00 bag of pennies for $80.00. If you can tell me someone that has bought one then i belive you. But don't tell me that a year ago they sold for $80.00 because right now is not a year ago

I didn't say they sold at $80 a year ago. I said they sold at $130 a year ago. And "I" sold them at that -- numerous times. Shall I give you the names of my buyers? Of course not. Silly thing to ask for. But they were selling for $130 a year ago, and they are selling for about $75 - $80 now.

Sorry you can't see it. I didn't come up with the figures. I only placed things on auction and let them go at what they went for. As for you then being able to "belive" (sic) me, that doesn't matter to me. I'm not selling to you. NOr are you going to affect anything I do. So it doesn't matter. And the fact that you said something that was wrong and refuse to own up to it? Oh well. That too doesn't matter to me. that's the good news. :-)

So happy hunting with what you are looking for, and the rest of us will hunt for what we are looking for. :-)
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Klava,

Don't let stupid people run you off. I like all imput and ideas. I have made somekind of profit off of every aspect of coin roll hunting that I nevere would have thought of with out people like you and the other posters on the board.


Also note to everyone. I don't believe bo is cc. his sentence structure and use of commas is too diffrent. Just my opinion
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Cherryman68 said:
Also note to everyone. I don't believe bo is cc. his sentence structure and use of commas is too diffrent. Just my opinion
Could be just a coincidence, but he just registered at about 11:30 last night.Sorry to get off subject.
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

who is cc my man
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

Shake-N-Bake said:
Well said klava (above explaination)

klava said:
bocephus said:
shake,
I am very sorry. I was simply trying to learn. I hope that we can all still be friends my man.

My Man!!!

Hmmm....

I wasn't going to touch that one. LMAO!!!

Jason

"My Man"......... Just as I suspected. CC lives Bowahhhahahahhaa......... Bo = CC


Mojo
 
Re: Interesting Article, "Save Your Nickels"

coinmojo said:
Shake-N-Bake said:
Well said klava (above explaination)

klava said:
bocephus said:
shake,
I am very sorry. I was simply trying to learn. I hope that we can all still be friends my man.

My Man!!!

Hmmm....

I wasn't going to touch that one. LMAO!!!

Jason

"My Man"......... Just as I suspected. CC lives Bowahhhahahahhaa......... Bo = CC


Mojo

Probably a bored CRHer imitating CC in my opinion. Who knows how many posters are on here with multiple identities? I bet a few at least.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom