interesting find at a coinstar last night

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went out to the local store on an errand last night and found this in the coinstar on the way out mixed in with a couple of foreign coins, IMG_1009 (1).jpg couldn't believe my eyes thought it was another foreign coin but saw the eagle and wow! some people have no clue or respect for history, pre civil war coin.???

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 111

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome find, normally I just find sticky coins from the drink holders.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find of the Flying Eagle Cent! That is in great shape! Thanks for sharing with us.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOOM!!! What a great save:occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the rare occasion I only find clad

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do realize the value of the coin you found I hope ... dont clean it other than a rinse and pat dry... it is a STELLAR coin. $$$

Well done.
What IS the value? A (very) brief search showed prices anywhere from $45.00 to a few thousand but I didn't dig into the differences/attributes that created such a huge disparity in pricing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What IS the value? A (very) brief search showed prices anywhere from $45.00 to a few thousand but I didn't dig into the differences/attributes that created such a huge disparity in pricing.
I don't know what constitutes $$$ to you but to me EVEN at 45$ to find for free in a coin return constitutes $$$... heh

This aside.... This coin has great detail.... and IMO would grade in at 50+... which would put it in the 200$ range.

Better photos would help my final opinion of course... cannot see details to a "T".

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To some degree's.... obviously...... an 1857 in circulated condition is worth between $25 and $525.

From pictures its riding 50-ISH from here... and 50= wear of 50% ... Full details... softness on high points.

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To some degree's.... obviously...... an 1857 in circulated condition is worth between $25 and $525.

From pictures its riding 50-ISH from here... and 50= wear of 50% ... Full details... softness on high points.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree that it is a great Coinstar recovery. I just wondered if you noticed something that made it unique. Like maybe a double strike, something along those lines. Thanks!

Now where did I put that rum?

Reactions: ARC

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ive had a few coinstar finds but the self check machines have been more lucrative for me.
People always forgetting to get their change and ive probably raked in $100 this year.
Another 2 bucks today! Woop woop!
I walk around and check them all now and coins are very common to get pretty regularly.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive had a few coinstar finds but the self check machines have been more lucrative for me.
What are self check machines?

Edit: You mean the self-serve checkouts? If there's money left in them I always give it to the store employee who's minding them. Used to work at a grocery store that had them and most of the time people come back for it and hope a good Samaritan has returned it. It's like leaving your wallet or purse behind. Those areas get hectic and between the people impatiently waiting for your machine, grabbing your receipt and groceries, making sure your debit card it safely tucked away, all while the machine is telling you to hurry up, it's easy to forget stuff there. I'd never consider that an opportunity to profit.

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People always forgetting to get their change and ive probably raked in $100 this year.
Another 2 bucks today! Woop woop!
I walk around and check them all now and coins are very common to get pretty regularly.
I found 2 $20 bills in a self check once…

Ed T

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread