Interesting story

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my local dump bank returning my already searched through dimes nickels and pennies when all of a sudden the coin bag fills up. (Penny bag)... The teller comes over to switch out the coin bag and the wheel is still spinning a bit and there is a clanking noise. The teller reaches in to the rotating wheel that spins out and sorts the coins(after it stops) and hands me a 1972 Ike dollar which I hadn't put in there. Since the coin wasn't counted in the machine, the teller gives it to me.

^The machine does not accept Ike dollars(large sized dollar coins) and they go through the reject slot by the bottom^

The funny thing is, this is the second time this happened to me!!!
Guess I am lucky, I even told the teller that I did not put the coin in, but she gave it to me anyway since it wasn't counted and it was "mixed" with my batch of coins.

Just a little story for you all... Anyone who has similar stories, or interesting coin machine finds, feel free to post under this post!!!

-BuffaloBoy
:fish:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just for the thought, next time don't dump ikes, just hand them to the tellers individually after the coin machine. maybe those 2 ikes were yours :laughing9:

no... they were found 4 months apart, forgot to mention that.

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
My best coin counter score EVER occurred exactly one year ago when I first started CRH. One day I went to dump some dimes and saw a large coin laying in the bottom of the trash.

It was a 1921-P Morgan in a small ziploc bag!

The only explanation I have was that someone tried to put it in the coin counter and it was rejected, so they tossed it.

HH,
cuttybce

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last time I hit the CoinStar I was dumping about $60 in pennies from some penny hunting. As I watched the pennies click off I saw that I got credit for 3 quarters which I did not put into the machine.

My only other CoinStar find was a 1940 Wheat penny in the reject tray. There is a woman that works at the grocery store that checks the CoinStar after everyone dumps. I was thinking I should dump at night to increase the odds of me finding something there.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have 2 good stories from last year. Went to a grocery store with a coin star late one night when the wife needed a chocolate fix so swung by the machine. Nothing in the tray as usual, nothing on the top as usual then i looked at the floor. Cool quarter just laying there, picked it up and bingo 1952. So being the totally unstealth like person I am i jumped right down on my knees, slid my fingers under the machine as far as they would go and slid out 2 silver dimes. Now knowing what was under there it was time to go into action. I went and got a ruler out of the school supply isle and using it i got another silver quarter and 2 more silver dimes and that was all I could reach or see. I should have been happy there but how could I leave knowing there was silver in that machine. Ive already tried to buy bags off those machines from coinstar and have failed miserably. Its just not gonna happen. But i did ask a worker to open her up and check the dirt tray for me. 1 more quarter, 2 more dimes. So 3 silver quarters and 6 silver dimes after checking that dang machine every time I went in for 2 years finding nothing.

Other story was a young lady teller in a small town I was doing a road trip in was emptying a bag from the machine as I walked in. I headed over to check out the bag and saw nothing interesting but I asked if they let folks buy the half bags and she said no since the branch manager checks them for silver. I smiled and said thanks kindly and she said "but we can check the dirt cup if you want to". So she opened the machine and except a few clad bent coins there was nothing special....except about a 1.25 carat round cut diamond loose in the tray. She kept her calm but one could tell she was excited so I picked it up and handed it to her and said "i thought id never hand another one of these to another lady again." She blushed a little and with immense southern bell like charm said " the sob dont have an excuse no more does he?" We both laughed and i went on my way.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same happen once with halves. Jam in machine, teller opens it up and pulls out three ikes and says the machine won't take these as she hands them to me, i just accept them and say oh, ok:) Makes up for all the machines that banks swear on the Holy Bible that are absolutely accurate.....ya right. Any body the dumps knows. I have dumped all dimes and machine says I had 34 pennies.

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
I always reach my hand in the coin hopper to feel around for any junk that will jam the machine. I find trash like paper clips and random pieces of metal as well as foreign coins all the time. One time I even found a tooth...

About a month ago I reached my hand in and felt not one, but two large dollar coins. I got excited at first, but they turned out to just be clad Ikes. The very next week I went back and there were another 2 clad Ikes in the machine. I also found my first ever steel penny stuck to the magnet :thumbsup:

Another time when I went to dump, once the machine started counting the coins there was a loud grinding sound. When I checked my receipt, I noticed that it had counted over $20 in quarters and nickels in addition to my halves ;D I guess they were jammed in the machine and my halves knocked them loose.

Good times :D

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
I have to unjam and clean the machine at my work, three days ago a younger kid was having troubles with it spitting all the coins out and only counting a few so he kept shoveling them from the reject tray to the counter...this normally means it needs to be cleaned. After he left I popped it open and found someone had dumped coins covered in pet hair which caked the machine....I cleaned the hopper and wheel and emptied the trash tray. Grabbed the coins out of the dirt cup (this is suppose to catch everything that it doesnt think is a coin...found a spark plug, an elongated cent, a few pennies stuck together and a 1896 MORGAN SILVER dollar!!!! Hell of a find for having to clean up after people

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread