What's new

Iron caged bottle & glasses

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron caged bottle & glasses

Greetings, although not dug, I am posting photos of this set found in the attic of an
1850s cigar rollers shack in Key West,
If anyone has seen any similar items, I would love to get a approximate date of its
manufacture, or place of origin.
Hope you find these as interesting as I do.
Yo Ho Ho, Herbie.
 

Attachments

  • BOTTLE IRONCLAD 001.webp
    BOTTLE IRONCLAD 001.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 376
  • BOTTLE IRONCLAD 002.webp
    BOTTLE IRONCLAD 002.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 327
  • BOTTLE IRONCLAD 003.webp
    BOTTLE IRONCLAD 003.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 327
  • BOTTLE IRONCLAD 004.webp
    BOTTLE IRONCLAD 004.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 333
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

Great find!!!! Im sure you wiil get the info on it, My Guess is that Breezie will know about this one!!!! Chug
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

Awesome find! Gorgeous bottle and glasses! I'm going to keep an eye on this one...looks like they were free blown into the iron sleeves and from the the look of the base I would guess prior to 1860...but I'm definitely no expert!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

first photo --- bottle almost looks like a bong type device .
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

Chug and Red said:
Great find!!!! Im sure you wiil get the info on it, My Guess is that Breezie will know about this one!!!! Chug

Chug, thank you for your vote of confidence. :icon_sunny: I have a few questions: Is it metal on the outside; if so, what kind, iron? What is the size of the glasses; are they shot glasses or regular 6/8oz. ones? What do the bottom of the glasses look like? They have a foreign look to me; maybe Spanish, Greek, or Czech . Culver made glasses with metal on the outside, but I think your set is much older than that. Fantastic find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

steelheadwill said:
Greetings, although not dug, I am posting photos of this set found in the attic of an
1850s cigar rollers shack in Key West,
If anyone has seen any similar items, I would love to get a approximate date of its
manufacture, or place of origin.
Hope you find these as interesting as I do.
Yo Ho Ho, Herbie.

Nice set! Is that a pontil scar or a mark?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

Thanks to all for your replies!
The glass was blown inside the metal (I believe it's iron),
The bottle is approximately 'Fifth' size , the glasses about 2-1/2 oz,
Unfortunately, no markings, just pontil scars.
photos posted are: #1 Bottle & Stopper, #2 bottom of bottle, #3 shot glasses, #4 bottom of shotglass.
The set was rescued from a building on Nassau Lane in old town KW during a renovation I did in 2006.
The house had been uninhabited for many years, (except for rodents).
No info was available from owner about the items, or previous occupants.
I was told that in the era it was built, most of the housebuilders were also shipwrights
and used the same construction methods, amazing that with the storms & insects, that this building has survived, it is built with 'Dade County Pine', and in a rather low area,
set on limestone or coral pilings. originally there were several almost identical houses constructed to house cigar rollers, the leaves were cured & stored in the attic.
She had purchased the building in the '70s, and it had remained derelict & literally full to the ceilings with boxes & mounds of debris, just a pathway between the front and only door, to the kitchen area. A hinged bookcase concealed the entry to the attic, stairs rotted, first explored by ladder.
I sifted a few items from the rubble, below are photos of what I believe is brass & iron cabin hardware from a ship, (the old KW residents were notorious 'Wreckers'). possibly the same era as bottle?, a brassbound mother of pearl inlaid cross, in box penciled 'Italy 1949, over 200 years old',
and 2 matchbox size 'Bible boxes' (no idea what they were for), & a limestone gargoyle.
Again, thanks To Breezie for the European tip, & all who read & replied.
Good Day, & Great Digs, Herbie.
 

Attachments

  • hardwar (1) copy.webp
    hardwar (1) copy.webp
    68.6 KB · Views: 239
  • hardware (7) copy.webp
    hardware (7) copy.webp
    71.2 KB · Views: 206
  • hardware (9) copy.webp
    hardware (9) copy.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 245
  • hardware copy.webp
    hardware copy.webp
    61 KB · Views: 222
  • 18thcenturycross 002 copy.webp
    18thcenturycross 002 copy.webp
    37 KB · Views: 219
  • BOOKS 002 copy.webp
    BOOKS 002 copy.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 237
  • KWGARG.webp
    KWGARG.webp
    51.7 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

ivan salis said:
first photo --- bottle almost looks like a bong type device .
Not a bong, Just the stopper lying next to bottle....
But I do have an interesting old waterpipe I may post on later..
 
Upvote 0
Re: Iron caged bottle & glasses

steelheadwill said:
Thanks to all for your replies!
The glass was blown inside the metal (I believe it's iron),
The bottle is approximately 'Fifth' size , the glasses about 2-1/2 oz,
Unfortunately, no markings, just pontil scars.
photos posted are: #1 Bottle & Stopper, #2 bottom of bottle, #3 shot glasses, #4 bottom of shotglass.
The set was rescued from a building on Nassau Lane in old town KW during a renovation I did in 2006.
The house had been uninhabited for many years, (except for rodents).
No info was available from owner about the items, or previous occupants.
I was told that in the era it was built, most of the housebuilders were also shipwrights
and used the same construction methods, amazing that with the storms & insects, that this building has survived, it is built with 'Dade County Pine', and in a rather low area,
set on limestone or coral pilings. originally there were several almost identical houses constructed to house cigar rollers, the leaves were cured & stored in the attic.
She had purchased the building in the '70s, and it had remained derelict & literally full to the ceilings with boxes & mounds of debris, just a pathway between the front and only door, to the kitchen area. A hinged bookcase concealed the entry to the attic, stairs rotted, first explored by ladder.
I sifted a few items from the rubble, below are photos of what I believe is brass & iron cabin hardware from a ship, (the old KW residents were notorious 'Wreckers'). possibly the same era as bottle?, a brassbound mother of pearl inlaid cross, in box penciled 'Italy 1949, over 200 years old',
and 2 matchbox size 'Bible boxes' (no idea what they were for), & a limestone gargoyle.
Again, thanks To Breezie for the European tip, & all who read & replied.
Good Day, & Great Digs, Herbie.

Dude you raided Edward Treach's personal stash! j/k excellent finds
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom