Iron Spoon - Age?

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having quite a time digging in the backyard of my colonial era house. Not much colonial, but so far 3 pounds of nails, and 8 pounds of relics (farm implements) out of a 10' x 10' area. In any case, today I uncovered an iron spoon. The "style" would be called "colonial" today, but I doubt that age. It is about 8.5 inches long and does not show any sign of having ever been plated. I bead blasted it, hoping to find a maker's mark. There might appear to be a mark, on close inspection that is just fortuitous rust pits. With the exception of a spark plug, everything found around it appears to to be mid, to late, 19th century. I would not say there are any signs of forging.
Spoon Rear.JPG Spoon Front.JPG

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is what is called a "fiddle spoon" . I can't remember the date but it is older. I shouldn't be on this at work or I would try to narrow a date for you. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it’s “fiddleback” pattern, which originated in France and, around 1800, English makers added the design to Old English Patterns (OEP) which had ‘fins’ on the shoulders of the bowl like yours. American makers began adopting that design during the 1820s-1830s and it was in use for quite some time, but fell out of favour during the Civil War due to metal shortages and the need to conserve materials for the war effort.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking under a strong light, I suspect I can make out the letter "W" on the rear. Adding a little bit of "by guess and by golly" I suspect I can make out "W"ashington. This is almost entirely speculation. It could all be convenient rust pits. It may just be wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here you go - fiddleback is second from the right.

Attachments

• Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    Dating_spoons_chart.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the in-put Red Coat...found a bunch of them myself...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions