What's new

Iron Tool or Foundry Mold?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Y'all, I'm not sure, but I think this is some type of mold for casting, although there is no hole at the bottom end for release. In the last pic, I drew in what the shape would be, which looks like some type of wrench or pick, but the bottom part being roundish and flat doesn't look like any kind of tool. Any ideas would be appreciated, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Mold1.webp
    Mold1.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Mold2.webp
    Mold2.webp
    35 KB · Views: 385
  • Mold3.webp
    Mold3.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Mold4.webp
    Mold4.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 390
  • Mold5.webp
    Mold5.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 381
Re: Foundry Mold?

Neat find! I worked in a foundry for a long time. Most molds are made of sand, and then when the iron is cooled; the sand is beaten off of the cast. I hope you get an ID for this. It is very odd. It almost looks like an old small drain pipe in a way. I have dug larger ones that had split in half. This is a lot smaller though. Good luck! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Foundry Mold?

fishbone3d said:
Neat find! I worked in a foundry for a long time. Most molds are made of sand, and then when the iron is cooled; the sand is beaten off of the cast. I hope you get an ID for this. It is very odd. It almost looks like an old small drain pipe in a way. I have dug larger ones that had split in half. This is a lot smaller though. Good luck! ;D
Hey Fish, thanks for the reply. Yes, I thought most molds were made of sand or wood, and the only iron molds familiar to me are corn muffin molds! (Paula Dean would be proud) ;D I don't think it's a drain pipe because the top edges look finished, and if it 'split,' it couldn't have done so that uniformity. . . .well, unless drain pipes were made in halves and were less than 6 inches long. :icon_scratch: Griswold made oodles of cast iron molds, but most of theirs were figural and/or animals and pans. I have faith in the TNet crew, so hopefully someone will come through with the answer. :icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I thought I would 'bump' this post up so 'new eyes' could see it, plus add a little more information. After researching Cast Iron Moulds/Molds, I confirmed what items were cast or cooked in iron. They are food products like chocolate, cheese, souse, cornbread etc., silver flatware spoons, forks, other silver pieces etc., and glass products like vases, lamp shades, etc.

After going through that list, there was nothing listed above that was shaped like this mold, so my next thought: it's probably not a mold. Fish thinks it could be some type of drain pipe, but the channel is very tiny, plus being in a 'half' doesn't look accidental.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or WAGs. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
looks more like a cast iron leg to some thing, wood stove etc...

Hey LostC, thanks for your post. I agree in that it looks like a leg to a cast iron stove. Were these legs in 2 pieces or do you think this one was broken that way or were the legs hollow backed?

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I still like the mold idea
Both ends look like the have pour spouts for the run off of the poured casting material
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Cast iron stove legs are generally hollow-backed. The front is usually decorated with some kind of scroll or floral motif.
 
Upvote 0
DirtDigler said:
Cast iron stove legs are generally hollow-backed. The front is usually decorated with some kind of scroll or floral motif.

I'm sitting on the 50 yard line. One way I look at it, and it's a mold of some type, then I'm thinking DD is right, it's a leg to a cast iron something. It just doesn't look like a leg since it is missing the ornate scroll on the front, and then Brady is right as far as having the characteristics of a mold, but none of the 'mold materials' are appropriate.

I knew I should have left it by the oak tree instead of bringing it home to be like the "Michigan Frog." Thanks for your post. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom