What's new

IRON *** When do you dig it on purpose?????????

pjroo33

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2007
Messages
631
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering what everyone else thinks about digging iron. Is there ever a point in time when you dig it on purpose? If so, when??? I have been hunting some 18th century properties with possible Rev War activity (according to the land owner) and I'm wondering if it would be worth my while to dig some iron.
 
Yes, it would be worth your time. Especially if it is a camp site or something simliar. A home site may have too many iron bits and pieces. But, if it's a camp or field site then dig it all. If you decide not to dig iron then at least dig everything above it.

-Swartzie
 
If the location has history earlier than 1900 dig all iron. After I wouldn't bother.
 
IMHO some iron relics can be interesting or rare. Granted, not like $20 gold pieces or other older coins, but more fun than pull tabs and bottle caps.
luvsdux
 
I dug a 1910 property and dug every signal i could! Ended up with this sweet iron dog! I would say if you know there is no modern trash, DIG AWAY!
82456589.jpg
 
From what I have gleaned from this site, if you disc out iron, you run the risk of disc'ing out larger non-iron targets and cache containers as well...........

My handle says it all

Diggem'
 
I'd dig it all. take the time and take advantage of the opportunity to dig it. sounds like a great place too.
 
Dig it, dig it, dig it!!!! :laughing7:

Where ya been? We need to get out to check some places out this fall!
 
I search old lots. the best are over 200 years old. Here;s what you mightfind on one . It's also what I actually found. The lot has a 200 year old house on it, still in use. I spent a bit over 4 hours searching this lot. these are the best finds. A 200 year old blacksmith made ax, 13" down, that probably was used to clear this lot. Conserved and mounted, I would price it at over $500. The other item was a gold ring with a 3 ct blood red ruby. It has a value of $3000+. Frank
 

Attachments

  • ax300.webp
    ax300.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 463
  • ruby gold ring 700.webp
    ruby gold ring 700.webp
    32 KB · Views: 640
  • ax300.webp
    ax300.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 464
  • ruby gold ring 700.webp
    ruby gold ring 700.webp
    32 KB · Views: 622
I've had parts of weapons of all periods, a near six foot cannon, cannonballs of all sizes, handmade tools, keys (which can make great displays) and the big plus....you will increase your chance of gold.
 

Attachments

  • Wallkeys.webp
    Wallkeys.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Wallkeys.webp
    Wallkeys.webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,000
get the "iron" out of the way.
 
a site is not "hunted",until the iron is removed....I like hunters that dont dig iron in my area!!!
 
I can cherry pick just the larger pieces and that's exactly what I do at my older sites. It has worked out very well as far as time goes, and not missing things like cannon balls or trade axes.
 
Dig the iron! You likely will benefit from the information you get from it.
Aquanut
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom