dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In other posts on T-Net I've read over and over again that the show American Diggers (Not BOOM BABY) is ruining our sport...but where's the evidence of that?

So here's the challenge:

Show this thread actual evidence that the show is trashing the sport.....I'm talking actual links from the web, news articles, magazine articles, etc, etc,.....

This thread is NOT ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS OF THE SHOW.

It is about HARD evidence that the show is directly related to ruining our sport of Metal Detecting. Stories of how you got kicked off a property don't count....I can make one of those up too.

Upvote 0

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to challenge people you should at least put the correct show title. American Diggers aka Savage Family Diggers is BOOM Baby. The Natgeo one is Diggers.

Personally I don't think either show is ruining the hobby. In my opinion both shows are pretty horrible with BOOM baby being significantily worse. I doubt either one leads to many couch potatoes getting up and actually trying a hobby that requires some effort.

Anyways BOOM Baby and much Nectar/Roundness/Juice/Civ/Tok/Rev in your next hunt.

Pete

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think Diggers is all that bad. I just wish they would explain that they don't get to dig those historic sites to keep the loot. That gives an impression that could get some in trouble.

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Yes this is my opinion but I don't think American diggers is real, I'm pretty sure it's staged.

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the nat geo diggers is pretty good, i don't really care for all the slang

the boom baby one has to be staged there's no way you can just go out dig a hole and find what they finnd and sell for thousands

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
true, think of the time it takes his wife to get makeup on!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no evidence to prove that either one of these programs in ruining this hobby. I'm not sure that evidence even exist. If you think about it wouldn't it require there be some documented historical facts of how many of us were or have been involved in the hobby/sport for X amount of years. Then now compare current results or facts about whatever is relevant to MDing such as not able to get access permission now because of the shows. I don't think you will ever be able to find fact to prove anything stated here. My opinion Boom Baby needs to be buried in one of those big holes he digs anlong with his wife. Diggers is OK but need to tell us how they get permission to dig where they do and who gets to keep the finds.

tomted62

Oct 30, 2008
Tiro, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see either one of these programs "ruining" the hobby. Savage Family Diggers does seem staged to some point and the prices they receive for their artifacts seem highly inflated. Rusty Kentucky Long Rifle barrels do not sell anywhere for $650.00. I did enjoy the Chicago episode when the police came and almost arrested the whole bunch. I do enjoy Diggers on Nat Geo. The slang is a bit much but it's TV. I was able to hunt a site once that was being surveyed by the archaeology dept at our local university. They kept all of the finds. Being backed by Nat Geo probably helps to open a lot of doors for those guys.

Tony in Virginia

Dec 14, 2012
King and Queen County Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC / FISHER GOLDBUG
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the Diggers guys are maybe doing pre-survey work for the Archies. A friend of mine has a daughter who is an archaeologist and they use local relic hunters sometimes. The places the Diggers go to are usually places that charge admission and being on the show is good advertising for them. Also , there are usaully Archies involved. That is my theory anyway.

diggin for history

Jan 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in total aggreance with you there that new swamp hunters show just pisses me off but I'm drawn like a moth to a flame on their stupidity lol as for the savage family diggers I just want to know how to get my machines to find arrow heads and dinosaur teeth and bones, the episode about the brothels they show a spot they dug with green grass all around but the target spot was brown lol hmm lil planting Goin on ya think?

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think those who watch these shows are 99% interested in the hobby already and just either, like the shows or not. (I for one tried to watch but, in the catagory of those who don't).
I really don't think folks not into our hobby, (John T Landowner) really pay it much attention.. EX (" gee, I should watch this diggers show just incase a MD'er comes to my door to ask me permission to hunt").
So even though I don't care for the silly shows, I don't think they hurt our hobby either..

PS, I do like some shows folks call silly, I am in to "Gold Rush" My wife knows the TV is mine Fri from 8-10. LOL

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In other posts on T-Net I've read over and over again that the show American Diggers (Not BOOM BABY) is ruining our sport...but where's the evidence of that?

So here's the challenge:

Show this thread actual evidence that the show is trashing the sport.....I'm talking actual links from the web, news articles, magazine articles, etc, etc,.....

This thread is NOT ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS OF THE SHOW.

It is about HARD evidence that the show is directly related to ruining our sport of Metal Detecting. Stories of how you got kicked off a property don't count....I can make one of those up too.
Rick savage and Spike TV are being sued for using the name American diggers, by the magazine American digger. The Suit state they want the show to cease and to destroy all video and anything pertains to that show. So yes it is by the Magazine damaging the image we have.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well Doug, are you on what you call the HATE side of this one? 111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick savage and Spike TV are being sued for using the name American diggers, by the magazine American digger. The Suit state they want the show to cease and to destroy all video and anything pertains to that show. So yes it is by the Magazine damaging the image we have.
... Like i said before the law suit the mag. has is to only to try to save face.with there readers................. It is not going any were...And will not go any where......It is just smoke & mirrors .. to keep a big % of there...... readers happy..... The law suite is as phony as the detector shows.... But some will fall for it....

Last edited:

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These shows might influence some people to go buy detectors because they see the inflated prices they are supposed to be getting for their finds. The price of gold is probably a factor as well. "Most" of the people these factors bring into the "hobby" are for the get-rich-quick scheme and won't last long when they find out the true work of finding good targets compared to trash. Unfortunately, these are the ones without respect for property and leave a mess and the garbage behind and are the ones that get it banned. JMHO.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Dougofpa,

I'm not a fan of Mr. Savage nor his lovely bride. I found a few links that are pretty questionable as to Mr. Savage's alleged past practices: Looting Americas Past- Collectors Hate Ric Savage as Much as Archaeologists « Doug's Archaeology

I cannot speak to the character of the person posting the above links, nor the viability of the "charges."

Everyone seems to have opinions on the "digger shows: Detecting Saxapahaw: Detecting "Reality" Shows and the Amateur/Professional Debate

The Archeological community does not seem to be particular fans either: Brainstorming Session: Responses to Digging in America - Archaeological Institute of America ~~~ Easy Money ? World Archaeology

In this age of shrinking rights, and more and more sites becoming off limits, I'm not sure that Mr. Savage makes a good poster child for the digging community.

220px-Ric_Savage.jpg

OP
OP
dougofpa

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Doug, are you on what you call the HATE side of this one? View attachment 742159

No sir....just looking for actual proof that the guys from the show "Diggers" are ruining our sport.

I see nobody has found any facts yet

OP
OP
dougofpa

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to challenge people you should at least put the correct show title. American Diggers aka Savage Family Diggers is BOOM Baby. The Natgeo one is Diggers.

Personally I don't think either show is ruining the hobby. In my opinion both shows are pretty horrible with BOOM baby being significantily worse. I doubt either one leads to many couch potatoes getting up and actually trying a hobby that requires some effort.

Anyways BOOM Baby and much Nectar/Roundness/Juice/Civ/Tok/Rev in your next hunt

Pete

Yeah...I noticed that after I posted and forgot to hit the edit button...I meant "Diggers"

Anyways...looks like no one found any proof....and that goes for both shows.....no proof for either.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The proof is in the pudding, but some people have a lousy sense of taste! Frank 111-1 profileRED.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread