Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experience I'd say 15 to 20 feet. At least with the E-Trex.
Think about it- your using some 27 satellites, not always the same ones. To come that close is still pretty amazing. We had on once on a fish finder that had a built in 12' error that was very repeatable so it all depends on the unit.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
FWIW - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a lot of threads - here are a few...

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks all!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the GPS, but most of the handheld models will get you within about 3 feet on a good day and about 10 feet on an off day. Lots things can skew the numbers slightly, so that's why it varies. If you are planning to use one to plot artifact finds on a beach, it will probably get you close enough for what you want.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!

Im trying to map a "debris field" of finds that I believe will lead back to the source??

if I can plot to within a few feet that should work

thanks!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I can mark a point in my E-Trex walk a mile away and come back watching the screen and it will show that spot in the last step, app. 3'. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the more satellites a GPS can track the more accurate I have a garmin that is suppose to be accurate to within 10 feet. Although I think because of military concerns that is about as good as you will find commercially.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most civilian models will get you to 10 meteres, by design. A little better using WAAS. Military and most professional construction models can wipe the bugger off your nose without drawing blood! TTC

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In doing boundary surveys, and laying out logging roads, I've found it accurate to within 1-2 meters. The only function that gives poor results is when you try to use it to find elevations, It says it will, but I have had poor results there. But that;s not really it's purpose.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all!

will get shopping now!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can mark a point in my E-Trex walk a mile away and come back watching the screen and it will show that spot in the last step, app. 3'. Frank...

Yes, but thats on the same day with the same conditions. follow the coords back to that spot every week and see what kind of deviation spread you get.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Most civilian models will get you to 10 meteres, by design. A little better using WAAS. Military and most professional construction models can wipe the bugger off your nose without drawing blood! TTC
Terry now most of us do not know what 10 meters is...1 ft...2 ft..3ft..or more or less.. ???... You have to know that most of us went to school in the USA.. Is not 10 meters like 34 feet ??

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 ft to a meter...!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yes, but thats on the same day with the same conditions. follow the coords back to that spot every week and see what kind of deviation spread you get.

I put the survey metal stakes into my GPS a couple of years ago and I have no trouble just walking up to them and getting the
screen indication within the last step. I can set it to run on line and track my boundries from marker to marker with no problem. It has the WASS enhancements. The only place it went wacky was around an air force base near Tampa. It reversed 180 degees. I found out later that the base can electronically deflect the reading. A kind of missile defense. The height reading is accurate with a min. of 4 sats. I am at 330' elevation according to my topo map, and that is what I get with the GPS give or take 10'. Maybe I just got a good one. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old E-Trex was better at altitude measuring than my newer GPS60CSX. The E-Trex only uses the sat info for measurements and the GPS60 uses only atmospheric pressure measurements. In theory the GPS60 should be more reliable and accurate, but that's only if you can calibrate it shortly before hand. If you don't know your exact baro pressure for your location or the exact height to calibrate, it can be off by quite a lot. I wish they made it with the option to use either or both.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at this?

Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld Navigator

in case anyone has used one?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry's right.

The satellites are 11,000 miles up.

If you want better, you have to measure the phase shift of the radio signals of each satellite like the survey grade units. That was discovered by the Jet Propulsion Lab in the 1980's. I've been using them since 1995 with accuracy and precision.

If you think you're getting better, it's probably an accident of standard deviation.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry's right.

If you want better, you have to measure the phase shift of the radio signals of each satellite like the survey grade units. That was discovered by the Jet Propulsion Lab in the 1980's. I've been using them since 1995 with accuracy and precision.

If you think you're getting better, it's probably an accident of standard deviation.

You lost me after "11,000 miles....." !!!!! ??? :laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Terry's right.

Hay, My Direct TV sat is 22,500 miles up and it sits over Equidor in the Clark belt with about the same signal output and I get a good signal. Now granted it is geostationary. With the speed of radio waves, I don't think distance is a problem, however trees, buildings and canyon walls can kill it. Frank...

Sphere-blk copy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread