What's new

Is it possible to find?

mrfrank

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 20, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Too long of a story of how it got there, can a silver dollar in a vinyl book be found in the attic with blow in insulation on top of it? (The book is setting somewhere directly on the ceiling of 5/8 inch drywall above the living area , 2000 sq ft).
With copper wires, aluminum fasteners, dry wall screws and nails, can a metal detector scan the ceilings to find?
Just asking for some advice before I try and pull the insulation out.
thanking all in advance for any advice,
 
Too long of a story of how it got there, can a silver dollar in a vinyl book be found in the attic with blow in insulation on top of it? (The book is setting somewhere directly on the ceiling of 5/8 inch drywall above the living area , 2000 sq ft).
With copper wires, aluminum fasteners, dry wall screws and nails, can a metal detector scan the ceilings to find?
Just asking for some advice before I try and pull the insulation out.
thanking all in advance for any advice,
I would say yes it could, simply due to mass and composition. No doubt, lots of falsing but the only way it would be incredibly hard, is if it were on top or underneath a large piece of flashing or metallic tape.
 
OK, I got one vote yes! Thank you!!! No flashing or metal tape, I do know that.
fyi, the insulation is about 18 inches deep if I try detecting from above, in the attic.
I mentioned the living area because it is safer detecting for the book from the ceiling (drywall side).
Any recommendations for a detector to use? Coil to use? settings?
 
OK, I got one vote yes! Thank you!!! No flashing or metal tape, I do know that.
fyi, the insulation is about 18 inches deep if I try detecting from above, in the attic.
I mentioned the living area because it is safer detecting for the book from the ceiling (drywall side).
Any recommendations for a detector to use? Coil to use? settings?
18 inches would be a push for any detector. I'd get a cheapo from harbor freight if that is all you are going to look for, or even a pinpointer and do it from the interior ceiling. Probably won't be as easy as it sounds, but if you put in the time, and it is there, you will locate it. Best of luck to you.
 
MrFrank welcome to treasurenet :) What detector do you have ?
 
If you have any silver dollars of about that year wave one over the coil and check the id numbers . It should be a very easy task to locate
 
Something else I might add. I would start searching the easiest accessible areas of the attic first
 
Good morning,
Thank you for your reply!! First, I bought a Harbor Freight Gordan detector (the upgraded one). It works ok, i have made a book similar to the one i am looking for and it will detect it in tests i do. The problem is the signals are not reliably consistent. The book is sitting on 5/8" drywall with 18" of cellulose above. I am searching from the living area scanning the ceiling. I consistently get the aluminum and copper readings from wire and lighting hardware. It is the silver reading which is not specific enough times. Any recommendations on a better detector or coil to use?
thank you,
 
Good luck with your search. Welcome to the forum from Oregon!
 
I think Gare has a good idea about checking that signal. After you find it, go ahead and tell us how it got there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom