Is the Beach hunter 300 the only metal detector I will need?

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Again,

You all have helped tremendously giving this Newbie advice on my first detector purchase.

I am brand new at this and have spent the past week researching everything about what kind of metal detector to buy. I have seen countless reviews, videos, manuals and etc. I have just purchased a condo right on the St. Pete Beach in Florida. I am basically retired at 48 and will be there mostly as a snow bird. I plan on metal detecting instead of golfing everyday. My wife and I will be doing this together. I plan on going no deeper than waist deep in the ocean. All I know is I want a waterproof metal detector with a warranty. Also I will be doing wet sand and dry white sand from Key West Atlantic Ocean and Miami to St. Pete Beach and Clearwater Gulf Beaches. I have heard that the Excalibur is the best, but I am afraid of getting one of their lemons, which they say can happen 2 out of 10. I also am not into modifying or changing things like shafts and etc. I have crossed out the AT Pro now because it seems no good in saltwater. I originally thought buy 2 machines the Garrett Sea Hunter for waist deep saltwater hunting and the AT Pro for the beach, because it has a display unit. Someone said bad idea.
I don't want the Excalibur or the CZ21. I would really like ONE overall saltwater submersion to saltwater wet and dry white sand detector. These are the one's I am considering now: Garrett Sea Hunter with 2 coils $729 (know I will be doing alot of digging, but I still go to the gym and bench over 300 pounds, so I may get a better workout digging deep holes.) Tesoro Sand Shark $577 with a lifetime warranty. White's Beach Hunter 300 for $1000 (I really like the 3 LED lights for Iron, Gold, Silver). My question is honestly what would you all recommend as the best machine for me? If I want to spend $1000 I can get either one White's Beach Hunter 300. Or I can get the Sea Hunter or Sand Shark and get an additional wet salt sand and dry sand detector with a control panel and have more features?
I appreciate any input. I know I am driving my wife crazy about all my research, but I don't want buyer remorse. Is White's Beach Hunter 300 all they say it is? Is the Whites Surf PI Dual field a good machine also, it is $900.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
southfloridabeachhunter said:
White's Beach Hunter 300 all they say it is? Is the Whites Surf PI Dual field a good machine also, it is $900.
Do you believe everything you read? Both these detectors work well as far as electronics go, but the coils floating will give you fits in the surf.

Read all your other copy and paste post answers. :laughing7:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
the floating coil issue is why I did not go with that machine and bought an excal instead. never was sorry. But....in answer to your question...no, there will always be another detector that you will NEED! lol

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
First of all i am jealous. Retired to the beach at 48 , sweet.
You might need to do some more research. You listed some PIs as well as VLFs
Pis have little or no discrimination .
Hunting in the surf is not easy so be ready for that.
I would go for 2 machines , since your right on the beach .
Most underwater machines are heavy so a bit of a drag . Some can hip/chest mount.
The ATP will work to a point in the wet sand but wont go as deep as the Multi Freq machines.
You might look for a clean CZ wet sand / dry sand hunting or M/L GT not rainproof but can hip mount.
Some of the CZs were rainproof and that's nice in the salt air, and most can hip mount to lighten the load.

Also make sure you don't hunt were treasure claims are in place. Thy will come down hard and you might lose your equipment.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Beach Hunter ID with 950 coil mostly because I live inland and hunt lakes and rivers. Salt water beaches are more casual for me, with only 15 days a year available if I am lucky.
If I was going to spend more time at the beach, I'd invest in the White's Surf PI since discriminating iron is not such an issue in the salt environment.
It's easy to zip tie a rubber chew toy on the coil if it floats too much for your comfort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread