Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the purpose of the offset handle in so many of the knife blade style diggers?

To keep your hands, fingers and knuckles from being scraped in the dirt. Like most shovels, they are usually offset to allow better angles that are more comfortable to use.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
My actual IRL job is to break EVERYTHING, so for those that claim "I've never broken anything" let me tell you, man can make it, man can break it, there is zero exception.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the purpose of the offset handle in so many of the knife blade style diggers?

I like it as you can dig at different angle in the hole. Especially the sidewalls.....just turn over the digger and you can go almost perpendicular into the sidewall.......avoids hitting your target.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The $60+ spade that most detector outfitters sell and the $16 garden spade from Lowes?

Doing my best here to ignore the condescending attitude from some people's responses... :censored:

The short answer, is yes. The long answer is that you don't have to spend the high dollars to get a high quality digger. I have broken plenty of garbage diggers that Lowes sells. The most telling aspect of if a tool will last is the tang inside the handle. Cheap diggers has a cheap metal rod welded to the digging blade. Long-lasting quality ones have a full size, or nearly full sized tang and it's from a single piece of metal, not a separate rod stuck on. I prefer not to have to carry multiple diggers just in case today is the day it may break. I also don't like losing a day's hunt because my tool broke and I have to go buy another.

My personal preference for small diggers are the Treasure-wise brand, specifically the ones with the blade bend round into the handle. They are very cheap and I have never broken one. I did finally bend one after 10 years of use and abuse. For long diggers, I absolutely LOVE the Lesche ones. They are worth every penny and more.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My actual IRL job is to break EVERYTHING, so for those that claim "I've never broken anything" let me tell you, man can make it, man can break it, there is zero exception.
How right you are. I once had an Employee that, IMO, could destroy a railroad track with a Pepsi-Cola bottle if given the chance.:BangHead:
Marvin

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've broke every digger I've used except a lesche. 3 Fiskars in one day. My lesche came in a package deal with a new detector purchase. Knowing how tough they are I would gladly pay for another if I lost it. $60 is a small price for peice of mind and avoiding the frustration of one breaking while hunting and having to go and search for a store to buy a replacement.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you broke 3 Fiskars in one day, return them for a full refund. Fiskars diggers have a lifetime warranty. Hard to imagine breaking 3 diggers in one day or even having 3 diggers on you to break in the first place.

I'm sure the Lesche is a tough digger, but no one has addressed my other point. If you set your Lesche down and forget it, you're out $60. If I lose my Fiskars, it's only eight bucks down the drain.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the Lesche is a tough digger, but no one has addressed my other point. If you set your Lesche down and forget it, you're out $60. If I lose my Fiskars, it's only eight bucks down the drain.

Thats a ridiculous arguement. If someone runs into my $40,000 truck, it's more of a hit than if someone ran into a $3000 beater. That doesn't mean the beater can do what the truck does or last as long.

People don't make purchase decisions based on "what if they lost it". :dontknow:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you set your Lesche down and forget it, you're out $60. If I lose my Fiskars, it's only eight bucks down the drain.

Hummm..... after giving this a lot of thought I can only conclude that I'm not dumb enough to walk away from my digger. When I'm done digging, it goes into the sheath, which is on my belt, which is on my pants, which is attached to my legs... so on and so forth.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you broke 3 Fiskars in one day, return them for a full refund. Fiskars diggers have a lifetime warranty. Hard to imagine breaking 3 diggers in one day or even having 3 diggers on you to break in the first place.

Hi Tim. Let's back up and answer your first premise. If you are out in the woods, or down at the park, and you digging tool breaks - you're dead in the water. You are DONE until you replace it. You hike back out to your vehicle, or go back to your car in the parking lot, and hope you have another tool in it you can use. If not, you're done.

Now, your question about losing a Lesche is moot as far as I'm concerned. Any also ran that loses his/her digger or pinpointer deserves to be a matchbook collector. :occasion14:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used several cheap diggers, then a mid priced long handle garden spade, and finally a Lesche. The Lesche was the best of the bunch, easily digs a neat plug, very good at scooping dirt out of the hole, and just plain feels better in my hand.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I didn't have 3 diggers on me. I went to a town 50 miles from williston to find I left my digger at home. Bought one at hardware store and broke it. Took it back and they gave me another and while I was there I bought the last one they had. Simple realy. I glad you haven't had a problem . 60 dollars for a tool that won't break and cancel a hunt is not unreasonable to me. When I work on williston I get one a day a week off not being able to detect because I was trying to be cheap on a tool is not aceptable.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this the one you are using? This is the kind I broke 3 of. They are welded where the handle meets the blade. Only takes slight prying to break.

Attachments

• 1451781917381.jpg
    1451781917381.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 66

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have hit a nerve, because now I'm getting harassing emails about the Lesche. Sorry, Lesche dealers here (and their buddies), it's a great digger but not worth $60, period.

I'm 6'3" 200 pounds and a pretty strong guy. I abuse the heck out of my digger. I dig in frozen ground all the time and my Fiskars kicks butt. Why would I want to spend $60 on a digger when my $8 one works fine? No way I would ever flush $60 on ANY digger, no matter how many testimonials the Lesche dealers ( and their buddies) post here.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, your question about losing a Lesche is moot as far as I'm concerned. Any also ran that loses his/her digger or pinpointer deserves to be a matchbook collector.

This "also ran" has found coins and relics you can only dream of finding. Check out some of my finds before you make a personal attack against me.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bought my lesche off amazon for $37 and it's been great. Glad your $8 fiskar is working for you but that doesn't mean those of us that like the lesche "flushed" our money away.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "also ran" has found coins and relics you can only dream of finding. Check out some of my finds before you make a personal attack against me.

There is no personal attack....

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have hit a nerve, because now I'm getting harassing emails about the Lesche. Sorry, Lesche dealers here (and their buddies), it's a great digger but not worth $60, period.

I'm 6'3" 200 pounds and a pretty strong guy. I abuse the heck out of my digger. I dig in frozen ground all the time and my Fiskars kicks butt. Why would I want to spend $60 on a digger when my $8 one works fine? No way I would ever flush $60 on ANY digger, no matter how many testimonials the Lesche dealers ( and their buddies) post here.

Is the one I pictured the one you are using?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have hit a nerve, because now I'm getting harassing emails about the Lesche.

How is that even possible? You don't have a public viewable email, so how are these unidentified persons emailing you these harassing things?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread