Hendo

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce
Hi

I am still new to the "sport".

I have a EuroAce, and I like it...but I want a better machine. The Ace works great..but there is too much trash where I hunt.

Is there a machine that can help me discriminate the trash better?

Ok...

Looking at the E-Trac, it has 1750 "Number of Target ID Segments". Wouldn't this help discriminate the trash?

So if I scanned an area with a pull tab...the targeting ID would show a number (let's say 176). This number would mean a particular type of pull tab (let's say tin tab).

The next time I scan an area, and ID number 176 comes up, I know it's a pull tab.

If this is possible...what machine does this?

Thanks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
1750 id numbers --wow thats a lot of numbers to remember whats what

there is a ($279) machine the delta 4000 * made by teknetics (see kellyco ad on main page) -- it has a 0 to 99 numbers type display (100 slots)--a ace 250 ($212) has a mere 12 "blocks" (slots)--- for $67 bucks more you get 8 times the sorting ability - 100 numbers vs 12 slots wize *

with only 12 blocks the ace 250 is forced to co mingle good items and trash items in the same block * which means to get the gold you gotta dig all the pulltabs (no fun there folks-- with the delta 4000 MOST of the pulltabs (not all but many of them) are 2 digits off from most 10 K items *-- a great help when looking for 10 k rings amoung butt loads of pull tabs

is the delta 4000 a E trac? no == its not , don't be foolish theres a massive cost differance ---however it is a vast improvement over a ace 250 in my veiw ( having owed and used both I think I am a "fair" judge) and at a modest $67 bucks more than the ace 250, I feel its well worth the few extra bucks. bang for bucks wize.

with only 100 numbers to deal with you --can rapidly get the hanf of the good numbers * --MOST NOT ALL BUT MOST * pull tabs are 2 digits off from 10 K gold items which is a great help when sorting thru trashy spots looking for gold rings ---it also has "notching" to cut out "commonly found
unwanted trash signals" by blocking them from being detected at all as well

OP
OP
Hendo

Hendo

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett EuroAce
ivan salis said:
1750 id numbers --wow thats a lot of numbers to remember whats what

Thanks

It is a lot...but if you can save them in a "profile" and discriminate those numbers only, you would not have to remember. I think.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take your time and get to know your machine Hendo. :thumbsup: I found that I needed to dig everything with my EuroAce to learn what's in the ground and if it's worth the effort to dig or not. I never want to pass up a good strong signal, especially if it's in the low Ferrous range and I'm on an old site. As these finds are a good indication of the age of the site that you're hunting.

A strong low ferrous can mean a pre-1996 Loonie, a horseshoe, a railroad spike, a square nail or even a modern steel quarter. I usually hunt in the "coins" mode and discriminate at a 3 or a 4 depending on the amount of trash on the site.

I too though after using my EuroAce for six months that I was ready to upgrade to a "Garrett AT Pro". But I've decided to wait until at least next year to make that decision. Right now I find it nice to know my detector and what it's telling me! :icon_thumright:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hendo, It's all in the SOUND! Think of the ID display as simply a percentage. That is to say if your display is only 10 segments, a target that is half-way up the scale is "50 percent". To put it further, iron will always be at the lower end and silver at the upper end. Again.... work on the SOUND of the target.... not the display. TTC

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Terry C has it right Hendo. Anyone who digs purely on what a screen and VDI numbers GUESS at..will be VERY disappointed! I (and most UK users) rarely even look at the screens on our Etrac's.
Etracs have more than enough things about them to learn without complicating things for yourself trying to memorize or compartmentalize 1750 different ID numbers. Going from a Euroace to a Etrac is like going from your sisters pedal bike to a Duccatti 1300 "learning curve" wise. Don't over complicate things mate. We all spend our time digging pull tabs and cursing, no matter how good our machines! :wink:

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
Some good advice has already been given.Iv,e always been curious abt how notch detectors would work on foreign coins.
I,m guessing that since most companys are american(Minelab excuded)
the notch is designed for american coinage.
but even in the USA the zinc notch would often disc out Indian head pennies.
Iv,e used Whites spectrum often in past,and with 192 segment notch, a 20 point spread in VDI
is not uncommon.
So Iv,e gotten away from target ID and hoping My odds will Improve.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Iron Patch said:
1% detectorist. As long as you can walk, swing, and hear, you're good to go.

I'd put it more like 50% operator. Like Karl von Mueller used to say, a cheap detector in the hands of a master will outhunt an expensive detector in the hands of a novice.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan Hughes said:
Iron Patch said:
1% detectorist. As long as you can walk, swing, and hear, you're good to go.

I'd put it more like 50% operator. Like Karl von Mueller used to say, a cheap detector in the hands of a master will outhunt an expensive detector in the hands of a novice.

At a great site all you have to do is wait for it to beep, and dig the hole. I would rather have a team of professional researchers and a newbie digger, than a 25 professional detector guys who don't know where to go.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Iron Patch said:
At a great site all you have to do is wait for it to beep, and dig the hole. I would rather have a team of professional researchers and a newbie digger, than a 25 professional detector guys who don't know where to go.

But why would you have to choose between the two? If you can afford 25 professional researchers, surely you can afford a few professional diggers too.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan Hughes said:
Iron Patch said:

But why would you have to choose between the two? If you can afford 25 professional researchers, surely you can afford a few professional diggers too.

Because the diggers and researchers don't get along.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Patch, You're as silly as that suit! (tisk tisk) Funny... just pulling your chain. The operator is EVERYTHING! The detector is like a computer.... it has no brain; just sits there until you show it (program it) what to do. Put the detector on the ground and LOOK at it. It does nothing on its own. One of the above posts got it right. Put a 100 dollar detector in the hands of someone that knows what he is doing and he'll out-perform any 1000 dollar detector in the hands of someone not so versed. Great thread! Stay thirsty, my friend. TTC

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
get a sniper coil it separates trash well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread