🥇 BANNER Is this 17g gold ring Freemasons or something else?

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
Mason Ring 05.jpg Mason Ring 03.jpg Mason Ring 04.jpg
Mason Ring 01.jpg
Mason Ring 02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 92

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I haven't posted in a while, but this one rang up on my Equinox 600, and I was pretty stoked. 18k gold ring, 17g.

I need some info on this, because I'm getting mixed reviews. Some say the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" makes it definitely Templar Masons, others say the scimitar makes it Shriners, still others look at the Maltese cross and say fireman! I'm sticking with Masons till I hear otherwise (there's a carving of a trowel on one side), but I need the thoughts of experts. If you need more pics, I'm sure I can do that.

I was hesitant to post this, because there is a name and location carved inside, and I'd like to help the homeowner get it back to its rightful place. This location in Minnesota goes back to the late 1800s.
View attachment 2027917 View attachment 2027913 View attachment 2027914 View attachment 2027916 View attachment 2027915
AWESOME find my friend. It’s a winner! Congratulations!

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: Through Ancestry.com, I found a gentleman with the name inside the ring (1854-1924) who moved to a town nearby in 1870 and whose father died in the town where I found the ring in 1899. He promptly moved to Oregon in 1900, while siblings remained in the area. I'm thinking this is a late 1800s ring, early 1900s at the latest.

My apologies if there's a better way to share this update. I'm always willing to learn. Thanks @GoDeep @Digger RJ @Aureus @lenmac65 for the banner votes :-)

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: Through Ancestry.com, I found a gentleman with the name inside the ring (1854-1924) who moved to a town nearby in 1870 and whose father died in the town where I found the ring in 1899. He promptly moved to Oregon in 1900, while siblings remained in the area. I'm thinking this is a late 1800s ring, early 1900s at the latest.

My apologies if there's a better way to share this update. I'm always willing to learn. Thanks @GoDeep @Digger RJ @Aureus @lenmac65 for the banner votes :-)
I've only been a member of "TreasureNet" for a few years & I'm not a Moderator or on any rules committees, but from where I sit, your update is exactly where it should be. You are updating the rest of us on your find with an important
"provenance" about your great find. Congrats on the find !! That ring is
GORGEOUS & very hefty looking to boot. It's great that you are tracking down its' possible original owner & please continue to keep us updated on your progress right here in this thread that you started to share your lovely find with us. I'm changing my vote to "Banner". Huge congrats on your find of that beautiful, historic gold ring. Thanks for sharing your adventure. CHEERS !! J.T.G.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2027917 View attachment 2027913 View attachment 2027914 View attachment 2027916 View attachment 2027915
That's a keeper and you want to give it back!!! Congratulations

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: I've been able to build quite a biography of the man from two sources, but for the time being, I'll relate the following with regards to his standing in Freemasonry (according to the secretary of a lodge in SD; see images below):

1. The first icon "is either a plumb or it is trying to add the plumb to the 47th Problem of Euclid", significant to a Blue Lodge Mason
2. The second icon is a Keystone identifying him as member of the York Rite
3. The third icon (the headstamp) "identifies him as completing his Templar Degrees in the York Rite"
4-5. The fourth and fifth icons are one, symbolizing his membership in the Shrine.
6. Finally, the sixth icon is an obvious trowel and a clear Masonic symbol.

Thus, this fellow was a Blue Lodge Mason of the York Rite as well as a Shriner.

I gauge its provenance as follows: It was crafted in the 1880s and lost in about 1892. I'm still waiting on his full Masonic history, and once I get permission from the homeowner, I'll share more of his personal history as well.

Attachments

• Ring icon 01.jpg
    Ring icon 01.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Ring icon 02.jpg
    Ring icon 02.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 79
  • Ring icon 03.jpg
    Ring icon 03.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Ring icon 04 and 05 .jpg
    Ring icon 04 and 05 .jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Ring icon 06 .jpg
    Ring icon 06 .jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 79

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's pretty cool... congratulations!

Sam Reder

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2021
Anywhere
Detector(s) used
Study, deduction, intuition.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Então eu não posto há algum tempo, mas este tocou no meu Equinox 600, e eu fiquei muito feliz. Anel de ouro 18k, 17g.

From the insignia contained (H.T.W.S.S.T.K.S) it can already be proved as a Masonic item. The cross references the Knights of Saint John, who were captured and imprisoned on the Island of Malta. With the ring alone it is difficult to define its origin, so could you say where you found it? Or in which region?

OP
OP
T

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the insignia contained (H.T.W.S.S.T.K.S) it can already be proved as a Masonic item. The cross references the Knights of Saint John, who were captured and imprisoned on the Island of Malta. With the ring alone it is difficult to define its origin, so could you say where you found it? Or in which region?
Thanks. In post #32 I mention the full scope of the ring insignia. I already know it's location and much of where/when the owner was during his lifetime. I hope to share more once I get permission to do so.

Sam Reder

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2021
Anywhere
Detector(s) used
Study, deduction, intuition.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. In post #32 I mention the full scope of the ring insignia. I already know it's location and much of where/when the owner was during his lifetime. I hope to share more once I get permission to do so.
I will be waiting for updates. Any questions regarding Freemasonry can consult me. I'll be glad to help.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats again. This thread gets more and more interesting as you add additional detail and context. I hope this beautiful old gold gets the attention it clearly deserves. Good luck.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow, stunning ring. best of luck returning it to the owner. great save and well done

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW what a save!! That is one gorgeous ring:icon_thumleft: Absolutely one of the prettiest I have seen on T-Net. Banner vote is in!!

Ambam

Greenie
Jun 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: I've been able to build quite a biography of the man from two sources, but for the time being, I'll relate the following with regards to his standing in Freemasonry (according to the secretary of a lodge in SD; see images below):

1. The first icon "is either a plumb or it is trying to add the plumb to the 47th Problem of Euclid", significant to a Blue Lodge Mason
2. The second icon is a Keystone identifying him as member of the York Rite
3. The third icon (the headstamp) "identifies him as completing his Templar Degrees in the York Rite"
4-5. The fourth and fifth icons are one, symbolizing his membership in the Shrine.
6. Finally, the sixth icon is an obvious trowel and a clear Masonic symbol.

Thus, this fellow was a Blue Lodge Mason of the York Rite as well as a Shriner.

I gauge its provenance as follows: It was crafted in the 1880s and lost in about 1892. I'm still waiting on his full Masonic history, and once I get permission from the homeowner, I'll share more of his personal history as well.
Sounds like you've already been in contact with the right folks to find out more about him. I was going to suggest reaching out to local lodges and asking them about member records. That is one awesome ring. I'm hunting a local lodge in MO (same location since ~1910) and the only thing Masonic thing I've found is an aluminum token from the 1990s! :) (100 year challenge coin for one of the appendant bodies).

Blue Lodge: Main Masonic organization, must be a member to join all other Masonic groups.
Appendant Bodies: Shrine, York Rite, Knights Templar, etc.

Looking forward to finding out more about what you've discovered on this ring and the owner!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread