What's new

Is this a petrafied baby elephant?

searcherman

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Fisher F75 LTD Black
Found this last year in a creek with other rocks.I thought it was cool so I took it home.What do you think.It's solid rock.I couldn't find a date on it. :laughing7:Thanks for help and for looking
 

Attachments

  • DSC00227.webp
    DSC00227.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,122
  • DSC00228.webp
    DSC00228.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,112
  • DSC00229.webp
    DSC00229.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 2,110
I'm gonna say someone poured cement in a bag, let it set then dumpped it in the river.
Just a guess but it makes sense from the picture.
 
Upvote 0
concrete is my guess :coffee2:
 
Upvote 0
Wooly mammoth. No question.
 
Upvote 0
Definitely a mammoth fetus . .LOL Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Could be the beginning of "Alien- part 5".
 
Upvote 0
It could be Sandy Mammoth...but due to my vast experience in this field...I am going to have to say Mortar Mammoth...This species is Pre Plaster of Pachydermata, as pictured
 

Attachments

  • elephan.webp
    elephan.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,794
Upvote 0
This silly topic has more hits than some legit finds. Guess we get a little bored from IDing good stuff once in a while........I got your mammoth.......
 

Attachments

  • Large Bones (1).webp
    Large Bones (1).webp
    52 KB · Views: 1,787
  • Large Bones (2).webp
    Large Bones (2).webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,786
Upvote 0
I don't think this is a silly topic! The fossils in our area are sand stone and maybe limestone.This object isn't concrete or mortar.I wouldn't have posted it if it was.What you see in the photos that grey is allege that has grown onto it.Also I found It in a stream or branch in the middle of the woods close to big cliff where lots of rocks are.It is about 12"inches long.Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
searcherman said:
I don't think this is a silly topic! The fossils in our area are sand stone and maybe limestone.This object isn't concrete or mortar.I wouldn't have posted it if it was.What you see in the photos that grey is allege that has grown onto it.Also I found It in a stream or branch in the middle of the woods close to big cliff where lots of rocks are.It is about 12"inches long.Thanks!
I'm sorry searcherman. You question is not silly. Not at all. It would have been better stated that the discussion has become silly. In no way did I mean any disrespect toward your post. I just had a poorly chosen set of words. By all means, post anything you find. I believe that asking questions is a great way to learn what to bring home and what to leave insitu. Lord knows I have brought home plenty of rocks and other stuff, just because I DIDN'T know what they were. It's just that GypsyHeart's comment cracked me up.

HH!
 
Upvote 0
I apologize searcherman ...just trying to spread a little humor. I am sure someone here will come up with the answer you are looking for.
 
Upvote 0
Even I was a little surprised at most people's responses to this.

In the first and second pics, you can CLEARLY see the backbone (vertebrae). The third pic shows the head with an eye and mouth slit.

I don't know enough about fossils to say what kind, but I would definitely advise you to let someone at a local college or natural history museum look at it.

Best-Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom