What's new

Is This A "Scraper"?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this next to a spring here in the Shenandoah Valley and was told by a long time collector that it was a "scraper" used to scrape animal hides. Can anyone here confirm or expound on that? If so, any idea how old it might be? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • scraper.webp
    scraper.webp
    34 KB · Views: 130
  • scraper (1).webp
    scraper (1).webp
    65 KB · Views: 120
  • scraper (2).webp
    scraper (2).webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 132
  • scraper(3).webp
    scraper(3).webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 127
  • scraper(4).webp
    scraper(4).webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does not look like any type of scrapper that I have ever seen. What kind of material is that?
 
It does not appear to be the right material. It looks like rusted metal, but could be wrong, but it is not a scraper.
 
It's stone of some type. At first, I thought it was a chunk of concrete, but it's not. It has an indentation where your finger fits very nicely for the right grip. It is perfectly symmetrical.
 
From what I can see it looks like a conglomerate stone of some kind with an awful lot of patina on it.... probably from minerals in the soil brought up by the spring. Its pretty indecernable whatever it is. Here's one of my scrapers about that size. See how there is visible flakes removed around the edge.

ForumRunner_20130312_172027.webp



ForumRunner_20130312_172209.webp
 
Here's a chunk of conglomerate quartzite that appears similar. I found this on a site with other stone tools.
This actually has a pretty good edge. The chunks almost act as serrations.

ForumRunner_20130312_172443.webp



ForumRunner_20130312_172547.webp
 
Last edited:
Looks natural but has the rite shape. I find scrapers in flint and quartz. They come in all sizes from small to large. Ill show you one I found recent. all 3 of these are different types of scrapers.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2454.webp
    100_2454.webp
    174.1 KB · Views: 99
Thanks everyone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom