What's new

Is this part of an old well??

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2010
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
586
Golden Thread
0
Location
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a park yesterday and I stumbled on this in the woods. It was just off of a trail and there are some houses about 50-75 yards away. I intially thought it was part of a well but I figured I'd get a couple more opinions. THX! - WIT
 

Attachments

  • well.webp
    well.webp
    76.9 KB · Views: 516
savant365 said:
Hmm, I think my photo is a bit of a different structure, unless some were built just circular with no square base.

wstgo said:
is it concrete, red brick covered with cement or stone?

I didn't really notice any red brick. It's all just "concrete color" and I believe the lower part was pieced together (if I'm remembering correctly)

I won't be back today but I guess I'll have to take another photo.
 
Upvote 0
Have seen a square version like this that has a concrete cover, and is full of water on a property where an early 20th century home was located. I think it's a well, filled for safety reasons.
 
Upvote 0
Could be any number of things ranging from a concrete ring (whose meaning is unknown) to a cistern (as mentioned), possibly a well that has been filled-in, maybe a septic tank (or connection to a leech field)...

First, give it the sniff test...at different depths...if it doesn't smell, then eliminate the septic system...

Use a probe bar or reinforcement rod (rebar) and probe into the earth...might hit trash...

Very curious though...
 
Upvote 0
You didnt mention how big it is. Looks kinda small.
You dig down a bit and you may may find a valve.
Swing your detector over it.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
You didnt mention how big it is. Looks kinda small.
You dig down a bit and you may may find a valve.
Swing your detector over it.
Probably just an old man hole into a sewer or drain water system. If ound a bunch like that at the old Camp Logan in Houston. It's probably only about 6' deep.
 
Upvote 0
Blind.In.Texas said:
bigcypresshunter said:
You didnt mention how big it is. Looks kinda small.
You dig down a bit and you may may find a valve.
Swing your detector over it.
Probably just an old man hole into a sewer or drain water system. If ound a bunch like that at the old Camp Logan in Houston. It's probably only about 6' deep.

This is what I was thinking also! :icon_thumright:

Dave
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
You didnt mention how big it is. Looks kinda small.
You dig down a bit and you may may find a valve.
Swing your detector over it.

Sorry, It's roughly 3' across.

I put my coil in the middle of it at it went nuts. I only had my little gator digger with me at the time so I passed for the time being. I will return within the next few days, possible over this weekend and I'll take better pics and bring a better shovel.
 
Upvote 0
My guess is that it's a manhole adjustment ring, also known as a grade ring. The dimensions are about right. See the diagrams in these pdf's:

http://www.concrete-pipe.org/pdfs1/DD_20.pdf

http://www.iowadot.gov/erl/current/RS/content_eng/sw301.pdf

Try probing around under the edge, it may be a filled and abandoned manhole or it may just be a discarded adjustment ring. It could very well have a ring of iron rebar in it which is causing the detector to react. Could be something else though. I'd certainly investigate.
 
Upvote 0
Try discrimination on full.
 
Upvote 0
to me the picture looks like the hole is oval, not round, but that could be an optical illusion from the angle of the picture. Just to toss in another possibility, a small fish pond or fountain pool base. My dad tells me that back in the great depression, people in his neighborhood would raise goldfish and trade them, it was an activity that did not take a lot of money to do. His dad had an outdoor fish pond for the fish in the summer time, I remember seeing the remains of it when I was a child when visiting my grandmother.
 
Upvote 0
We have stuff like that around that are just watering troughs for cows or horses
 
Upvote 0
Well it could just be a ring around an old tree that is no longer there, The tree that is.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom