What's new

Is this s good deal.

newnan man

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
8,911
Reaction score
36,469
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know nothing about coins. Is this worth buying?
Screenshot_20250630-113322_Chrome.webp
 
Be skeptical. I've seen that ad before. If it was really for a complete set, it would be a great deal. But read the fine print. Somewhere it will say that the price is for your first coin, and you'll get an additional one every month or whatever. $130 apiece for a Morgan dollar is not exactly a stellar price -- they'll vary by year, mint mark, and condition, of course, and I expect the price on this "set" would vary with each coin as well. In the end you'd likely be better off assembling your own set from a reputable dealer. And it would cost considerably more than $130 (or even $260).
 
Danbury Mint used to sell the same collection (currently out of stock), but it was priced at $159.95 per coin. You paid in instalments and received one coin every two months.

Danbury Mint.webp


Even if those were very worn examples with the most common mintmarks, the silver melt value alone would be around $28 per coin. So, there must be some 'small print' in the advert that you're not showing... or they're replicas in non-precious metal.
 
If you are find of collecting Morgans and trust the sellers claimed condition of each piece ; AND you can stomach the price ...Maybe.

IF you are interested in silver look at options.
Why you would buy matters.
IF you were to sell what would sell easy or locally?
Fragmented/ fragmentable silver for end of world barter for example.
Or just a stack of rounds. Or bars. One oz. rounds or bars might be easier to divest yourself of. Or try to talk a gas station attendant into accepting. L.o.l..

Ask at a coin shop what they'll pay you for a round and they will probably state spot value plus a premium. learning what spot price and
premium" mean help tell you how much a cut shops take.
But when silver sells for more than you paid for it that's alright too should it be worth more than when you bought it.

An outfit like yours pictured is a specialty item. A seller would want to sell a whole set. And unless it gets parted out to individual coins /rounds , so would most buyers want the set complete. (Unless priced below spot maybe).

Rounds that are recognized like Morgans are good. Can you prove the amount of silver or that they are silver?
There are American eagles you can look at the price of. Canadian Maple leafs too. Both are popular and commonly recognized.
A private mints rounds are not as recognized. But still silver!
Expect a premium (cost) added for the favorites., highly demanded, and for any the seller paid more than current spot if possible.

Look for a near spot price. Then free shipping.

Keep in mind the weight of that silver.
Less gold costs more. And is more portable.

Here's a place you can browse. (45.29 for a one oz. Maple Leaf round for example. Ships free.https://www.silvertowne.com/product/31833/2025-canada-silver-maple-leaf-1oz-bu-coin )
There are plenty of other sites and a few mints. Buyer beware!
 
Last edited:
Be skeptical. I've seen that ad before. If it was really for a complete set, it would be a great deal. But read the fine print. Somewhere it will say that the price is for your first coin, and you'll get an additional one every month or whatever. $130 apiece for a Morgan dollar is not exactly a stellar price -- they'll vary by year, mint mark, and condition, of course, and I expect the price on this "set" would vary with each coin as well. In the end you'd likely be better off assembling your own set from a reputable dealer. And it would cost considerably more than $130 (or even $260).
Good eye Robert !
 
I would also be extremely leery of buying "collectible" coins from unknown companies as there are countless fakes out there from numerous sources, mainly the Chinese, and they are becoming VERY good at their counterfeits. If the coin has any sort of commercial resale value, you can bet the Chinese have knocked it off!
 
I know a little about coins, and robertk's advice is dead on.
 
Thanks everyone, I've stacked some silver for years but never old silver. I'm going to pass on this.
The trust score is 1/100.
Can it get any lower?🤣
Buy yourself a round for passing on this scam.

Screenshot_20250701_205704_Chrome.webp
 
This is a scam. Some old silver dollars would be worth FAR more then the price they are asking for. I was at a garage sale once and then had a bunch of half dollars for sale, They were replicas all in each ones plastic case protecting them. I was much younger then i am now,. I did not look very close at them. At the time I was OVERWHELMED with my finding. WHat I did not see was on each look alike half dollar on the back was four printed letters "COPY"
Just CHECK very well before you buy
 
I was fooled by a tenth ounce “gold” coin that was stamped 24 karat, what I didn’t see initially was a very tiny decimal point in front of the 24. The school of hard knocks is the best one, but I’m still sore!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom