What's new

Is this the day

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still am not 100 percent on this one so I am needing opinions
 

Attachments

  • image-4188990821.webp
    image-4188990821.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3971217279.webp
    image-3971217279.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2536383060.webp
    image-2536383060.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3154115875.webp
    image-3154115875.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
Painter don't you live in Tn. if so it is not a Meserve point those are Nebraska points, it could be a Paint Rock Valley point which is a Tn. and Al. point 7000 to 10,000 years old which would class it in the paleo class. Jmo We all can guess at it but there are just to many styles and things that could have been done to the point in the past to say for sure. All we can do is guess, unless it falls dead into a style that is text book.
 
Last edited:
Meserve points are found in alot of states besides Nebraska.. The one in the photo is from Texas.
There's several subtypes
 
Last edited:
I’m not going to try and put a name on the two points shown in this thread, both nice points by the way but I will say that the Meserve is no longer considered a valid type.

“General consensus appears to be that the Meserve is not a valid cultural-historical or technological complex but simply a modified blade form when projectile point blades are resharpened.
The Basal form of the so-called Meserve can generally be easily subsumed within other types such as Plainview or Dalton”
(J. Hofman 1996, Archaeology and Paleoecology of the Central Great Plains).
 
Meserve points are found in alot of states besides Nebraska.. The one in the photo is from Texas

I agree with you there but they are mostly western points, if I am not off base on that and I could be. They have just been connected to Nebraska more often.
 
It's definitely Dalton ish
 
I agree with you there but they are mostly western points, if I am not off base on that and I could be. They have just been connected to Nebraska more often.

Right, the original Meserve site was found in central Nebraska in 1923.
 
Last edited:
Looks good from where I am sitting. Once in a lifetime find. So lets here the story on it. Congrats
 
If my wife doesn't get off early enough to get the kids off bus I would not have found this piece ... So my big thanks goes to her Lololol I had an extra hour to hunt the creek and when i bent over to look at a big flake I caught a glimpse of the base and thought for sure it was just another random piece haha . When I pulled it out I went straight to the house to try and see what I could find out ....it was a pretty good feeling rock
 
If my wife doesn't get off early enough to get the kids off bus I would not have found this piece ... So my big thanks goes to her Lololol I had an extra hour to hunt the creek and when i bent over to look at a big flake I caught a glimpse of the base and thought for sure it was just another random piece haha . When I pulled it out I went straight to the house to try and see what I could find out ....it was a pretty good feeling rock

Really nice piece. Im still looking for a whole Dalton and a whole Paleo. Im sure they are here cause I have seen others find them.
 
I have found every time period in this spot .... I know you will find one ;) I'm still looking for my Fluted Cumberland and May never find it but it sure is fun looking !!!!!
 
Alls I have found is the bases of both type. Im sure a whole one should washout with all of this rain we are having this week. Its just a matter of who gets there first to pick it up.
 
I'm expecting lots of ice here then a 5 degree night
 
awesome find painter. I'm sure that one will be put front and center in your collection!!!!
 
Thanks outlaw and mrs brown I am still pretty darn excited got a bunch of ice today so no hunting for me tree limbs are breaking so not safe haha
 
Looks almost like a redstone. I'm not sure. I do think its paleo. If not, early transitional. Sweet find!!
 
Thanks NC your alive haha
 
Painter, you asked for opinions and here is mine. That's an awesome piece! well done on that find.
 
Greatly greatly appreciated nc nurseryman thank you very much !!!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom