What's new

Is this what I think it is?

Detectorist143

Full Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2017
Messages
211
Reaction score
991
Golden Thread
1
Location
New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple pics of a rock that's been on my property longer than me. Pulled it out of a rock wall a
Few years ago running down my property line.
What do you all think? Looks worked big time to me. Pestle?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170711_204523.webp
    IMG_20170711_204523.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20170711_204721.webp
    IMG_20170711_204721.webp
    839.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20170711_204519.webp
    IMG_20170711_204519.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
One more pic

My knee fits perfect.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170711_204546.webp
    IMG_20170711_204546.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
I think you mean a metate or a bowl. Check for smoothing in the bottom where all the leaves and dirt are at.
 
Yep it's pretty smooth on the inside. Wife put it by our pond so it's filled with leaves. I can take closer pics tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing them. Thx walsbury ya meant metate.
 
always like looking. clean it up and take some pics. Good find if that is what it is. I have heard old rock walls where they picked rocks are good places to look for stuff.
 
I'm fairly certain that your ergonomically correct "knee knock out" is a recent break by the looks of the difference of patina. I'm not entirely certain that would be a comfortable nor easy way to grind either. I could be wrong but I'm casting my vote as natural.
 
Hi monster, sorry all. Crappy weather here so I did not get a chance to clean it up. Plan on doing it today.
 
Few more pics

I cleaned all the leaves and stuff off it.
You guys tell me what you think

I am by no means any type of rock expert.
Let alone Indian artifact rocks.
The center of the bowl "rock" I'd very smooth.
The Knee hole is also smooth not raged or sharp as I would think a natural break would be. But again I'm no expert. It is also 15 inches wide and very heavy. It was not carried from place to place.
Lastly it kinda sits funny on the table. The rock sits on its side knee hole UP well the bowl is at an angle.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170714_205249.webp
    IMG_20170714_205249.webp
    572.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20170714_205332.webp
    IMG_20170714_205332.webp
    962.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20170714_205209.webp
    IMG_20170714_205209.webp
    936.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20170714_205315.webp
    IMG_20170714_205315.webp
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 96
Couple more.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170714_205352.webp
    IMG_20170714_205352.webp
    570.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20170714_205451.webp
    IMG_20170714_205451.webp
    552.1 KB · Views: 93
I think maybe it was always that shape naturally so not necessarily man made but more than likely would have been utilized as a bowl or metate especially if found around a site you have found artifacts.
 
I'm seeing natural weathered rock.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
 
With better pics it doesn't look like anything other than a good piece to start on. Next time!
 
So cool even if it natural. Wild what mother nature can make with no help from man. I have never found any other artifacts here. But I really have never looked for any more. My area does not have any native settlements. But it was a hunting fishing ground.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom