What's new

It was a REALE nice day...Twice!

dirtdigger1581

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
591
Reaction score
270
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well after the rain subsided here in SE Virginia I decided to take the E-trac out to sniff out a few treasures. It didn't take me long to locate it once I got out of the truck either. The first signal I came across was a shaky 12-34/12-35 that dipped into the ferrous range often. But it was good enough that I wanted to check it out still. About six inches down and in the first hole I dug for the day laid this nice little Spanish Cob. I think it's a 1 Reale cob, but I'm hoping to get some help IDing it. Not a bad way to start out the hunt. Walked around for about 1.5 hours and didn't come up with much else until I got back to the car. The last signal I found was about five feet from my passenger door and down deep. The E-trac could barely pick it up. It rang in at 01-38, fairly steady, but wouldn't register on each pass. Decided to dig down to see if the signal got any stronger. As I got down closer to it I used the sunray probe and located it about 9 inches down. Out of the hole popped another severely worn Reale. I can see the date of 172_. Might be '25 or '26. King Charles III. I think this is a half reale based on the size 17mm.

So the day started off hot and ended hot. Can't think of a better way to plan a hunt.

If anyone wants to help ID the Cob I've posted it in the Cob room as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Happy hunting everyone!

-Nate
 

Attachments

  • 02-05-12cob.webp
    02-05-12cob.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,383
  • 02-05-12Reales.webp
    02-05-12Reales.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 02-05-12cob.webp
    02-05-12cob.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,370
Upvote 0
Nice!!! :headbang: Congrats! :thumbsup:
 
That seems to be a reoccurring theme, great things are found in the vicinity of the parking spot. Whats up with that? Congrats!
 
stringplucker said:
That seems to be a reoccurring theme, great things are found in the vicinity of the parking spot. Whats up with that? Congrats!

I guess I need to just hunt in a circle around the truck.
 
Beautiful finds! I love seeing people finding cobs. Crudely made, but beautiful all in one.
 
dirtdigger1581 said:
stringplucker said:
That seems to be a reoccurring theme, great things are found in the vicinity of the parking spot. Whats up with that? Congrats!

I guess I need to just hunt in a circle around the truck.

:laughing7: I was thinking more along the lines of harnessing a few detectors around the vehicle and then just drive through the fields.
 
Nice cob, always cool when they have the date.
-Evan
 
metalev4 said:
Nice cob, always cool when they have the date.
-Evan

Thanks! I agree...Wish they all had em.
 
Wow I would love to find one of them. Congrats on some amazing Reales :hello2:
 
Goldirocks said:
Wow I would love to find one of them. Congrats on some amazing Reales :hello2:

Thanks Goldirocks! Hope you get one some day. The cob is oldest coin I've found so far that I can confirm a date on.
 
So many times people make great finds near where they parked their vehicle...especially after spending hours searching the adjacent property.

Maybe thats the REALE lesson learned...

Look again and maybe you'll find others... :icon_thumleft:
 
stefen said:
So many times people make great finds near where they parked their vehicle...especially after spending hours searching the adjacent property.

Maybe thats the REALE lesson learned...

Look again and maybe you'll find others... :icon_thumleft:

I know what you mean. I've done this a few other times as well. Found a 10K gold ring with three diamonds last year not 10 ft from my car. And again last fall I found a nice seated dime about 15 ft from my vehicle as I was heading toward the area I wanted to search. Maybe from now on I'll just do laps around my car until I get further and further out. Seems to be working.
 
Man I would pass out if I found those... sweet. nice finds
 
Fantastic cob,I would love to find one!
 
birdman said:
Fantastic cob,I would love to find one!

Thanks! I would think you might have a chance at some down there in NC.
 
Congratulations Mate, I can still remember the very first cob I dug several years ago. Digging the silver is always nice, congratulations on the double header!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom